I have been told that I will need separate tickets to ride these interconnected resorts because (in the delightful words of the lovely lady at Myoko Tourist Office) "they are on terms of cat and dog".

The only way around this appears to be to pre-purchase a "Myoko Big-4 Pass", which costs Y5000 as opposed to Y3900. Is this worth doing or should I just stick to one or other tickets and save some cash?

• 1 month later...

I was surprised this year that there is a conflict between the two places. I've been going there for years and passing between the 2 resorts without ever having a problem while having only bought a ticket for Akakura Onsen. Was there last weekend and noticed that there are even signs this year indicting when you are passing from one resort to another.

I'm not sure about this, maybe Myoko Guy can help, but I think the 'Big 4' pass is a seasons ticket and the day pass is called 'Mt. Myoko Ticket'. Furthermore, I was informed that the 'Mt. Myoko Ticket' didn't include Akakura Onsen... strange but I'm getting used to these things the longer I live here and didn't inquire futher as I was planning on staying Kanko for the day anyway!

Anyway, I agree with MG. Stay at Kanko for the day and don't head into Onsen until the end!

You can get a Myoko big-4 day pass that covers Akakan, Akakura Onsen, Ikenotaira and Suginohara. You have to get it through the Myoko Tourist Office. Costs Y5000, so significantly more expensive. Also you have to convince the Akakan lifties that is is a legit ticket, which took more than a few minutes the first time we did it. Seeing as Akakura Onsen is pretty uninspiring, I wouldn't bother. Stick to Akakan.

Originally Posted By: grazza
Also you have to convince the Akakan lifties that is is a legit ticket, which took more than a few minutes the first time we did it. Seeing as Akakura Onsen is pretty uninspiring, I wouldn't bother. Stick to Akakan.

In my experience, having to convince the lifties that it's a legit ticket leads me to believe that it's not a legit ticket. Japanese tend to be very accommodating and probably just let you get away with it... especially if you were trying to convince them in English. Anyway, stick to Akakan unless you want to ride park!

Heard it's been pretty warm up there recently! Hopefully this weekends snow will get everything back to normal!