John Coates, the head of Australian Olympic Committee, has conceded publicly that the Poms might edge out the Aussies. "Not bad for a country that has no swimming pools and very little soap."

Top marks for cultural sensitivity thumbsdown But get very precious at a whiff of criticism.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Get off your bike, BP. The front page headline of the Worst Orstrayan was "Why we Hate the Poms".

This is racist shite, by any stretch. Take it to a civilised country and insert pejorative of choice.

Actually I have a problem with this 'hate' thing as well.
It's a word that's thrown around far too loosly here in the sporting media but don't get too precious Soubs. The word is not just reserved for Pomms and Kiwis.Queenslanders and New South Welshmen always go on about their hatred of each other in relation to sport. It has a different context inside the country than it does outside. Anyway, it's wrong and shouldn't be used.

Btw, we didn't start the fight. You did. And neither did John Coates. He's right about the soap too just quietly, my father in law is the stinkyest man on the planet.

Orstraya invented sledging, and made it into an art form. Giving it is a pleasure,but taking it makes me a troll.

Walking in to a non-airconditioned lecture theatre at Cretin Uni was like walking into a hot armpit. The Orstrayans stank. Thank you John Coates. Still being duchessed in the luxury lane I see.

lol Apology not really necessary Soub, but good on ya for offering one. As I said, that kind of language shouldn't be tolerated but does need to be put in context of how it is used (as Mantas pointed out) And to me it's not getting defensive when you are just taking the fight back to someone who has a go at you. It's just responding and fighting back when one is started. Is that getting precious? If so, then lol Mate, I'm sure we could all offer examples of idiots saying things in every country, so why not have a go at Mike Myers and his stereotyped piss-take off the Brits? You know, bad teeth and all that stuff? Anyway, it doesn't really matter. The original story of this thread has not even seen the light of day in the press here since the first day it broke...