Is this all 'deference to foreign sensitivities' or are there just lots of bad mannered people?

"Etiquette experts have long advised hosts to avoid discussing politics and religion. But salaries, love lives and health are also off limits during the Olympics, as Beijing's courtesy campaign reaches its final stages.

For three years or more, officials have been training residents to be on their best behaviour, launching drives against spitting, smoking and swearing and encouraging locals to form orderly queues.

The latest set of instructions is displayed on "Eight don't asks" posters in Dongcheng, a central district of Beijing. They urge residents who meet foreigners to avoid questions on their age, salary, love life, health, income, political views, religious beliefs or personal experiences.

"It is normal for Chinese to ask people they just met such questions, but foreigners respond negatively," said Wang Zhaoqian, a spokeswoman for the Beijing municipal government.

"By educating locals, we hope that they will become more socially sensitive when communicating with visitors."

Quote:
It recommends comments such as: "You are really great."

lol

The orderly queue thing is a good suggestion though - there will be lots of foreign people in Beijing soon and the push push push you find in China would just FREAK those people out! I am not pushy and I stood in the same spot in a queue as an invited international guest in the invited international guests queue - for about half an hour until Papa came in with his more pushy demeanour...it was locals forcing thier way in front of me. Scary!

But telling people they are great and not inquiring about thier health - a bit over the top!