Man he was old!!

Did you see him in Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine, not only was he an insensitive fool, but he was so old he actually walked like the apes in POTA!! lol.gif

Oh well

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Man he was old!!
Did you see him in Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine, not only was he an insensitive fool, but he was so old he actually walked like the apes in POTA!! lol.gif

You know Tubby Beaver you obviously know very little about the guy, sure at the end of his life he became rather conservative and grumpy but you should judge the guy for all the things he accomplished and did during his life. Which is quite an impressive list. He was one of the most politically active actors ever and on both sides of the spectrum.

Here are some wikisnippets of what he got up to..

Heston campaigned for Presidential candidate Adlai Stevenson in 1956 and John F. Kennedy in 1960. When an Oklahoma movie theater premiering his movie was segregated, he joined a picket line outside in 1961. During the civil rights march held in Washington, D.C. in 1963, he accompanied Martin Luther King Jr..
In later speeches, Heston said he helped the civil rights cause "long before Hollywood found it fashionable." Heston planned to campaign for Lyndon Johnson, but when filming on Major Dundee went over schedule, did not.

In 1968, following the assassination of Senator Robert F. Kennedy, Heston appeared on The Joey Bishop Show and, along with fellow actors Gregory Peck, Kirk Douglas and James Stewart, called for public support for President Johnson's Gun Control Act of 1968.

Heston saw McCarthyism and racial segregation as helping the cause of Communism worldwide, and opposed both. He also opposed the Vietnam War

At a Time Warner stockholders meeting, he castigated the company for releasing an Ice-T album which included the song "Cop Killer", which depicted the killing of police officers.

In an address to students at Harvard Law School entitled Winning the Cultural War, Heston expressed his disdain for political correctness, stating "If Americans believed in political correctness, we'd still be King George's boys - subjects bound to the British crown." He stated "Political correctness is tyranny with manners". He went on to say that white pride is just as valid as black pride or red pride or anyone else's pride.
Heston opposed abortion and gave the introduction to a 1987 pro-life documentary by Bernard Nathanson called Eclipse of Reason which focuses on late-term abortions. Heston served on the Advisory Board of Accuracy in Media (AIM), a conservative media watchdog group founded by the late Reed Irvine.

and in regards to Michael Moores film, its Michael Moore! he ambushes and sets up people, corners them, he could make anyone look bad, thats his deal if you hadn't noticed. He twists the truth. Moore makes Goebbels look amateur.
As for Heston, campaigning for Civil Rights, opposing the Vietnam War, yes very insensitive activities by an ape walking old man.....
No one could ever accuse him of not speaking his mind, following his convictions and standing up and being heard.

Why he switched from Liberal Democrat to Conservative in the 1980's I don't know, but looking at the Democratic party who can really blame him?

Politics aside, I like him as an actor, he was awesome in Ben Hur and Planet of the Apes.

TBH honest SG I don't care. I was only alive for a short time of his life and even then he wasn't exactly high on my radar. So his legacy is the snippets I remember and they are for his later years.

For the record, he was good in Ben Hur, but terrible in Planet of the Apes.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
but terrible in Planet of the Apes.

Oh my God. I'm back. I'm home. All the time, it was... We finally really did it. You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

he made that movie, the four following movies and the remake sucked but the original is a classic

his last ever interview, quite poignant
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4599029

I didn't know that stuff, SG. Sounds like an interesting guy, actually. Difficult to pin down.

Anyway, the first Planet of the Apes rocked!! The following movies were BAD, but I'd put them in the 'So Bad, They're Good' catagory for sure. Except for the remake, which just wasn't very good.

Michael Moore is an idiot for re-editing and twisting what people say. If he could be bothered to do some decent research, I'm sure the gun lobby have said lots of outrageous things. There's no need to make them up.

As for the Heston, he appeared in POTA, Soylent Green, and the Omega Man, three SF classics. The 1970s was kind of a golden age for deep (or deepish) SF about future doom. It kind of ended when Star Wars came along and made shit loads of money as basically goodies vs. baddies with lots of special effects.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles

As for the Heston, he appeared in POTA, Soylent Green, and the Omega Man, three SF classics. The 1970s was kind of a golden age for deep (or deepish) SF about future doom. It kind of ended when Star Wars came along and made shit loads of money as basically goodies vs. baddies with lots of special effects.

Omega man, I watched that just recently after seeing the Will Smith re-make.
The essence of the movie was great, but the overall acting was pretty cheesy, I must say it was one of Heston's poorer roles, he had to resort to the the standard Chuck Heston "take my shirt off and show of my chest" scenes more than necesesary.
Havent seen soylent green, must check it out.

With all the food riots of the past few weeks I think Soylent green could be a timely movie to watch, got a copy and will watch it tonight.

Quote:
Soylent Green is a 1973 dystopian science fiction movie depicting a bleak future in which overpopulation, global warming, and the resulting severe damage to the environment have led to widespread unemployment and poverty. Real fruit, vegetables, and meat are rare, expensive commodities, and much of the population survives on processed food rations, including "soylent green" wafers.