Best/worst times to go to Hakuba in January

A group of us is thinking of coming to Hakuba for 7 to 10 days next January (in 2009).

We could start this visit any time from the 10th to the 15th, so the range of potential dates would be the 10th to the 25th.

I've done a general google search and found that there is a national holiday for Japanese residents on the second Monday of January (for seijin no hi). This would therefore be on 12 jan 2009, which is within our potential travel dates.

My google search also revealed that the Chinese new year is 26-28 Jan 2009, which is after our potential travel dates.

Are there any other dates that we should be aware of when the crowds on the slopes could be greater than usual.

What would be the least busy time for us to go?

Are there any events happening in Hakuba during that period that we'd be mad to miss?

Hope you can help.

The obvious one would be to be in Nagano for Jan 15 so you can see the Nozawa Fire Festival.

Yes, its in Nozawa, not Hakuba, but lots of places in Hakuba organize trips to go and see it. Its two hours and a bit hours each way.

Obviously, going to Nozawa instead of Hakuba is also an option.

Crowding of a ski resort by Japanese terms is not really crowding at all, so I wouldn't be so bothered the odd long weekend anyway.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles

Crowding of a ski resort by Japanese terms is not really crowding at all, so I wouldn't be so bothered the odd long weekend anyway.

I don't know about that mr Wiggles. Last year's long weekend at Happo and 47 was pretty crazy. I know what crowded is, I come from Oz. We went from no lift queues what so ever mid-week, to long lift lines and extremely busy slopes on the weekend.

Good tip, Mr Wiggles, regarding the Nozawa fire festival.

Thanks for that.

We would prefer to go to Hakuba, but will consider making the trip to Nozawa for the festival.

The question will be whether it might be a bit of a hassle with kids, who will be aged between 3 and 10.

Has anyone done the trip - to Noz and back in the one day/night - with kids before?

Would you recommend it?

my daughter raced in Nozawa recently - most kids stayed one night we decided to do the one day trip. Not too bad slept most of the way on the return leg.

Took about 2 hours.

I would suggest a one day trip leave early then you wont be missing any ski-ing