The last week of my Japan trip

Hey people.

My japan trip this year involves 10days in Hirafu then a week in tokyo - well we are going back to tokyo after a week. My question for all is what can you recommend me doing in that week - and what is the best way to go about it.

The plan is to spend the weekend (friday and sat night at least) in the big city partying and searching about - the sunday we shall go to harujuku to check out mentalist japanese dudes then maybe do a bit of touring - perhaps nagano/ anywhere. Im sure we will be keen to grab a few extra days riding if possible.

I was thinking about getting a weeks JR pass and just nippin' about the country. any suggestions?

Cheers in advance

If you've never been to Japan before, catch the train down South to Kamakura and look at the giant bronze Buddha and some temples and shrines. You could also go North to Nikko, but the concentration of sites is more diluted, so you will spend more time on the bus or walking. You can pretty much get off the train at Kita-Kamakura and walk toward the seacoast and hit a different temple every fifteen minutes or so until lunchtime, by which time you will be in the main part of Kamakura town.

Have a wander around the Ginza area. In particular, look for the Sapporo Ginza Lion Beerhall on Chuo dori runs north(ish) from near the Shimbashi station. They do a great Lamb Ghengis Khan and have great atmosphere.

We took a sumidagawa cruise from Asakusa to the Hama rikyu gardens, had a walk around there for a bit. Also went to see Kappabashi dori (kitchenware street) where the plastic food samples are made for restaurants. Sunday when we were there so all closed, but the samples were amazing.

So many cool places to go on the big smoke. Try Akihabara for electronic stuff - don't have to buy, just gaze in awe and wonderment!

if I was you i would get the pass then you can easily do extra days at kagur etc if you feel so inclined -afaik u can use the shink unlimited if that is the pass you are talking about

what Ezorizu said is a great idea - you can hire bikes at kamakura stn right near the policebox - grab a map then you can go see almost anything you want there at your leisure -

have fun

on the ANA site there are the following options on the cost page

One-Way

Roundtrip Fare

Tokuwari 1(Specified flight discount)

Tokuwari 7(Specified flight discount)

Tabiwari

What are the last 3 and can i get them? apparently they are available and the Tabiwari is like half price - please help!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I cant help with the ANA stuff, but I'll recommend the JR East 4 day multi pass. It allows any 4 days travel on almost any train (shink inc.) within Honshu east. We had one last year. We used it on 4 separate days but they only stamped it twice. I threw it in the bin when we left with 2 full unused days on it.