I have been playing with mobile apps and many have GPS capability. This is also one of the reasons why I did not buy the Pieps Vector. GPS capable smartphones provide you with the ability to make an emergency call at the same time as being able to provide GPS coordinates. No point having coordinates if you cannot tell someone about it.

They even have 'slope/gradient' apps. I just have to remember to switch off the data roaming. I would never travel backcountry without a mobile (assuming coverage is possible). Comes in handy with a beacon.

Ha! If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. The missing Mammut Pulse beacon finally showed up (in Aust) and the replacement one I bought has just arrived into Kutchan. Now I'm going to have to send one of these suckers back for my refund. Grrr, unnecessary cost and hassle. Good news, the Avalung sling arrived so at least something is going my way. It will be interesting to see how both of these fit together (comfort when wearing both of them). Will require some adjustment so that they are not overlapping when worn.

At least I know how to use all the gear. I am really hoping that the Avy course that I booked goes ahead on 7-8 Feb. Just pending confirmation of other participants (numbers). It would be a shame if it doesn't go ahead.