• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your biggest issue will be getting to Shin Osaka that early. Depending on where your staying, it might be best to take a taxi. If you know where you're staying, let me know and I'll tell you your best option. If you're staying at the airport, you can take a train directly to Shin Osaka but you're not going to arrive at the bullet train until 7:30.

If you stay near the Midosuji line that would be OK to make the shikansen by 6.

Ewok2 hows it going? I may get a lift with you later in the season if I can make the time for a trip or two.

The Sunshine tours buses always seemed OK to me-but yeah, the bus does suck by and large. Have done the trip about 20 times I guess but would probably pay extra and train up now.

I will be staying near the Shin-imamiya area thus far.

I will probably take the dobuetsen-mae(sic) subway to shin-osaka. so if that starts early i think i will be right..

I might just take a later one so i dont have to rush like a mad bull..

thanks again, bro.

the taxi sounds like a good idea.

The idea of travelling in japan terrifies me.

I dont know why coz i have travelled all through southeast asia, india, and all the way to europe overland. buses, trains, trucks, tractors, with goats and chickens and bags of potatoes.

I have no idea why travelling in japan freaks me out!

Don't freak out. It's not that bad but if you're on a tight schedule, it could be a bit stressful. The subway's good cause it'll take you right there and the shinkansen will be signposted from the platform. But first you've got to get a Shinkansen ticket and get on the right train. Use the site I told you about to map out your trains, write them down and you'll be sweet.

Staying down in Shin-Imamiya should be interesting. Pretty rough down there (by Japan standards). Cheapest stand-up bars and drinking food in town with some hardy characters around. They're always pretty friendly to foreigners though cause a lot of people around there are outcasts.

This is a good website for travel times. I just checked for tomorrow morning and the first trains leave just after 5AM and get to Shin Osaka around 5:30, leaving you plenty of time to follow the many signs in English to the shinkansen.

thanks trippy and davo.

I know my fears are irrational. \:\)

I will print out a whole bunch of maps and schedules and i should be fine.

Shin-Imamiya sounds interesting. No wonder the hotels are so cheap there! But i sorta like outcasts and i should feel right at home.

Originally Posted By: Davo

Ewok2 hows it going? I may get a lift with you later in the season if I can make the time for a trip or two.

Hisashiburi Davo, things are going great, hope all's well with u and ur family.
When we go up to hkb next, pls bring ur music.

Hey Ewok2 all good with us cheers, the second little monster is walking now and the biggger monster is starting to talk up a storm.

I'll bring my tunes for sure, got some new Kiwi flavours and some other good stuff. Just gotta get the time to go sometime this season.

Shin Imamiya would be an interesting place to stay if you want to see Osaka's downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Change of plans.

It seems like the "Haruka" limited express train goes from the kansai airport and only stops at tennoji and shin-osaka.

So I might just stay at a hotel near shin-osaka station and get an early shink(or sleep in)

Here is the timetable..

http://www.japanrail.com/pdf/timetable/Timetable32-34.pdf

I tried to find an airport limo bus that goes to shin-osaka but could not find one.

Hotels at shin-osaka are a bit more expensive but meh!

Originally Posted By: kokodoko
Change of plans.
It seems like the "Haruka" limited express train goes from the kansai airport and only stops at tennoji and shin-osaka.
So I might just stay at a hotel near shin-osaka station and get an early shink(or sleep in)

Here is the timetable..

http://www.japanrail.com/pdf/timetable/Timetable32-34.pdf

I tried to find an airport limo bus that goes to shin-osaka but could not find one.

Hotels at shin-osaka are a bit more expensive but meh!

Actually, Shin-Osaka has a lot of very cheap business hotels under 6000 yen.

http://www.jalan.net/uw/uwp1400/uww1400....bFlg=0&listId=1

Thanks Tripitaka, we are trying to find a hotel right now, to stay at.

We arrive 5th feb @ 8pm, and Taxi to Osaka alone was gonna be 10000yen.

Will pass the link onto the wifey...

I told her we should just get train from the Airport into Osaka, then find a nice cheap hotel to SLEEP! (long crap flight).

Thanks for postinmg that link matey..

Originally Posted By: Domokun_72dpi
Thanks Tripitaka, we are trying to find a hotel right now, to stay at.

We arrive 5th feb @ 8pm, and Taxi to Osaka alone was gonna be 10000yen.

Will pass the link onto the wifey...

I told her we should just get train from the Airport into Osaka, then find a nice cheap hotel to SLEEP! (long crap flight).

Thanks for postinmg that link matey..

Unfortunately, many hotels that advertise in English tend to be overpriced. The really cheap ones are either too unsophisticated, too grungy or too scared to do so.
 Originally Posted By: Ewok 2
nice one tripitaka =)
koko, u coming on Saturday?

sorry? did i miss something? What is on saturday?
I would love to come whatever it is but i will be babysitting this weekend. \:\)

Thanks, trippy. Sensational travel advice as always.

oooops. sorry...

i meant

u flying into kansai on Saturday (in january??),

not

u coming to hakuba this Saturday...

i'm a horrible translator who needs a translator. crazy.gif

happy babysitting koko =)