Basically you buy this box and hook it up to your (parents') home TV and a broadband (or faster) connection (via a router), then you can connect to your home TV from anywhere in the world with a xp pc and a fast enough connection. You need a pc to set up the router but you don't have to leave the pc in your (parents') home after it's set up.

There are UK and US versions of the box.

my cousins in the USA has it and has invited me to use their slingbox, might take her up during the football season - her husband is a football nut and gets a cable package that includes every game - go the broncos.

Problem is whatever the person with the slingbox is watching on their TV is whatever you are watching. Luckily my cousin has two cable receiver units so their slingbox is on the spare one.

My friend here in Japan is watching her folks slingbox back in the States, she says its great but her father choices in TV shows is frustrating!

I'm not sure about the US but the UK slingbox has a Freeview tuner built in so you can watch the Freeview channels without affecting what your parents are watching. If you want to watch satelite, cable or digital (other than the standard Freeview ones) you have to watch what they are watching though.

SG, what does your friend say about the quality? Do you know what speed connections she has at each end?