Near where I work.

Oh goody.

http://au.biz.yahoo.com/060326/5/mcxl.html

Plans are underway to build the world's tallest tower in Tokyo, about 600 meters (1,970 feet) high, in a derelict railway yard, press reports have said.

Japan's six broadcasting networks have selected a former freight shunting yard as the site for New Tokyo Tower which will become their radio and television transmitter tower by 2010, the reports said.

Why don't they build a park instead? I guess Tokyo isn't as bad as Osaka in this sense though. Osaka essentially has almost no parks, and I would have liked to have seen them build a central city park in Umeda. Instead they're turning the big JR freightyards into a robotics center amongst other things.

The current Tokyo Tower is a TV transmitter and it isn't tall enough to reach over other buildings. The new tower, besides being a big rampant erection in the heart of Japan, will meet everybody's needs for Downtown, Sanma, and a glittering parade of pop-stars saying 'Yorishiku onegaishimasu' for ten minutes to that bloke with dark glasses.

I just read the link. The 800 meter building to be opened in 2008 in Dubai sounds cool.

Anyways, I guess the New Tokyo Tower allows/complements the switchover to complete digital broadcasts.

Wonder what will happen to the current Tokyo Tower site..

I saw a documentary on that Sky City a couple of years back, probably on Discovery. It looks --- big!

I'm sure I read that the current Tokyo Tower will stay.