What do people think of alpine snowboarders (ie in hard boots)....I got taken out once by a hardbooter in NZ...but that didn`nt stop me getting into it.....any other alpine enthusiasts dragging knuckles out there?...Ride on ....!

Alpine snowboarders are clearly the coolest people on the mountain. Soft-booters look lame by comparison, with their floppy gear that is totally unsuited to turning on the groomed. And the carving skiers just can't match the tight turns of an alpine snowboard.

Taken out by hard-booter, huh? As a hard-booter I find that I'm at increased risk of collisions from people bombing the fall-line who are totally unprepared for somebody below them to be carving hard across the fall-line, or even back up the hill, with speed. People who like to shoot fast down the very edge of a run are a particular problem, as it's easy for them to get cut off, with nowhere to go.

Yo Boardbaka,

Alpine snowboarding is definitely bigger in Japan than where I come from in the US. There are a lot of Japanese Apline riders that rip it up. I have been to a few races this year in Nagano and Gifu. The scene was pretty cool. I find the local riders really friendly and super stoked.

Check out Echo Valley if you get a chance - tons of people in hard boots. I joined a shop club from Okazaki (near Nagoya) this season and ride with the members at Ciao Ontake some weekends.

Check the following Japanese Carving sites:

http://www.carvingmachine.com/

http://real-carve.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

Some of the Japanese Apline boards very nice. The most popular brands are Moss and Gray. The prices are steep but the quality is good.

Anyway.. I am always amazed how many people I see are on Apline setups. It's cool!

Miltie

Hi Miltie! Thought you'd surface here soon.

> Check out Echo Valley if you get a chance - tons of people in hard boots

Is this a new development? I rode there a lot last year, and saw some HBers there but not so many as at Royal Hill nearby.

I miss Etcho Valley...