Snow and weather reports posted on Sunday 1st April 2018
Thursday 6th December 2012, 8:58am
No new snow to report this morning but after the brisk and bright start to the day yesterday it's a different feel this morning. Cloudy at the moment as we await the first bits of that snow bonanza that is hopefully soon on it's way. It's about -1C and more of a wind, but nothing to affect lift operations.
So, that forecast? Still looking good for the weekend. Still looking like we will get copious amounts of snow, starting late Friday and into Monday. And it's still looking like it will be strong winds as well. Blizzard-like conditions basically. Of course it might not quite pan out exactly like that but one thing is for sure and that's that if it does pan out like that, we'll be sliding on lots more slopes early next week.
Naeba and Tashiro plan to open at the weekend, hopefully the weather won't stop them from doing that.
Mitsumata Family course and Taikai, Gondola line. Kagura main course, Technical course, Giant course, Panorama course and Gondola course
Official resort snow depth: Kagura - 130cm
Planned opening dates: Kagura (Tashiro) on December 8th Naeba on December 8th Read more ...
Thursday 6th December 2012, 9:03am
There's not much to report this morning.... after a lovely day for the most part yesterday, it's more cloudy this morning. We might just see a spot of rain or sleet today but nothing major. The forecast for the weekend though is promising in terms of snow with decent amounts forecast to fall on the mountains and down to town level as well. There's also a chance of strong winds with the snow.
Of course this weekend sees the planned opening dates for Naeba, Kagura (Tashiro), Iwappara and Joetsu Kokusai. While the first two are ok for an opening, town level resorts aren't ready yet and will need the weekends snowfall to be able to get themselves into a position to open.
Daily updates from the Kagura and Naeba area of Yuzawa:
The promised snow has arrived though it is only a light dusting up high at the moment. According to the forecast this is likely to be the predominant weather for the next few days with light snow showers through the weekend and into next week. There could be some strong winds around too but we will have to wait and see how that turns out.
Still just the two runs open at Tenjin but enough for a bit of an early season slide to get rid of the summer rust.
Houdaigi - Dec 15 Norn - Dec 20 Minakami Kogen - Dec 22 Okutone - Dec 21 Read more ...
Thursday 6th December 2012, 9:32am
Cloud, sleet, snow
It has been a dark and cloudy early morning here here, temperatures dropped overnight and currently it is around 0 degrees and with some rain early this morning the snow around the village (base) has partially melted away.
The good news is that above 1600m moderate snow has been falling overnight and continues this morning. Across the valley between 7-10cm fresh snowfall high up was measured this morning. Wet snow has been trying to fall in some parts of the valley but even as I write this report the snow consistency has been changing as it gets colder. It certainly looks like some nice snowfall is happening up on higher parts of the mountain right now.
The forecast is still looking incredible for a very snowy - and windy - weekend in the region. Wrap up well and don't be surprised if the wind affects lift operations. Might be worth waiting until after if you have the choice. We can definitely look forward to next week though when conditions should be pretty much transformed.
Don't disappoint us, Weather!
Goryu has been on standby early on this morning due to strong winds and Hakuba 47 are not operating Line E today (some kind of maintenance being the reason apparently). It seems like Happo and Tsugaike are open as planned.
Official snow depths Hakuba Goryu Upper - 60cm Lower - 5cm Read more ...
Thursday 6th December 2012, 9:47am
Strong winds, sleet/snow
Yesterday we had some decent snowfall in Niseko which helped to cover up the damage from that rain, and since my report in the morning a good 15cm.
It has been a rather mild morning so far - around +2C - and it will likely stay mild for the day. Earlier things were a bit calmer but in the last few hours some stronger winds have arrived and are again causing problems with lift operations at the open resorts. Hirafu has just the lower Ace Family Pair and Ace Number 1 Pair lifts operating, Niseko Village is operating the Community Chair and Banzai Chair, while Annupuri - at the time of writing - has suspended lift operations.
After today when we have the chance of more wet snow, we can expect colder temperatures and consistent snowfall into the next week or so. Those strong winds will probably always not be too far away as well...
Other resort news is that the Hirafu Gondola and the Hanazono resort area plan to open from Saturday 8th December. Nighta operations at Hirafu will also commence from 15th December, something that many people will be looking forward to.
Lifts Operating (at time of writing)
Grand Hirafu Ace Family Pair Ace Number 1 Pair
Niseko Annupuri All lifts not operating due to wind
This morning there isn't much to see in Shiga Kogen with clouds covering the mountains, snow falling and some strong winds blowing things around as well. The conditions are affecting the resorts as well with Yokoteyama closed and only one lift moving at Kumanoyu rather than the multiple lifts that they have been running.
It's not that cold actually but will probably get colder as the day progresses.
We probably won't see too much snow fall today and tomorrow will likely see clearer skies but the weather forecasts for the coming weekend remain very promising. Expect the strong winds to stick around as well, so not that much of Shiga Kogen might be able to be operating through the storm. If we get the snow 'promised' though, next week should be good!
Right now we have part of the following resorts open:
No new snow to report from yesterday though this morning it is snowing on the upper part of the mountain and just cloudy down in the village.
It was actually fairly mild overnight and the temperature is actually dropping this morning. Tomorrow we might have clearer skies but Friday night looks set to be the start of the first crazy dump of the season... that's what we are all hoping for anyway. Heavy snow still due on Saturday and Sunday, perhaps into early next week as well along with very cold temperatures on the mountain and also strong winds. Bring it on (please)!
Lifts operating Nagasaka Gondola Yamabiko Four Yamabiko No 2 Four
Courses open Yamabiko A Course Yamabiko B Course Yamabiko C Course Yamabiko D Course Yamabiko E Course Kokenashi
The most notable weather feature today is the wind which is blowing moderately at base and is having a spine chilling effect. Unfortunately the wind is interferring with the lift operations and as a result Furano Ropeway and Downhill Romance #2 are on hold. Hopefully the wind will quieten down as the morning rolls on and the ski area can get them moving again. Snow conditions are still firm, or in places icy, after the rain a couple of days ago, but light snow is forecast through the remainder of today and tomorrow. A good morning to grab a coffee and watch the wind through the window from a nice warm place.
Lift operations: Furano Ropeway 8:30-14:40 (currently on hold due to wind) Downhill Romance #2 (currently on hold due to wind)
Open courses: Sailer Course (open) Spies Course (upper half only)
Some more snow since yesterday as slowly but surely we move towards the season starting properly... so far no change in resort operations but the coming week is still looking very promising in terms of potential snowfall. It actually looks like the next 5-6 days is just going to be snow and strong winds with the worst of it (or should I say the 'best' of it?!) on Saturday through into Monday.
I feel that I'm going to need to wrap up well even inside. Can't wait to see how much eventually arrives... Read more ...