Snow and weather reports posted on Monday 25th May 2020
Friday 30th November 2012, 9:14am
With the recent snow Tenjindaira have decided to start their season tomorrow - Saturday December 1st. It won't be the whole resort, with just one run open but for a bit of early season practice Minakami is now open for winter business.
Houdaigi - Dec 15 Norn - Dec 20 Minakami Kogen - Dec 22 Okutone - ? Read more ...
Friday 30th November 2012, 9:25am
Sunny with cloud
It is a glorious morning today with the white snow sparkling in the sunshine and alomost nothing in the way of wind. Temperatures have taken a plunge since a day ago and it is starting to feel really wintery in Furano, so if you have been delaying the purchase of a decent pair of gloves now would be the time to splash out. Later today the upper mountain will move into the double digit negatives. Yesterday there was 5cm of new snow and another 4cm overnight so conditions are perfect for carving those edges down Sailer. More snow is forecast to fall today and tomorrow.
Open courses: Spies Course(upper) Sailer Course(upper) Shirakaba (Skiing is restricted to the upper mountain at the moment) Read more ...
Friday 30th November 2012, 9:59am
Good morning from Niseko. Things did get colder yesterday and while we didn't really have much new snow to boast about by the time the lifts closed, we do have some new snowfall to report this morning... around 15cm. With the temperatures there should be some nice light powder conditions out on the mountain today. There's less wind as well this morning. It is continuing to snow as I write the report and not much of the mountains can be seen.
It should be colder still tomorrow with temperatures dropping down well below zero in the village and probably minus double figures higher up.
Niseko Grand Hirafu is showing an increase of 5-10cm of snow this morning in it's official snow depth numbers and there was about 15cm of snow waiting outside my place in Hirafu this morning.
This morning Niseko Grand Hirafu has opened up the Super Course - apparently, this is the first time that they have ever been able to do that in November.
Annupuri now saying that they have 9 of their 13 courses open, still being serviced by the same lifts, and as I mentioned yesterday the King Number 3 Triple Lift and Ace Family Pair lift at Hirafu will be operating from tomorrow as well. Tomorrow also sees Niseko Village open up but I can't confirm exactly what they plan to have open just yet.
Today is the last day of the special lower early season ticket prices.
The forecast is looking good for continued cold conditions and regular snowfall.
The weather today here in Hakuba is cloudy with patches of blue sky, rising to around 6 degree Celsius.
There is a cool breeze around Hakuba and it is quite pleasant to walk around - local restaurants and bars are gradually opening up for trade as the ski resorts opened earlier than planned. It's still generally quiet though as perhaps you might expect.
The snow around village area now gone we look towards the next snowfall. It looks like we might get some rain in the village later on today but fingers crossed that will be snow showers by late in the evening. Overnight and into tomorrow is looking positive for a decent snowfall on the mountains and tomorrow should be cold and snowy.
Clearer conditions are set to return on Sunday, but hopefully by then we will have had a nice topup of snow and perhaps the resorts might be able to start opening up more terrain. We'll just have to wait and see.
OK, time for a round-up of where we stand with the resorts at the moment.
Hakuba Goryu remains open with the Gondola and the top No1 pair lift operating.
Hakuba 47 has announced that they will be re-opening the Route 8 course and Line E lift up top from tomorrow (Saturday 1st) - hopefully right through until the end of the season this time! As things stand it will remain accessed via Goryu.
Happo-one has two trails with Usagidaira and a groomed Kurobishi Trail prepared early this morning. The Adam Gondola, Usagidaira pair lift and Kurobishi No2 quad lifts are operating.
At Tsugaike this morning it is sunny and the clouds haven't moved in yet, and the upper part of the resort is open with the Eve Gondola and Hannoki pair lifts operating.
Hakuba Cortina plans to open on December 15th and Hakuba Iwatake is planning a December 20th opening.. whether they will open earlier if we get lots of snow? Don't know, no word on that, but I will let you know if there are any signs.
No new snow to report this morning and operations at Kagura are almost the same, though it is now possible to ski the Family course at Mitsumata... so no longer known as a 'connecting course'. There's more snow up at Kagura though so I suspect most people will be making their way up to the main part.
This morning started off quite bright with the sun out but clouds have been gathering gradually and now I would say it is officially.. 'cloudy'.
Courses open: Kagura main course (1500m) Giant course (1500m) Technical course (600m) Gondola course (3000m) Mitsumata Family course (1000m)
For tomorrow and Sunday, both of the quad lifts at Mitsumata and the No2 pair lift, as well as the No1 and No4 pair lifts at Kagura will also be moving, so hopefully there won't be too much of a bottleneck. You can expect things to be fairly busy though. Early start called for!
We should be looking at some fresh snowfall as well tonight into tomorrow, though just how much seems to be unclear - different forecasts giving different ideas. A nice new coating would be good for the weekend.
Official resort snow depth: Kagura - 100cm
Planned opening dates: Kagura (Tashiro) on December 8th Naeba on December 8th Read more ...
Shiga Kogen Now!
Friday 30th November 2012, 10:38am
Not much new to report at the moment I'm afraid - at the moment it is still just the one lift at Kumanoyu open.
From tomorrow though a few more lifts should be moving with the following resorts making their intentions known:
It was a clearer earlier on but clouds have been moving in the last hour or so and the forecast tells us to expect it to get colder tonight and into tomorrow and also to expect some new snowfall, followed by clearer skies on Sunday.
Good afternoon and I don't actually have much to report to you today, but I thought that I would before the weekend. The snow has gone from lower slopes again and we are back to green, so there won't be an opening on 1st December this year and we will need to wait some more.
The forecast is looking quite encouraging for a potential storm around Tuesday/Wednesday next week, so lets keep an eye on that one. I'll be back to report on that on Monday, hopefully with good news! Read more ...