Snow and weather reports posted on Friday 22nd February 2019
Wednesday 27th January 2016, 7:29am
Mostly sunny over Mt. Myoko. some dark clouds to the north
Only a few resorts have submitted reports today but I have to go run for a train, so here's the situation in Myoko (and there's very little change in snow and temperature since yesterday).
It was a really, really nice, perfectly clear, sunny day yesterday. If we can't get heavy snow, we might as well have deep blue skies and sparkling white snow. And it was good snow, too, especially on north faces. Pretty light and very sparkly, with big crystals on the surface following a clear, cold night.
Today things are mostly sunny, but with some nice dark clouds out over the ocean. Doesn't appear like we have snow on the forecast until Friday, though. The good news is that early forecasts of the freezing line heading up as high as possibly 1600 meters have now come way down, and potential heavy rain now changed to potential moderate snow. We remain hopeful, if not always optimistic.
These are the reports from yesterday; things are pretty much the same today, ---
Great weather yesterday (well, the not snowing kind of great) with clear skies and sunshine. A few people looking decidedly 'red' last night!
This morning there is more cloud around but it looks like it should be another day of generally fine weather. The sun is out again and lots of blue sky above the mountain. Hopefully like yesterday it won't warm up too much during the day.
Perhaps some snow on Friday and then intermittent snow showers over the weekend... is what the latest forecast seems to be telling us.
Should be another good day today, remember the sunscreen!
Fine clear skies yesterday and lots of sunshine. I met lots of people who had a great day on the mountain, I spent most of the day myself on the top Yamabiko area with a few helpings of Skyline added into the mix. Great.
No new snow overnight either.
This morning it's a much more cloudy start to the day but the sun is still managing to shine through. Whether it's the clouds clearing or the other way round, I am not sure but the local forecasts have us down for cloud/sun and some with a sprinkling of snow here and there later on. It is a cold start but it will warm up a bit like yesterday with a high of around 2-3C expected here at base.
There's still a chance of rain in the village at times tomorrow and Friday though if that is the case it should be snow higher up. Better still we avoid it. Still expecting snow on Friday and over the weekend though it does seem to have been slightly 'downgraded' (in terms of snow potential) since yesterday.
Just keep cold please for the moment.
Official info at time of writing on Wednesday 27th January 2016 (subject to change):
I have to make my report earlier than usual today which makes it a bit too early for some of the checks, so I was hoping for a fine clear day with all open as planned...
But unfortunately it seems that strong winds at higher elevations are causing some problems again early on this morning with upper lifts at Happo-one not opening on time and upper lifts at 47 and Goryu also affected. If you are reading this before going out for a day, it's probably best to check with the resort you are going to for the very latest updates.
There's no new snow to report this morning after the beautiful day we enjoyed yesterday. And I think lots of people enjoyed their day out on the slopes yesterday - it was a good one.
This morning it's more cloudy with clouds particularly gathering around the mountains, elsewhere there's some blue sky and sunshine.
It's not as cold this morning and temperatures are expected to get up to about +3C here in the village later on. Milder conditions might continue until the end of the week when snow should be falling and actually some of the forecasts now look quite promising for decent snow over the weekend and into early next week. (Here's to avoiding the rain that some forecasts say might happen around Friday before the snow starts falling again...)
Resort news as of 8:00am on Wednesday 27th January 2015 (where available, all subject to change due to weather conditions)
Hakuba 47: Hakuba 47 is reporting 0cm of fresh snowfall. All courses are now generally open but top areas affected by wind early on. R4 Snow Park should be back open from. Let's renewal! The lower part of the Tree Riding Zone is now open. There is no 'nighta' at Hakuba 47. Official snow depth: Upper: 185cm Base: 60cm
Hakuba Goryu: Hakuba Goryu is again reporting 0cm of fresh snowfall. All courses except Snow Diving are now officially open but top areas affected by wind early on. The Toomi area will be open until 9:30pm tonight for 'nighta'. Lift info: All lifts are operating as planned this morning (the Alps 2 and 4 lifts are weekend and holiday only). Official snow depth Alps: 210cm Toomi: 95cm Iimori: 95cm
Hakuba Happo-one: Hakuba Happo-one is reporting 0cm of fresh snowfall. Almost all course areas of Happo-one are now generally open but top areas are starting the day closed due to wind conditions - only lower lifts going to open on time (at time of writing this). The lower Nakiyama area plans to be open for 'nighta' every day until 9pm. Lift info: All planned lifts are now operating. Official snow depth: Usagidaira: 190cm Nakiyama: 70cm Sakka: 50cm
Hakuba Cortina: Hakuba Cortina is reporting 0cm of fresh snowfall. All courses are now open. The Ikenota area will be open for 'nighta' until 8pm tonight. Lift info: All lifts (apart from Number 7 pair) plan to be operating. Official snow depth: Top: 187cm Base: 120cm
Tsugaike Kogen: All course areas are now open. Not confirmed if wind is affecting lifts at the start of the day. Lift info: All planned lifts apart from lower Kane-no-naru-oka Skyliner I are operating. Not confirmed if wind is affecting lifts at the start of the day Note that the top Tsugaike Ropeway only opens from spring. Official snow depth: Tsuga-no-mori: 220cm Maruyama: 90cm Kane-no-naru-oka: 70cm
Hakuba Iwatake Snow Field: Reporting up to 0cm of fresh snowfall. Most of the Village Side is now open. The Sonezawa area and View A and B areas are still closed on the Mountain Side. There is no 'nighta' at Hakuba Iwatake. Lift info: All lifts on the Village Side are now operating and all lifts on Mountain Side except View 1 and Hikage are operating. Official snow depth: Upper: 140cm Lower: 50cm
Hakuba Norikura Onsen: All lifts apart from Number 8 lift and all courses except Snake and Expert are open. There is no 'nighta' at Hakuba Iwatake. Official snow depth: 100cm
Hakuba Sanosaka: All 5 lifts are operating though some courses not yet open. There is no 'nighta' at Hakuba Sanosaka. Official snow depth: 85cm Read more ...
Wednesday 27th January 2016, 8:36am
Cloud, some blue sky and a bit of sun
Good morning, and I have a decent amount of fresh snow to report this morning... a good 16cm of it observed by myself and the Avi report mentioning up to 30cm of fresh up there.
And the regular snowfall should continue through at least into next week.
This morning there's lots of cloud around but some blue sky as well. Perhaps snowfall arriving overnight tonight - just how it should be!
Should be a good morning.
Soon after my report went up yesterday, it seems that wind had it's own ideas and was causing problems with summit lifts. The top lifts at Niseko Grand Hirafu, Niseko Village and Niseko Annupuri were quite quickly put on hold due to wind and apparently poor visibility; to be joined by the Niseko Gondola early afternoon and then the top Niseko Hanazono lift mid afternoon.
Oh dear, so much for all being open! Sorry about that - all was looking 'normal' with the information I had available when I was preparing the report. As the Avalanche Report noted so well in the same report, 'be aware of a sudden change in the weather and bad visibility'. It can and does happen.
It is interesting to see the large messages that are popping up on the Niseko United website and in other places at the moment.
It seems that the resorts need to remind some people that season passes are not transferable and that they'll be doing more checks on them from now on - and cancelling any passes that are being used by anyone other than the original owner.
Obviously there must have been more than a few instances of people passing around season passes. They have every right to not be happy if people are doing that - it's pretty clear that the passes are not transferable. Anyway, I can't remember seeing such a prominent message like that before so it looks like they are now taking action on it.
Resort specific lift opening news at time of writing (subject to change during the day):
Niseko base 6.00am: -4°C, 20cm new snow, minor snowdrift development, stormy. Moiwa 800m: -6°C, NW10m/s, 30cm new snow, snowdrift development. Mikaeri 740m: NNW10m/s, 30cm new snow, snowdrift development. Annupuri 1150m: -8°C, W15m/s, 30cm new snow, poor visibility, snow drift development. Hirafu ridge line -8°C, blizzard conditions, 30cm new snow, snowdrift development. Coastal data: Benkei Cape:NNW12m/s. Kamui Cape W9m/s, 1016hPa, wave 1.3m.
Maritime and mountain data suggests the wind below 1000m is starting to drop, however above 1200m blizzard conditions will persist. From observation, around 800m western aspect knolls , 60cm new slabs have grown which will easily fracture from skier stimulation this morning. Peak gates opening times yet to be decided. Please listen to the patrols decisions. Do not ignore the rules and duck the ropes to go out of bounds. Most avalanches occur during and just after snowstorms. The newly developed slabs are unstable and will fracture easily. The frost layer formed from Jan 26 low pressure snowfall will become a weak layer in the future snowpack.
Snow conditions change daily, today's avalanche conditions are higher than yesterday. Cautious behavior is prudent. Is your beacon turned on? Snow in the trees is reset and in great condition.
Official resort snow depths as of Wednesday 27th January 2016:
It's a good fresh powder morning here with another 6cm at base and more on the mountain, with snow falling very nicely at the moment. It's forecast for the whole day as well so hopefully it will keep on building. There's a 8-10m/s wind blowing but it isn't affecting the winds or probably peoples enjoyment.
The snow should actually be continuing to fall through until Friday with most actually on Friday. If that happens, the coming weekend should be excellent especially if we get a bit of sunshine like the forecast tells us we might.
Sunny, blue skies, just a bit of cloud here and there
It's another fine morning in Shiga Kogen and the sun is out. There's just a few white clouds here and there. Lovely.
Yesterday was a fine and clear day with some excellent conditions to enjoy. Looks like this morning at least will be a similar story and not much else to report really.
Forecast shows some good snowfall expected starting Friday, through the weekend and into early next week which sounds good. Today and tomorrow will not be as cold as we have been experiencing but temps should be dropping back down once again for the weekend.
Official snow depths at Shiga Kogen resort areas (Wednesday 27th January 2016):
The sun was out, the skies were blue, the snow was great (well it was at Kagura where I was). An excellent day.
I heard reports from people enjoying themselves at Iwappara, NASPA, GALA and Joetsu Kokusai as well and it seemed that everyone was very pleased with the day.
This morning we have mostly clear skies over Yuzawa and the sun is out.
There is a lot of grey cloud to the north once again though, and it is actually forecast to be cloudy for the day today. Yahoo weather even has rain and snow forecast for the day (including the 'now' period). Forecasts have got it so wrong more than a few times this season it might well just end up being another fine day.
Staying with forecasts, there's less snowfall on it now (for the weekend) than there was just yesterday which is disappointing. It still looks like we might have to put up with some rain sometime before the weekend though hopefully it will be turning into snow (or better still start as snow). Temperatures may rise to about +6C in town tomorrow so it does look like it's going to be a mild few days.
Enough of that. One thing about this season is how difficult the weather has been to read... for now it should be another fine morning and I'm going to go and enjoy it!
Resort official snow depths (Wednesday 27th January 2016) and any specific news at time of writing:
All resorts in the area are either mostly or fully open.
Resorts in Yuzawa:
GALA Yuzawa 170cm The South Area is now part open and downhill Falcon course is also open
Well we've got more of the white powder falling as I type this report. It's only light snowfall though but it's exciting nonetheless. It should continue most of the day with hopefully 5cm+ arriving today.
The forecast yesterday was just another false alarm with barely 3cm falling throughout the day and evening. I'm really beginning to wonder if the 'forecasting' department even exists at the weather service here.
Today should bring cloudy skies, temperatures in the -5 range at the base with snow showers continuing most of the day. The wind has picked up slightly but will remain steady all day in the 8-10 m/s range. Obviously the top runs will see slightly higher winds and lower temperatures.
17 of 21 runs open and the Sailer Gondola and various Sailer and second runs still disappointingly closed. The open runs are in good condition and will probably see little use this week as the mountain was eerily quiet yesterday with me taking some runs as the solo figure on the hill.
So what's in store for us now? Not much unfortunately. The 'forecast' is for partly cloudy skies, temperatures dropping slightly with little, if any, snowfall till Monday! That's correct. No predicted further snowfall until February.
Have a great day out there.
Currently planned operating lifts:
- Appi Gondola - Central Number 1 quad - Number 2 lift A - Number 3 lift B - Number 3 lift C - Number 4 lift - Sailer quad - Vista quad Read more ...
Wednesday 27th January 2016, 9:19am
Yesterday turned out to be a fantastic day with the cloud breaking up early morning and allowing some blue sky and sunshine to break through. Today promises to be even better snow wise with 4cm of nice light powder having settled in the village overnight, so I would expect substantially more than that on the ski runs themselves.
As forecast, we do have some wind. It is only light at the moment in the village and the ski area expects to be able to operate all lifts. The wind will increase to moderate levels tomorrow and then start to reduce again after that. Skies are overcast today and will stay like this for the next few days. We can also expect continuous light snowfall for the next few days as well.
Another clear day and set to be warmer than yesterday.
Its +4C down in the town at 10am, clear blue skies, wonderful weather but would trade the sun for snow any day. 15cm of shrinkage on the snow pack at Tenjin following Tuesday's weather but should be less today.
Next snow is forecast for Friday night and looks like a good size dump but the forecasts have been far from accurate this year.
Some clouds hanging around the top and the clear weather is supposed to finish soon.
All snow resorts in Minakami now once again all (at least part) open: