Snow and weather reports posted on Monday 25th May 2020
Friday 26th January 2018, 6:47am
This morning there is a nice constant light snowfall coming down which has already deposited 5cm of fresh snow over the ground. This light snowfall will continue through the day constantly refreshing the slopes with a nice topping of powder. There is high cloud cover and most likely we won't get any sun breaking through. The slopes will be in great condition with the groomers out finishing things off right now. Tomorrow looks like a repeat of todays weather pattern. Read more ...
Geto Kogen Now!
Friday 26th January 2018, 7:31am
After the absurd amount of snow we received yesterday, it was a little slow on the mountain as we hadn’t given it a chance to settle and stick. Snowing fairly consistently, we saw about 15cm fall.
Today should hopefully be a different story, though with 30cm overnight of fresh snow, we might need a day or two for the snow to settle. Might be worth it to get the board or skis in for a wax this morning before heading out.
We’re in for light snow today, with the storm settling down for a day or two before it picks up again on Sunday. Tops of -9C today but the wind chill is set to bring us down to -21C, so rug up.
And for all Aussies reading... Happy Australia Day!
Gondola One Update:
According to the resort, they’re aiming for early February for the Gondola to be back up and running. Fingers crossed for the first week, but we’ll have to wait and see.
Zones open include Summit, Rabbit, Beech & Stream. At this stage Shooter will remain closed until the main gondola is open.
Official snow depths:
Top: 370cm Base: 290cm
Night skiing operations are scheduled at Geto Kogen on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays until 25th February 2018. Read more ...
Friday 26th January 2018, 7:50am
Snow, cold, wind
Good morning from Yuzawa.
Snow, snow and more snow.
It has been snowing since my report yesterday. This morning I have measured a further 60cm of snow since then. And that is a 'lower end' kind of measurement. It has been windy and it is one of those days when there will be more and less in places - actually I'm guessing more 'more' than less. The difficulty of precise numbers aside, we are seeing very large amounts of snow at the moment. It's the kind that even locals have problems dealing with; and that's saying something!
Here is what ski resorts are reporting:
- Kagura are reporting 40cm of fresh snowfall. - Maiko Snow Resort are reporting '40+cm' of fresh snowfall. - Ishiuchi Maruyama is reporting 60cm of fresh snowfall.
On days like this, we often feel that resorts try not to scare people with numbers that are too big. Yes, believe it or not, some people don't get excited by these big numbers!
Yesterday only part of Kagura got to open and Maiko was resting their gondola and top area; this was due to wind conditions.
It remains very cold this morning and there's a moderate wind blowing around still, but the Kagura and Maiko resorts appear to be opening this morning. There may well be some lift delays though as staff cope with all this snow.
The forecast doesn't show the snow letting up today or tomorrow, with some forecasts show a break in the snow on Sunday for a while but generally winter conditions continuing into next week.
There's going to be a lot of people itching to get out and play in all this snow once things calm down.
If you can't wait for that, just be warm and be safe!
Images today from GALA Yuzawa, NASPA Ski Garden and Yuzawa IC exit (Route 17).
By 3pm yesterday the resort was reporting 10-18cm of fresh snowfall across the mountain and this morning and extra 10-20cm, so that makes a total of 20-38cm since my last report. I have measured 26cm of snowfall myself.
Really great quality snow too with temperatures keeping very low through the last few days. It's really cold. And it isn't going to warm up any during the day today - or tomorrow - either if the forecasts are correct.
More cold, more snow. The mountain is getting a totally major refresh.
Yesterday the top Yamabiko A-E courses were closed from quite early on due to fog and poor visibility. Similar conditions seem to be the case this morning if the webcams are anything to go by - though no news from the resort on that so far.
If you decide to battle the conditions, be sure to check before heading out for the latest on lift operations.
Friday 26th January 2018
Fresh snowfall since yesterday (as reported by the resort):
- All scheduled lifts appear to be operating as normal - check with resort due to current weather conditions - The Yunomine pair, Mizunashi triple, Challenge pair and Utopia pair lifts usually rested on weekdays
The following courses either closed (or not fully available):
And a very good morning to you from here in Hirafu.
It's very good news this morning. There is a lovely 26cm of fresh light snowfall by my measuring point this morning; and of course probably more than that higher up. Indeed if you look below at the Avalanche Report they are reporting 40cm and more in places.
It was snowing earlier on this morning, but as I put this report together it seems to have eased off for the moment. Still, snow is forecast during the day today (and well beyond today) so it will likely start up again quickly.
With the top lifts and gates being closed for a few days, once they open up again - hopefully this morning with less wind - and with all of this fresh snowfall, things are going to be... I'm almost tempted to use one of my self-banned cheesy words here, but will refrain... things are surely going to be... really excellent.
Lots of people lining up for first lifts early this morning. Come on, give us a wave!
Official snow depths don't mean that much really, especially on a day to day basis, but I notice this morning that the upper snow depth at Niseko Grand Hirafu is up to 4m this morning.
This is totally unconfirmed, but I have heard on the grapevine that there may be one or two people from Australia here in Niseko at the moment. ;)
And to those good folk and everyone reading these reports from that lovely place... have a Happy Australia Day!
Niseko Avalanche Report:
Niseko base 5am: -10℃, 30cm snowfall, Moiwa 800m: -10.5℃, NW11.6m/s, 40cm, cornices and wind-drifts developing, bad visibility. Annupuri 1150m: -11℃, Northerly 10m/s with gusts, 50cm with large wind loads. Hirafu peak: -14℃, light breeze, 40cm snowfall. Benkei cape: NNW12m/s, Kamui cape: N13m/s, 998hPa, 3.5m waves.
Stormy condition continues under a typical winter pressure distribution, generating huge snowfall with drastic and large cornices & snowdrifts developments above 800m elevation. Cornices are very unstable and collapses easily. The snowpack is starting to stabilize as the wind is calming down, however avalanche risk in slopes under cornices and with heavy snow-load is very high. The storm is forecasted to pick up during the day and snowdrifts will continue developing.
All gates are being prepared to open, however will be time dependent. Please follow the patrol’s instructions. Do not enter cornices/snowdrifts slopes, and do not stay put at the bottom of the valleys. Most avalanche accidents happen during bad weather. Avalanches occur naturally, but would not be an issue if nobody is caught in one. Adjust your plans according to the weather condition and never over-estimate your knowledge and skills. The snow in the trees is deep and in excellent conditions.
We start seeing people ignoring the Rules and going into strictly off-limits areas. The community will not tolerate people that disregard the Rules with their own selfish excuses. Have a nice pow day.
Friday 26th January 2018
Resort specific information (operations subject to change):
Lifts scheduled to be operating: - All lifts apart from King Number 2 should be operating - 'Early Morning' services from 8:00am until 8:20am (Ace Number 2 Center Four quad lift). Until 28th January. 500 yen special ticket required.
Lifts scheduled to be operating: - All lifts apart from the Country Road Chair lift should be operating - 'Early Gondola' service from 7:30am until 8:30am (Niseko Gondola). January 27th-28th; February 3rd-4th. 1,400 yen special ticket required.
Official snow depth: - Top: 300cm - Base: 180cm
Floodlit 'nighta' skiing:
Night skiing is planned for every evening at the Niseko Grand Hirafu, Niseko Village and Niseko Annupuri areas. There is no nighta at the Niseko HANAZONO area. Ski lifts that are scheduled to be operating for nighta are noted below (subject to change):
* Niseko Grand Hirafu - Ace Family quad, Ace Number 2 quad, Hirafu Gondola, Holiday Number 1 pair * Niseko Annupuri - Jumbo Number 1 quad lift * Niseko Village - Village Express, Upper Village Gondola, Community Chair, Banzai Chair Read more ...
Friday 26th January 2018, 8:34am
The snow storm continues.
Resort reporting 20cm of snowfall; I am measuring 24cm. Really great quality snow too. Temperatures are keeping very low - it is very cold out there.
It looks like the 3A lift is struggling with the conditions and not opening this morning. Other lifts may well be delayed. I would check directly with the resort if you are one of the brave ones.
So the conditions out there are still not very friendly and quite a few people will probably decided to sit it out. But the refresh we are in the process of receiving will most definitely be worth it.
Sunday might be when things calm down. It should be an excellent weekend - but be prepared if you are coming.
Official snow depth: 230cm
Number 1 lift Number 2 quad lift Super quad lift Number 11 lift Number 12 lift Number 13 lift Number 15 lift
Powder Wave I Powder Wave II River Line Powder Theater Adventure Aisle Crystal Bowl Ninja Sawa Rabbit Kamoshika Bear
Planned nighta operations this season:
11th February 2018 Every Saturday between until 24th March 2018 Read more ...
Friday 26th January 2018, 8:39am
Good morning from Hakuba.
Snow and wind and very cold conditions yesterday.
Excellent quality snow at the moment, but kind of difficult to measure with it being so light and the strong winds.
But anyway, we need to post numbers so here goes! What the resorts are reporting:
Hakuba Cortina: base 15cm; upper 15-20cm Hakuba 47: 10cm on upper slopes Hakuba Goryu: 5-10cm Hakuba Happo-one: 5cm
There seems to be less disruption this morning with Goryu/47 open as planned and more of Cortina open. Top lifts are wind affected at Happo-one and there seems to be some lifts closed over at Tsugaike Kogen too. Again, best to check with the resorts before heading out.
We might see things ease up further tomorrow and perhaps even a bit of sunshine breaking through. It will still be very cold but temperatures might rise a little from the really very cold we have had over the last few days.
That would make for excellent conditions for the weekend. Lots of quality fresh snow to enjoy. Couldn't ask for more than that. I hope some of you can be here to enjoy it.
Oh yes, and a very happy Australia Day for everyone celebrating today. Have fun!
In news from Hakuba Happo-one, the Kita-one Kogen Snow Rafting Park should be opening on Thursday 1st February and the Happo Banks part is scheduled to open from Saturday 3rd February.
Ski resort information on Friday 26th January 2018 (at time of writing):
Night time skiing (nighta) at resorts in the region - weather & conditions permitting The below 'nighta' information will not be updated every day - please check with resorts if you plan to go!
Hakuba Happo-one Daily from 5pm until 9pm in the Nakiyama 2 area Adults - 2,000 yen; children - 1,200 yen
Hakuba Goryu Daily from 6pm until 9:30pm in the Toomi area until 31st March The Sky Four quad operates daily; the Number 2 pair mostly on Saturdays and holidays Adults - 1,900 yen; children - 850 yen
Hakuba Cortina Daily from 5pm until 8pm (until 9pm on Saturdays) Adults - 1,500 yen; children - 1,000 yen
Tsugaike Kogen Kane-no-naru-oka area from 6pm until 8:50pm on 3rd, 10th, 11th February Karamatsu Shirakaba area from 6pm until 9pm on 27th January; 10th, 11th, 17th February; 3rd, 10th March Adults - 2,200 yen; children - 1,700 yen
There are no other nighta operations at other ski resorts in the region Read more ...
Shiga Kogen Now!
Friday 26th January 2018, 8:54am
Morning from Shiga Kogen.
We had a break in the snowfall yesterday for a while but it's back in style this morning. It remains extremely cold here with a wind making it feel even colder; so we're still in the middle of this storm.
Not a huge amount of snow - but the snow we are getting is top draw quality.
We should see things ease off by tomorrow (though by how much still unclear), but that means that the upcoming weekend should be really great.
Come prepared for cold and deep conditions.
Official snow depths numbers reported by different areas of Shiga Kogen:
Please note that these numbers are the official numbers that ski resorts publish and we check and update them each morning.
More snow than expected overnight; it was cold and quiet late last evening, and blowing and snowy early this morning, with 40 cm in a quiet spot and lots of blowing elsewhere.
And it is snowing hard out there.
Sad news from Lotte Arai, where a pair of skiers went off course - not intentionally, it seems - and did not make it out. Gotta be careful with the cold and the deep (but this was a very unfortunate and unusual case).
In the Uwanodai area: Daily until Sunday 4th March 2018 Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only from Friday 9th March until Sunday 18th March 2018
In the Yokokura area: Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only until Sunday 18th February 2018 Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only from Friday 2nd March until Sunday 11th March 2018
Night time 'light up' sightseeing ropeway is planned for the following dates:
January 2018: 27th-31st February 2018: every day March 2018: 1st-4th Read more ...
Friday 26th January 2018, 9:39am
Snow is the story here and lots of wind. Tenjin was shut yesterday and likely the same today.
Hodaigi had their top lifts shut yesterday due to wind also. Okutone was awesome.
Deep, dry snow and the steeps to handle it.
Today is more of the same, less wind over night but still brutal gusts which are the spanner in my works. Read more ...
Friday 26th January 2018, 10:50am
Good morning from a snowy Naeba! With another 17cm of fresh snow falling in the past 24 hours, we are having a good time here with 'Storm Finn". The now continues to fall, after pausing for a few hours yesterday evening. The air temperature is chilly, particularly compared to what we have experienced earlier in January. There is also a moderate wind today, bringing the wind chill temperature down below -10°C at base. It's definitely a day to wrap up warm! The pistes are covered in fresh, fluffy snow and there are plenty of powder stashes to hunt out in bounds.
Looking forwards, we should expect the cold air temperatures to continue until Sunday, when things will likely warm up a little but remain below 0°C. As for snowfall, we should expect it to snow moderately for the remainder of today, and lighten up somewhat tomorrow. After a clearer day on Sunday, the snow will be back, albeit a lot lighter, early into next week. The wind should be dropping off tomorrow also, giving way to those clearer, calmer conditions predicted for Sunday. Read more ...