Snow and weather reports posted on Friday 8th November 2019
Saturday 24th March 2012, 7:22am
Woken up by some strong wind this morning and unfortunately now that I'm up I can confirm that it is raining outside at the moment - quite heavy rain actually. The good news is that it seems to be snowing higher up - Kagura and Tashiro are reporting snow while it's raining at the car parks, at the Mitsumata area and also here in Naeba. We're hoping that as the day moves on it will be snow there too sooner than later. If and when the rain changes to snow around town - who knows? Let's crossing those fingers.
A high of around 4 degrees is forecast for the day. We should be seeing it snowing later on today and also tomorrow as well. Temperatures should be dropping again tonight, tomorrow and into Monday so there is potential. I'll let you know how it goes in the report tomorrow tomorrow.
For now though it's a bit of a wet start at resorts around town, with snow falling at higher altitudes so the better conditions as you get higher.
Well, we couldn't keep that luck through all of yesterday. After a windy and wet overnight, it is still wet here this morning with light rain falling early as I write this. I am hearing though that up top at Kagura and at Tashiro, it is snowing. No doubt rather wet snow, but snowing all the same and that's better than raining isn't it?! Apparently it's raining at the base of Tashiro and in the Mitsumata area, so you can get an idea of where it's changing into snow at the moment.
The forecast has us down for the rainier type stuff turning into snow, so hopefully fairly soon it will be snowing at base as well.
Visibility fair lower down at Naeba here - I can see the lower slopes - but poor higher up.
Forecast? Encouraging actually with snow due today, tonight, into tomorrow and into Monday as well. It should be getting clearly colder as well starting tonight. Let's snowing please!
Resort Operations, 24th March (subject to change) Naeba: Should be open as normal. Splash Bowl and Mens Slalom now closed. Kagura: Open as normal. Official snow depths Naeba: 280cm Kagura: 380cm
It is a foggy and (probably) cloudy morning. Can't see much at all out there at the moment so visibility is really poor. But for the moment nothing is falling from the skies. It's a fairly mild feeling +2 degrees and hopefully the fog will lift as the morning moves on. We do have snow forecast still for today and actually tomorrow as well and it should be getting colder as the weekend progresses, and into Monday.
Last nighta of the season tonight and we'll soon be entering the last week of the season at Madarao.
Lifts currently operating: All lifts and runs due to be open today Official snow depth: 250cm Read more ...
Saturday 24th March 2012, 8:26am
Quite strong winds blowing this morning in Zao and it's a fairly mild start to the day. We have a bit of snow to report actually - just a sprinkling overnight really, perhaps up to 1cm in places. It is not snowing now though, and is generally just cloudy.
Strong winds are likely to continue today and may be enough to affect lift operations once the resort opens... at the time of writing unclear, so you'll need to check with the resort if you are here. Light snow showers likely over today and tomorrow, though probably nothing significant in terms of snowfall. Tomorrow and Monday though will probably be a bit colder than today.
This weekend is the last two days of the season when children can ski for just 1000 yen. So we can probably expect it to be fairly busy out there with families.
Official snow depths (24th March 12) Utopia - 260cm Chuo - 220cm Paradise - 240cm Uwanodai - 165cm
Operating lifts (24th March 12) All Ropeways (Skycable, Zao Chuo Ropeway, Zao Ropeway) operating. Most lifts operating. All the runs at Zao scheduled to be open. Read more ...
Shiga Kogen Now!
Saturday 24th March 2012, 8:35am
The snow yesterday didn't end up giving us much in terms of cm but we did get a sprinkling out there. Some stronger winds were with us later on in the day and overnight and this morning it is snowing again in areas of Shiga Kogen. Right here in Maruike now not so much at all, but it's really coming down in Kumanoyu and Okushiga right at this moment. Visibility out there pretty bad as well at the moment.
We're looking good for snowfall today though - the kind that brings us cm to report - and into tomorrow as well. So tomorrow should potentially be a good choice. Temperatures are due to drop right down as well during the daytime today, though there's also going to be a chance of winds playing with lifts. We'll just have to see. If we can get some decent snowfall tonight, I'm looking forward to a fine day tomorrow.
Nighta operations this evening planned at the following resort area:
- Ichinose Family - Ichinose Diamond - Kumanoyu
Official resort snow depths as of Saturday 24th March 2012 AM:
Strong winds from last night are continuing today and likely to disrupt lift operations in some places. Bit of rain this morning down in the valley but falling as light snow at the top of the resorts. Grey clouds overhead but reasonably warm at the moment. Soft spring snow on most slopes but a pretty good day out there apart from the wind.
The light snow is set to continue for the rest of the weekend and into next week with fine days on Tuesday and Thursday being the only breaks in the pattern. Read more ...
Nozawa Onsen Now!
Saturday 24th March 2012, 12:17pm
Overcast with occasional sun
Not a lot is happening on the weather front at this stage here at the moment with mostly cloudy skies and some patches of blue poking through today.
Up top is looking fairly foggy and some snow is still expected to roll in later today getting heaviest tonight. Bit of a hive of activity today with the Spring Festival going on up at Yamabiko. The resort has buried some treasure in the 350cm base up there and up to the guests to find it. Unfortunately you can't take your snow diggers up there, but you could do with having them!
Yesterday was a mixed bag with some rain below but big flakes were falling from the sky up top at one stage and created a bit of fresh to enjoy. Visibility was not the best with a shifting fog bank up and down the resort. But all in all a better day than was expected.
Snow is still forecast for the next few days and the freezing level is dropping down to as low as sea level just briefly. Then sunshine expected Tuesday, may be a good day to wheel out the BBQ. Have a great weekend and enjoy the festivities and snow.
Current Official Snow Depths Numbers:
Current Lift operations: Whole resort is operational
March is almost at an end, and Furano is still teetering on the break between winter and spring. Two weeks ago the pavement was starting to peek through all those snow-packed roads, but then before the driveways could clear completely, we got blasted with half a meter of snow earlier this week. Things have started to thaw a bit since then, but the flakes are flying again today, and the temperature won't even break the freezing mark. All this on the day before the last scheduled day of operations for the Kitanomine Zone.
It's been flurrying since early morning, but we haven't seen much in the way of significant accumulations down in the village. Out on the mountain, things are a bit different. Should be an excellent day of skiing and boarding, and you should really take advantage of all this late season snow we've been seeing.
Expect afternoon highs to top out around -2. The winds are really whipping around out there, as we are caught in the backside of a low pressure system working its way across Japan. Tomorrow should bring more of the same late-winter weather with below-freezing temperatures and snow forecast for the latter half of the day.
The Spies Course in Furano Zone will be closed on March 25 for ski competions.
March 25 is the final day of the season for the Kitanomine Zone. The proposed closing date for Furano Zone is May 6. Read more ...
Saturday 24th March 2012, 14:03pm
Cloudy and snowing lightly
Hello from Niseko! We are getting some snow but unfortunately it is not too far from rain. It's a bit warmer here than it has been the past few days. At the present moment it is cloudy with a bit of wind. We are expecting some more snow and possible colder temperatures so keep an eye out for more powder to hit Niseko. At this point we aren't sure how much, but it looks like it has the potential to be nice light snow.
Yesterday we saw clouds with a bit of sun in the afternoon. It was foggy in the morning and visibility became better in the afternoon.
The backcountry is probably not worth going out today. It is a mixture of freezing rain and wind with heavy snow. I would recommend saving it for a nicer day! I hope everyone finds something to do on the "down" day today. Enjoy!
Grand Hirafu / Hanazono: Top - 415cm Bottom - 195cm
Niseko Village: Top - 450cm Bottom - 200cm
Annupuri: Top - 480cm Bottom - 200cm
Niseko Avalanche Report:
Niseko base 6am: -2C, no snowfall. Coastal data: SE3m/s at Benkei cape, 0.5m waves and 1002hPa at Kamui cape. Annupuri peak: SE5.8m/s, -10.5C. Annupuri 1000m: 480cm snowdepth. Snowfall transition: A low-pressure system is moving up along the pacific side and moderate snowfall is forecasted to start in late morning. A cold airmass (-12C at 1500m) is present in higher altitude and a moderate snowfall will persist above 1100m altitude. A high-pressure area between two low-pressure systems is overlaying Hokkaido resulting in calm wind weather under 800m. Hazard evaluation: The general avalanche risk is low, however the cornices have grown huge and are likely to collapse with a slight stimulation, and could trigger a slide as they fall. Cracks are likely to open up as the season shifts to spring and are not visible from above. Be careful not to fall into them. Looking at this seasonâ€™s snowfall transition, climax (ground) avalanches are likely to occur from 1100m altitude as soon as cracks starts to form. Caution is required in coordinate E6 Backbowl area, F5 Osawa area, G8-H8 Higashione area and E7 West face Goshiki area. It is strongly unrecommended to ski or rest in valley bottoms and always keep space between skiers when traversing avalanche terrains. Gates: Peak gates are scheduled to open at 9:30am, however is subject to lift operation. Opening time may be delayed due to weather conditions. Please respect the ski patrolâ€™s instructions. Outside the gates is not the ski resort anymore. Ducking ropes is strictly prohibited in Niseko. Have a safe day. Read more ...
Saturday 24th March 2012, 15:16pm
Cloud, rain > snow
Greetings from Hakuba. It has been a grey morning with light rain to start the day - pretty warm temperature around 4 to 5 in the valley this morning. The good news though is that it is turning into snow this afternoon along with temperatures dropping to 1 to 3C in the valley, and -2 to -5C on mountains. Freezing Level is around 500m and will be on it's way down to around 250m by Monday night.
Wind is a bit breezy from NW to W. Because of the strong gusty wind from two days ago, some of the wind meters were destroyed in Hakuba, so we are having a bit hard time to get detailed wind report.
Avalanche danger is high today. Because of the recent rainfall, there are many cracks and instability on layers. Touring backcountry areas is not recommended.
Once the snowfall gets into it's groove today, it seems like it will keep snowing until Monday night or maybe through into Tuesday, so early next week sounds like it should be a fine time to hit the slopes.
Stay safe out there and have fun!
Official snow depths and operations @ Saturday 24th March 2012 AM:
Hakuba Goryu: No new snowfall at Goryu this morning. All lifts and runs scheduled to be open today. Official snow depths: Alps daira - 250cm; Toomi - 130cm; Iimori - 110cm
Hakuba 47: 2cm of new snowfall reported by 47 this morning. All courses open, all lifts except Line D operating. Official snow depth: Upper - 224cm Lower - 140cm
Happo-one: Ski lifts/courses: All lifts apart from Happo No1 and Central pair operating. Official snow depth: Usagidaira - 200cm; Sakka - 70cm; Nakiyama - 70cm.