Snow and weather reports posted on Sunday 1st April 2018
Friday 20th April 2018, 7:31am
Clear light blue skies early on
Good morning from Yuzawa.
After a fine day yesterday with nice and warm conditions, we are expecting more fine and warm weather today. It's bright and sunny with blue skies but a hazy feel in some directions. And tomorrow, which should be warmer still.
So rather settled weather at the moment and it should be a nice weekend - last weekend of the season for the GALA Yuzawa resort.
No specific news from Naeba yet, so we should presume that they will be opening up again for the weekend as planned.
Updated: Friday 20th April 2018, 7:30am
Planned resort operations - subject to change
GALA Yuzawa - GALA will be at least part open until Sunday 22nd April - Official snow depth: 70cm - Central Area: The Gondola, Coach and Barouche lifts operating; all courses apart from Melody open - North Area: The Victoria lift is operating; Broadway and part of Swan (part) courses remain open - The South Area and Falcon course back to base are now closed for the season - Take the Gondola back down to base
Kagura - Tashiro Ropeway plans to be at least part open until Sunday 6th May - Mitsumata Ropeway and the main Kagura area plan to be at least part open until Sunday 27th May - Official snow depth: Kagura area - 240cm; Mitsumata area - 140cm; Tashiro area - 190cm - The Gezan downhill course to Mitsumata base is closed - take the Ropeway back to base - The Gondola East Course at Tashiro is also closed - All other courses remain open
Naeba - Naeba is closed today - It currently plans to re-open for weekends... - ...and from 28th April until 6th May Read more ...
Geto Kogen Now!
Friday 20th April 2018, 7:31am
Good morning from Geto.
It's more of the same!
Fine spring weather and warm conditions continue... and are set to continue as well at least over the weekend. (There's some rain due early week).
People are now visiting to take the Gondola for sightseeing now and especially over the upcoming Golden Week.
Official snow depths:
Top: 295cm Base: 160cm
Number 1 Gondola and Number 1 pair lift are operating
It's a bright morning and kind of clear, but not pin sharp deep blue skies. A bit of a hazy feel. The forecast is for sunny weather with more of the same tomorrow along with temperatures rising into low to mid 20's.
It's going to be a warm weekend.
Tomorrow and Sunday will see a few more lifts revving up and courses open.
In addition to the lifts that are moving today, the resort plans to have the following lifts also operating:
- Nagasaka Gondola - Yamabiko Four - Yamabiko Number 2 Four - (More may be open for the coming weekend)
Planned open courses today:
- Yamabiko - Kokenashi - Bunabayashi (to mid station) - Get the Gondola back down to base
General resort operations information until Sunday 6th May:
The Gondola will be open from 8:10am daily; The Number 1 car park will be free daily; There will be no village shuttle bus between until 27th April; Nozawa Onsen plans to remain open until Sunday 6th May. Read more ...
Friday 20th April 2018, 7:52am
After a spell of colder conditions, yesterday saw a change with things warming up and a real feel of spring with clear and sunny skies and warmer temperatures.
There's quite a bit of cloud around this morning, but sun is what the forecasts say - for tomorrow as well. It will be warm today, but warmer still tomorrow with some forecasts showing a high of around 25C being possible! That sounds more like summer than spring to me!
Just over two weeks left of lift operations. Let's make the most of it while we can.
Planned ski resort operations on Friday 20th April 2018:
We are checking the below information every morning, but please note that resort operations are beyond our control and subject to change.
- Gondola - Alpen quad - Usagidaira pair (* open only on weekends/holidays) - Panorama pair - Grat quad - Kurobishi Number 3 pair - Kurobishi Number 2 quad - Skyline Number 2 pair - Kokusai Number 3 pair (* open only on weekends/holidays)
- Gondola - Alps Number 1 pair - Alps Number 3 pair - Alps Number 2/4 pair (* open only from 28th April until 6th May)
- The top area (except Champion Expert) remains open - You can still ride back down to Gondola base on the Toomi course - getting VERY narrow! - The Toomi lift is now closed - The Iimori lifts and area are now closed
- Gondola - Pair Line A-B - Quad Line C - Pair Line E
- Most course areas remain open - Lower part of R-7 closed, only part of upper area R-7 open - The resort recommends that beginners take the Gondola back down to base - The Tree Riding Zones are now closed for the season
- Gondola - Han-no-ki high speed pair - Tsugaike Ropeway
- Only the top Tsuga-no-mori and Han-kou courses remain open - You can no longer ride back down to base areas - all base areas now closed - Take the Gondola back down to base - The Tsugaike Ropeway plans to be open daily until 6th May - The Ropeway is open only for hiking and climbing; a special form must be submitted
- Ace Number 2 Center Four (* operating daily until 6th May) - King Number 3 (* operating daily until 6th May) - King Number 4 (* operating daily until 6th May) - Hirafu Gondola (* operating only on 21st, 22nd April & 28th April - 6th May)
- Most of Hirafu remains open - Lower part of Super closed - All of the Hanazono area is closed
A spell of nice and warm spring weather at the moment and it appears to be continuing through the weekend... getting warmer still. Even over here in Naeba it might be warming up to temperatures in the low 20s over the weekend. So nice weather.
As for resort operations, there is no update from the resort regarding the re-opening planned for tomorrow and Sunday. So we can for now presume that it will be going ahead as planned. See the image below for what is planned to be open.
Our Yuzawa Now reports are being updated every day, so please check that report early tomorrow morning for any further updates. We will also try to update this report if there is any major change to planned operations.
Not related to winter sports, but the Dragondola at Naeba will be operating between Saturday 28th April and Sunday 27th May for some spring sightseeing.
Planned operating dates through until the end of the season:
SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Saturday 21st April Sunday 22nd April Closed weekdays Saturday 28th April Sunday 29th April Monday 30th April Tuesday 1st May Wednesday 2nd May Thursday 3rd May Friday 4th May Saturday 5th May Sunday 6th May << planned last day of the season!
Planned operating lifts on the days when Naeba will be open:
SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Prince Number 2 Gondola Takenokodaira romance lift Daishamen romance lift
It is a nice warm spring day with the temperature hovering around 13c. The village is now devoid of snow and the first green shoots of growth are starting to come through along with the first flowers of the season.
For those still wanting more skiing the good news is the Furano Zone still has plenty of snow and great skiing that is going to keep going through until the first week of May. The top of the mountain is quite a bit colder than the base, so that is the place to head as the snow will take longer to soften up. Read more ...