Snow and weather reports posted on Wednesday 20th November 2019
Monday 18th March 2013, 2:47am
Overall not a great day here in Furano.
We started off with overcast skies and the rain that was promosed did arrive and is still here. The forecast is for rain through until tomorrow morning.
From Tuesday evening temperatures at base will again fall below zero and then there is some snow forecast to continue through until Saturday. Read more ...
Monday 18th March 2013, 8:01am
I have to post an early report today..... it is a very windy morning here in Madarao and while it's still early the resort is on hold and not going to open any lifts until things calm down.
When that will be, we don't know but windy conditions seem likely for the day.
Update mid morning: 11, 12, 14 lifts moving
Lifts planned to be operating: DEPENDING ON WIND CONDITIONS. Number 1 Number 2 Number 3 Super quad Number 5 Number 11 Number 12 Number 15 Kids Park --- FreeRide Park Powder Wave I Powder Wave II Usagi Riverline Powder Theater Adventure Read more ...
Monday 18th March 2013, 8:26am
Strong southerly winds this morning mean that all areas of Kagura are closed this morning.
Here in Naeba, the Number 2 Gondola (the one usually open weekdays) is not going to be moving early on and the top slopes not open. So it's limited to the lower half of Naeba this morning.
5C here now with a high of 15C forecast for later in the day.
Hopefully things will have calmed down for tomorrow.
Official resort snow depth: Naeba - 280cm Kagura - 390cm Read more ...
Monday 18th March 2013, 8:34am
Good morning from a cloudy and rather windy Yuzawa.
So much so that some resorts are going to be closed today due to the wind conditions -- all of Kagura is closed and GALA Yuzawa also. The upper parts of Naeba are closed early on and Yuzawa Kogen may also be affected. Looks like the Gondola at Maiko Snow Resort is also resting this morning, but the quad up to the bowl seems to be open.
It's already close to 10C here in town and likely to warm up to around 16 degrees today. Winter is seeming further and further away, and unfortunately there doesn't seem much chance of a late March blast of winter - not for the moment on the weekly forecast anyway. Late March snow has been known to happen though.... (he says hoping).
We do still have a lot of snow around, there's no bare patches and many resorts are reporting 2+m still.
Anyway, possibly rain later today but hopefully by tomorrow morning conditions will have calmed down.
Official resort snow depths @ Monday 18th March 2013, AM:
Yesterday I said how today is expected to be warmer still. And it definitely is. 5C on the thermometer outside right now and for the moment it's just cloudy. Rain is definitely on the cards though in lower areas at least.
Wind this morning affecting the top Wonderland lift at Niseko Village with the Niseko Gondola also running at reduced speed. The top Hanazono lift is also running at a reduced speed but other than that we seem to be mostly open as planned this morning. If stronger winds whip up this afternoon though we can perhaps expect that situation to change.
Hopefully we might get to see more snow falling on Wednesday.
Official Resort Snow Depths
Grand Hirafu & Niseko Hanazono Top - 500cm Bottom - 240cm
Niseko Annupuri Top - 400cm Bottom - 250cm
Niseko Village Top - 460cm Bottom - 230cm
Niseko base 6am: 0C, no new snow, cloudy. Moiwa 800m: not available. Annupuri peak: -4.1C, expected wind speed at noon: SW10m/s. Coastal data: wind SSE6m/s, 1.5m waves, pressure 1004hPa.
Low pressure over Japan Sea, under 1000m wind is weak, no snow drift development. Temperatures will increase as the low pressure approaches, wet snow and wind are expected above 800m this afternoon. General avalanche risk is low. All peak gates are expected to open at 9.30am. Listen to the ski patrols warnings before going through the gates. From analysis of the snowfall, the danger of full depth avalanches on steep slopes and under cornices is rising and expected to start earlier than usual this year. Riding cornice slopes and valley bottoms is extremely dangerous. Everyone needs to use sound judgement and make careful route selection to avoid these danger zones.
Gate 9 will be closed from today due to danger of flooding. Don't duck ropes. Be careful of a sudden change in weather. Read more ...
Monday 18th March 2013, 9:26am
Yesterday was a warm day as expected with temps rising to above 15 degrees at village level and even double figures up on the Usagidaira area of Happo-one at 1400m. Nice clear skies all day though, getting a bit hazy particularly later on in the day.
Temperatures dipped to around +3 overnight and as of 9am we are at about 10 degrees this morning. A high of around 13C is forecast.
This morning it is cloudy and there's a fairly blustery wind as well. Some lifts around the valley being affected this morning (Goryu, 47, Cortina) and I think if winds do get stronger as forecast we can expect more of that.
Light rain in places as well, and as mentioned in the report yesterday we are to expect rain today. Hopefully that will clear sooner than later.
(Hopefully) looking for a dip in temps around Wednesday to Thursday, though whether it will be enough to bring us snowfall is another matter.
Official snow depths and operations @ Monday 18th March 2013 AM:
Hakuba Goryu: 0cm of new snowfall reported by Hakuba Goryu Official snow depths: Alps daira - 255cm; Toomi - 105cm; Iimori - 80cm
Hakuba 47: 0cm of new snowfall reported by Hakuba 47 since yesterday. Official snow depth: Upper - 185cm Lower - 95cm
An overcast morning in Zao but there's good visibility. It's a warm start to the day and around 9 degrees now. There's a moderate to strong wind, but lifts on the resort seem to be moving as normal.
Rain is on the forecast but it's not raining yet. Fingers crossed we might avoid it.
Resort plans from now
The following lifts will run through until 24th March:
Onsen Number 3 Parallel A and B Onsen Zao Kokutai Pair Ryuzan Pair Karamatsu Pair Paradise Number 3 Pair Kurihime Number 2 Quad (only on Friday, Saturday, 20th March)
The following lifts will run through until 31st March:
Onsen Number 4 Quad Sunrise Pair AB Nakamori Number 1 Triple Nakamori Number 2 Pair Diamond Number 1 Pair Diamond Number 2 Pair Oomori quad Yokokura Number 2 Pair Astraea Number 1 Pair Astraea Number 2 Pair Astraea Number 3 Pair
The following lifts plan to be open through until 6th May:
All the Ropeways Chuo Number 1 Pair AB (every day) Chuo Number 2 Pair AB (every day until 14th April, then 20th/21st April and 27th April until 6th May) Katakai Triple (every day until 14th April, then 20th/21st April, 27th-29th April, 3rd-6th May) Paradise Pair AB (every day until 14th April, then 20th/21st April and 27th April until 6th May)
The Yokokura Number 1 Pair AB will remain open as long as there's enough snow.
The wind is way up, the rain is occasionally sprinkling down, but no heavy rains just yet on a Monday in Myoko.
You can almost see the snowpack decreasing in the breeze, though; there's still a good amount of snow up on the hill, but the roadside walls are just falling away rapidly. It is WARM, too - all the morning reports are in the just-under-plus-ten degrees area (except Akakura Onsen, which didn't file today, and Seki, which has listed a cryptic "00" for the temperature....)
Looks like rain will continue through tomorrow, when one again the freezing line will be coming way don the mountain, bringing some snow with it. It's definitely been a blustery March this year (unfortunately without the powder we've seen over the last few seasons).
The high wind makes lift closures possible, so check before you go, especially the gondolas at Suginohara and Akakan.
The temperatures have dropped slightly today with overcast skies but it's still around 8C at the valley level expecting a high of 12C later in the day. There may be some rain late this evening with a sunny day forecast for tomorrow.
The next 10 days looks like more spring weather with warm temperatures, sun and rain on the forecast. This will be hitting the lower ski resorts (Norn, Oana, Okutone) and may cause early closures for all resorts. Read more ...
Nozawa Onsen Now!
Monday 18th March 2013, 10:59am
It's a very windy one in Nozawa this morning. The strong winds mean that we have limited operations on the mountain this morning with mainly lower lifts and runs only open.
Temperatures are extremely warm, up to around +14 today as predicted, but crowds are very light.
Today's snow will be slushy from the outset, slow in places. The pick today will be the groomers and park which will be fun and forgiving considering the snow conditions. Off piste runs will be best avoided today unless you are up for a real challenge turning.
Likewise yesterday was also extremely warm but the sunny conditions made for some very nice spring skiing. Up top in the Yamabiko area offered the best turns as did the terrain park and various mogul runs. Yesterday was pretty uncrowded considering it was a Sunday.
Looking at the forecast ahead we should see some improved snow conditions by Thursday when a cold front and light snow looks possible. Until then though it's mostly very warm conditions with rain or overcast skies is likely.
Lifts operating: Only lower lifts operating due to wind
Courses open: Limited, subject to change depending on conditions