Snow and weather reports posted on Friday 4th May 2018
Wednesday 18th April 2018, 7:09am
Good morning from Yuzawa.
The last I was outside yesterday (at 8pm) there were some light spots of rain starting to fall.
I heard rain early morning but just went outside now and it was just a few spots again. The forecast is for a chance of the rain clouds lingering over the area this morning but it should not stay too long with just cloud forecast for most of the day and a high of around 14C in town.
Hopefully tomorrow will be nice and sunny with it warming up to close on 20C.
Yuzawa Now reports will continue to be posted daily until 6th May
Updated: Wednesday 18th April 2018, 7:50am
Planned resort operations - subject to change
GALA Yuzawa - GALA will be at least part open until Sunday 22nd April - Official snow depth: 100cm - Central Area: The Gondola, Coach and Barouche lifts operating; all courses apart from Melody open - North Area: The Victoria lift is operating; Broadway and part of Swan (part) courses remain open - The South Area and Falcon course back to base are now closed for the season - Take the Gondola back down to base
Kagura - Tashiro Ropeway plans to be at least part open until Sunday 6th May - Mitsumata Ropeway and the main Kagura area plan to be at least part open until Sunday 27th May - Official snow depth: Kagura area - 240cm; Mitsumata area - 140cm; Tashiro area - 190cm - The Gezan downhill course to Mitsumata base is closed - take the Ropeway back to base - The Gondola East Course at Tashiro is also closed - All other courses remain open
Naeba - Naeba is closed today - It currently plans to re-open for weekends... - ...and from 28th April until 6th May Read more ...
Geto Kogen Now!
Wednesday 18th April 2018, 7:41am
Fine weather yesterday, it was a nice day.
And it's another fine morning, just a bit of cloud in the sky and no wind. Hopefully more of that during the day today, and we might avoid the rain on some forecasts.
It's noticeably warmer too and it seems we can expect temperatures to gradually rise over the coming week. As you might expect in the second part of April!
Official snow depths:
Top: 310cm Base: 185cm
Number 1 Gondola and Number 1 pair lift are operating
- Nagasaka Gondola - Yamabiko Four - Yamabiko Number 2 Four - (More may be open for the coming weekend)
Planned open courses today:
- Yamabiko - Kokenashi - Bunabayashi (to mid station) - Get the Gondola back down to base
General resort operations information until Sunday 6th May:
The Gondola will be open from 8:10am daily; The Number 1 car park will be free daily; There will be no village shuttle bus between until 27th April; Nozawa Onsen plans to remain open until Sunday 6th May. Read more ...
Wednesday 18th April 2018, 8:04am
Blue skies, bit of thin cloud in places
Good morning from Niseko.
It's a lovely morning.
Mostly blue skies and sunshine with just a bit of thin high cloud in places.
It is going to warm up as well today with a high of around 15C forecast later on.
And a good chance of similar conditions tomorrow too.
I just have to laugh/sigh sometimes...
Someone sent an abrupt and somewhat rude email in to SnowJapan 'complaining' about how my reports are now sometimes 'too early'. In contrast to them being 'too late' as they apparently are during the main season when I usually post regularly around 8:30am.
Dear oh dear.
I'm not even going to bother trying to explain. Tell you what, we'll just do what we do to the best of our abilities. If you don't like it, just don't read it.
Who are these people?! May I suggest finding some more positive things to do with your time.
As always, a thank you to the people who do take a few minutes to send us considered comments and words of encouragement. They are always welcome and appreciated.
Wednesday 18th April 2018
Resort specific information (operations subject to change):
- Ace Number 2 Center Four (* operating daily until 6th May) - King Number 3 (* operating daily until 6th May) - King Number 4 (* operating daily until 6th May) - Hirafu Gondola (* operating only on 21st, 22nd April & 28th April - 6th May)
- Most of Hirafu remains open - Lower part of Super closed - All of the Hanazono area is closed
There was lots of cloud around for the day yesterday. Not too cold, not too warm, hardly any wind.
Unfortunately, it is raining this morning but it should not be lasting too long with the forecast showing a chance of some sunshine later in the day.
Tomorrow looks like a good chance of that sun from early on in the day along with temperatures rising to around 20C. Should be a good day. And actually from tomorrow we are due a run of fine and sunny days along with gradually warming conditions. Temps in the low 20's over the weekend?
Planned ski resort operations on Wednesday 18th April 2018:
We are checking the below information every morning, but please note that resort operations are beyond our control and subject to change.
- Gondola - Alpen quad - Usagidaira pair (* open only on weekends/holidays) - Panorama pair - Grat quad - Kurobishi Number 3 pair - Kurobishi Number 2 quad - Skyline Number 2 pair - Kokusai Number 3 pair (* open only on weekends/holidays)
- Gondola - Alps Number 1 pair - Alps Number 3 pair - Alps Number 2/4 pair (* open only from 28th April until 6th May)
- The top area (except Champion Expert) remains open - You can still ride back down to Gondola base on the Toomi course - getting VERY narrow! - The Toomi lift is now closed - The Iimori lifts and area are now closed
- Gondola - Pair Line A-B - Quad Line C - Pair Line E
- Almost all course areas remain open (resort itself reports '90% open') - Restrictions on the lower part of R-7, with a bit of walking required - The resort recommends that beginners take the Gondola back down to base - The Tree Riding Zones are now closed for the season
- Gondola - Han-no-ki high speed pair - Tsugaike Ropeway
- Only the top Tsuga-no-mori and Han-kou courses remain open - You can no longer ride back down to base areas - all base areas now closed - Take the Gondola back down to base - The Tsugaike Ropeway plans to be open daily until 6th May - The Ropeway is open only for hiking and climbing; a special form must be submitted