Snow and weather reports posted on Saturday 5th May 2018
Saturday 14th April 2018, 7:25am
Cloudy but bright
Good morning from Yuzawa.
Today GALA Yuzawa and the Tashiro area of Kagura will be closed due to forecast strong winds.
So today the choice is Kandatsu Kogen, Kagura (via the Mitsumata Ropeway) and Naeba.
Naeba of course is today re-opening for the weekend and they plan to have three lifts operating with the upper Takenokodaira and Daishamen courses open - you can't ride back down to base now.
OK, on to the weather. It's quite bright but generally cloudy at the start of the day. We might get some clearer skies and sunshine, but rain is due from this evening and possibly through the day tomorrow.
High temps of around 15C due later today.
Hope you have a good Saturday.
* Kandatsu Kogen, GALA Yuzawa and Kagura plan to be open daily (weather permitting) * But wind is preventing GALA Yuzawa and the Tashiro area of Kagura from opening today (Saturday) * Naeba is open for the weekend (and plans to be open weekends and Golden Week) * Yuzawa Now reports will continue to be posted daily until 6th May
Updated: Saturday 14th April 2018, 7:25am
Planned resort operations - subject to change
GALA Yuzawa - ***** CLOSED TODAY DUE TO WINDS ***** - Generally at least part open until Sunday 22nd April (* changed from the initial plan of 6th May) - Official snow depth: 120cm - Central Area: The Gondola, Coach, Barouche, Phaeton lifts operating; all courses remain open - North Area: The Victoria lift operating; Broadway, Swan (part), Super Swan and Super Broadway courses remain open - The South Area and Falcon course back to base are now closed for the season
Kandatsu Kogen - At least part open until Sunday 22nd April - Official snow depth: 70cm - Kandatsu Kogen remains part open - The Tozawa pair and Onaka and Ikenodaira quad lifts remain operating
Naeba - Naeba is re-opening today and tomorrow - The resort then plans to be open weekends and daily from 28th April until 6th May - Official snow depth: 100cm (upper area) - The Prince Number 2 Gondola, Takenokodaira and Daishamen romance lifts are scheduled to be operating - Need to take the Gondola back down to base
Kagura - ***** TASHIRO AREA CLOSED TODAY. MITSUMATA ROPEWAY OPEN - Tashiro Ropeway plans to be at least part open until Sunday 6th May - Mitsumata Ropeway and the main Kagura area plan to be at least part open until Sunday 27th May - Official snow depth: Kagura area - 250cm; Mitsumata area - 150cm; Tashiro area - 200cm - All areas of Kagura remain generally open and almost all course areas still available - The downhill course back to Mitsumata Ropeway is closed - The Dragondola connecting Tashiro with Naeba is now closed for the season Read more ...
Nozawa Onsen Now!
Saturday 14th April 2018, 7:38am
Cloud, blue sky, sun
Good morning from Nozawa.
What's that?! 1cm of snow being reported by the resort on the top Yamabiko courses this morning? It seems so.
Right now there is quite a bit of cloud above the region but also blue sky and the sun is currently shining through my window here.
Rain is due tonight and through tomorrow, possibly heavy at times (most likely overnight).
So today is probably the pick for the weekend.
Saturday 14th April 2018
Fresh snowfall since yesterday as reported by the resort:
- Nagasaka Gondola - Yamabiko Four - Yamabiko Number 2 Four - Skyline pair - Uenotaira Four - Paradise Four
The following courses should be open today:
- Yamabiko - Kokenashi - Uenotaira - Paradise - Bunabayashi (to mid station) - Rinkan (to Isemiya) - Get back to base via the Rinkan course or using the Gondola - Shuttle bus available from the bottom of Rinkan to Nagasaka car park
General resort operations information until Sunday 6th May:
The Gondola will be open from 8:10am daily; The Number 1 car park will be free daily; There will be no village shuttle bus between until 27th April; Nozawa Onsen plans to remain open until Sunday 6th May. Read more ...
Saturday 14th April 2018, 7:54am
Cloud, blue sky
Hello and good morning from Hakuba.
Ah, sakura. The trees are starting to come to life. And lovely they will be too. Get your blue sheet and beer/sake and snacks ready for some 'hanami' fun.
Lovely day yesterday. Bit of a wind making it perhaps feel colder than it actually was. Still, temperatures didn't rise too much at all.
This morning there is quite a lot of cloud around but blue sky too. It's bright and the sun has been shining through in places. Not mid winter like of course but it is keeping fairly cold. Today temps are forecast to rise to around 15C in the village later on.
Rain seems inevitable from sometime this afternoon and at least part of tomorrow, with heavy rain forecast overnight.
The four ski resorts that remain open all plan to remain at least part open until Sunday 6th May.
Planned ski resort operations on Saturday 14th April 2018:
We are checking the below information every morning, but please note that resort operations are beyond our control (obviously!) and are totally subject to change!
- Grat quad - Alpen quad - Riesen quad - Usagidaira pair (* open only on weekends/holidays) - Nakiyama Number 3 triple - Gondola - Panorama pair - Kokusai Number 3 pair (* open only on weekends/holidays) - Kurobishi Number 2 quad - Kurobishi Number 3 pair
- Gondola - Alps Number 1 pair - Alps Number 3 pair - Alps Number 2/4 pair (* open only from 28th April until 6th May)
- The top area (except Champion Expert) remains open - You can still ride back down to Gondola base on the Toomi course - getting rather narrow! - The Toomi lift is now closed - The Iimori lifts and area is now closed
- Gondola - Han-no-ki high speed pair - Tsuga Number 1 & 2 pair - Tsugaike Ropeway
- Top Tsuga-no-mori, Han-kou, Han-no-ki areas and Karamatsu remain open - You can still ride back down to Gondola base via Karamatsu - The Tsugaike Ropeway plans to be open daily until 6th May - The Ropeway is open only for hiking and climbing; a special form must be submitted
- Ace Family quad (* operating daily until 15th April) - Ace Number 2 Center Four (* operating daily until 6th May) - King Number 3 (* operating daily until 6th May) - King Number 4 (* operating daily until 6th May) - Hirafu Gondola (* operating only on 14th, 15th, 21st, 22nd April & 28th April - 6th May)
- Most of Hirafu remains open - Lower part of Super closed - All of the Hanazono area is closed
A quick review of conditions for the weekend of April 14 and 15.
There’s still snow out there, but recent rain, and especially wind, has really brought the pack down. Lifts are open today, but that wind might cause problems; it’s really howling, so there’s the chance of gondolas, especially, closing down. Check with your ski area before you go! Today is the day for wind, but also possibly rain, which may continue into Sunday.
Akakura Kanko: 140cm, 5°; Myokokogen Sky Cable Gondola, Hotel No. 3 lift; closing May 6
Lotte Arai Resort: 292cm, 6°; all lifts running; Mamushigaeshi, Exciter, Legendary and Discovery courses closed; Ohkenashi Bowl, FK, North Bowl, Funaishi-zawa, Happy Place and Benzaku-zawa open in the avalanche-controlled areas open; closing May 6