Snow and weather reports posted on Saturday 5th May 2018
Thursday 12th April 2018, 7:22am
Light blue sky, thin cloud
Good morning from Yuzawa.
The day ended rather wet yesterday and with the wind it wasn't a particularly nice one.
Today looks set to be much more friendly. It has started with a mix of light blue clouds and thin high cloud. It is still a little windy down here in town and perhaps stronger winds can be expected later on, but for the moment resorts appear to be opening as planned.
Snow has been quickly disappearing from now-closed ski runs near town - check out the NASPA Ski Garden webcam image below... they have their tennis course set up already!
Still, there is very good snow cover at the resorts that remain open especially as you get higher up.
* Kandatsu Kogen, GALA Yuzawa and Kagura remain open every day. * Naeba is currently closed but will re-open on weekends and over Golden Week. * Further details below. * Yuzawa Now reports will continue to be posted daily until 6th May.
Updated: Thursday 12th April 2018, 8:00am
Planned resort operations, subject to change
At least part open daily until Sunday 22nd April:
Kandatsu Kogen - Official snow depth: 80cm - Kandatsu Kogen remains part open - The Tozawa pair and Onaka and Ikenodaira quad lifts remain operating
At least part open daily until Sunday 6th May:
GALA Yuzawa - Official snow depth: 140cm - Central Area: The Gondola, Coach, Barouche, Phaeton lifts operating; all courses remain open - North Area: The Victoria lift operating; Broadway, Swan (part), Super Swan and Super Broadway courses remain open - The South Area and Falcon course back to base are now closed for the season
Kagura - Official snow depth: Kagura area - 250cm; Mitsumata area - 150cm; Tashiro area - 200cm - All areas of Kagura remain generally open and almost all course areas still available - The downhill course back to Mitsumata Ropeway is closed - Tashiro Ropeway plans to be at least part open until Sunday 6th May, but is closed today due to wind - Mitsumata Ropeway and the main Kagura area plan to be at least part open until Sunday 27th May - The Dragondola connecting Tashiro with Naeba is now closed for the season
Naeba - Naeba is currently closed on weekdays until 27th April - It plans to re-open on Saturdays and Sundays - The resort plans then plans to be (part open) daily from 28th April until 6th May Read more ...
Geto Kogen Now!
Thursday 12th April 2018, 7:32am
Mostly clear blue skies
Good morning from Geto.
As yesterday, today is expected to be fine and settled weather in the region. And that's about it. A fine day to be out on the mountain.
Looking forward to the weekend, the forecast currently shows rain on Saturday and possibly heavy too. Keep that in mind and one eye on the forecast if you are planning on being here.
Official snow depths:
Top: 330cm Base: 190cm
Number 1 Gondola and Number 1 pair lift are operating Read more ...
Nozawa Onsen Now!
Thursday 12th April 2018, 7:40am
Good morning from Nozawa.
After staying closed for the day yesterday, and a not very nice day (windy and wet), it looks like Nozawa Onsen will be back open today.
There is still some wind around but not as much as yesterday and things should be back to normal.
For the most part it should be a fine and sunny day in the region with temperatures rising to around mid-teens.
Colder conditions are forecast for tomorrow.
Thursday 12th April 2018
Fresh snowfall since yesterday as reported by the resort:
- Nagasaka Gondola - Yamabiko Four - Yamabiko Number 2 Four
The following courses should be open today:
- Yamabiko - Kokenashi - Uenotaira - Paradise - Bunabayashi (to mid station) - Rinkan (to Isemiya) - Get back to base via the Rinkan course or using the Gondola - Shuttle bus available from the bottom of Rinkan to Nagasaka car park
General resort operations information until Sunday 6th May:
The Gondola will be open from 8:10am daily; The Number 1 car park will be free daily; There will be no village shuttle bus between 2nd April and 27th April; Nozawa Onsen plans to remain open until Sunday 6th May. Read more ...
Thursday 12th April 2018, 8:01am
Cloudy, clearer skies forecast
Hello and good morning from Hakuba.
Some interesting weather yesterday with strong winds and even a thunderstorm. Some nasty rain too, starting up around midday. It won't have done the snow any favours, but perhaps we need to be thankful for that surprise snow we enjoyed before yesterday.
This morning thankfully the rain has gone and it is generally cloudy skies with clearer conditions forecast for the day. And it should be warming to around 16C at base this afternoon.
Currently the forecast for tomorrow is sunny skies with lower temperatures.
The four ski resorts that remain open all plan to remain at least part open until Sunday 6th May.
Planned ski resort operations on Thursday 12th April 2018:
We are checking the below information every morning, but please note that resort operations are beyond our control (obviously!) and are totally subject to change!
- Grat quad - Alpen quad - Riesen quad - Usagidaira pair (* open only on weekends/holidays) - Nakiyama Number 3 triple - Gondola - Panorama pair - Kokusai Number 3 pair (* open only on weekends/holidays) - Kurobishi Number 2 quad - Kurobishi Number 3 pair
- Gondola - Han-no-ki high speed pair - Tsuga Number 1 & 2 pair - Tsugaike Ropeway
- Top Tsuga-no-mori, Han-kou, Han-no-ki areas and Karamatsu remain open - You can still ride back down to Gondola base via Karamatsu - The Tsugaike Ropeway plans to be open daily until 6th May - The Ropeway is open only for hiking and climbing; a special form must be submitted
- Ace Family quad (* operating daily until 15th April) - Ace Number 2 Center Four (* operating daily until 6th May) - King Number 3 (* operating daily until 6th May) - King Number 4 (* operating daily until 6th May) - Hirafu Gondola CLOSED TODAY (* operating only on 14th, 15th, 21st, 22nd April & 28th April - 6th May)
- Most of Hirafu remains open - Lower part of Super closed - All of the Hanazono area is closed