Snow and weather reports posted on Monday 25th May 2020
Sunday 10th March 2013, 8:51am
It's a heck of a start to the day here in Hakuba.
How do you like the sound of thunder storms, lightning, rain and wind? And warm too. (What month are we in again?!)
At the moment because of the danger of the nearby storm, Hakuba Goryu, Hakuba 47, Happo-one and Hakuba Iwatake are all closed. Tsugaike Kogen has it's lower lifts moving and only a small part of Cortina is open. That's the situation as far as we can tell at the moment. Some lifts did actually start for the day but have stopped now - so hopefully this might change if the storm eases off and we can get going again.
Not sure how much fun it would be if they did open up though with the rain and warmth. Earlier on temps rose to above 15C in the village but it has since cooled down a bit and we're on around 10C now but a warm wind blowing. These warm conditions just continue.
Will we get another cold snap? We're expect temps to drop considerably today and drop below zero overnight and for tomorrow to be much colder. Only temporary though as Tuesday should see things warm up again somewhat.
Don't quite know what to make of it all! It's one of those days best spent taking an onsen, if you ask me. Then again, if the slopes do all re-open, it will be relatively quiet for a Sunday I would guess!
Worst of storm passed and lifts gradually starting up....
Official snow depths and operations @ Sunday 10th March 2013 AM:
Hakuba Goryu: 0cm of new snowfall reported by Hakuba Goryu since yesterday. Official snow depths: Alps daira - 285cm; Toomi - 140cm; Iimori - 110cm
Hakuba 47: 0cm of new snowfall reported by Hakuba 47 since yesterday. Official snow depth: Upper - 220cm Lower - 120cm
I'm writing this report in Nagano, after driving here from Madarao about 2 hours ago. So here's how things were when I left:
It's a whopping +10C this morning as spring really take a hold on proceedings now. Don't think I need to mention that there's no new snow!
What there is is clear skies above Madarao and a strong wind. Lots of cloud nearby, but at the moment here it's clear and the sun is out. Strong winds are not strong enough to affect the lifts on the mountain, so all open as normal.
So yes, spring conditions. Some forecasts had us down for rain/snow today (?!) but that's not happening now. Perhaps things are going to change...
It does actually seem that temps are going to drop quickly later on today and into tomorrow.
Lifts planned to be operating: Number 1 Number 2 Number 3 Super quad Number 5 Number 11 Number 12 Number 15 Kids Park --- FreeRide Park Powder Wave I Powder Wave II Usagi Riverline Powder Theater Adventure Read more ...
Sunday 10th March 2013, 9:27am
The warm spell isn't letting up - just yet.
It's +9C in Naeba this morning (eek), but it's going to very hopefully drop quickly as the day moves on. Strong winds and colder temps are going to be taking over soon. In fact, down in Yuzawa town there's already quite a noisy wind going on.
This upcoming colder spell doesn't seem to be destined to last long though with another warm up due Tuesday. Not a whole lot of snow on the horizon I'm afraid.
Anyway, make the most of what we got. That should be our motto. And there's lots of snow left out there. I still believe in more 'snow events' to come. It's just hard when you get a run of warm like we have had this last week.
Official resort snow depth: Naeba - 310cm Kagura - 390cm Read more ...
Sunday 10th March 2013, 9:34am
5-10cm of new snow this morning to report since yesterday here from my vantage point in the Hirafu village area.
Snow and wind is what's happening this morning. It's not as cold as yesterday, but stronger winds and top lifts at each of the resorts (as well as the Niseko Gondola at Niseko Village) are closed this morning.
Looking forward to more snow today and overnight into tomorrow.
I have been reading some of the reports from other areas of Japan. Happily, spring hasn't taken a hold on Niseko as it seems to have other places. Long may it continue.
Update at 1pm:
Currently only the lower lifts at Niseko Grand Hirafu (Ace Family, Ace No1, King No1, Holiday No1) and Niseko Village (Banzai Chair, Community Chair, Morino Chair) are operating. The Niseko Annupuri and Hanazono areas are completely closed. Niseko Village reporting wind speeds of up to 29m/s!
Official Resort Snow Depths
Grand Hirafu & Niseko Hanazono Top - 485cm Bottom - 240cm
Niseko Annupuri Top - 400cm Bottom - 250cm
Niseko Village Top - 455cm Bottom - 235cm
Niseko base 6am: -6C, 5cm of new snow this morning with low pressure front. Moiwa 800m: 10cm of new snow, no snowdrift development, -6C. Annupuri peak: -9.8C,snow depth at 1000m: 400cm, wind predicted to be WNW25m/s at 1500m. Coastal data: wind SE13m/s, 0.5m waves, pressure 993hPa.
Crystaline snowfall with the passing of low pressure system. Under lift lines and steep slopes will easily avalanche. Even though slabs are small, they are heavy and dangerous. As westerly wind picks up this morning, avalanche risk will become HIGH due to rapid growth of snowdrifts. All peak gates will be closed for the safety of all users. Be careful of lightening strikes on ridge lines. Do not duck ropes to leave the resort area.
Most accidents occur during bad weather. Be aware, the avalanche risk is HIGH on all the local mountains, careful planning and route selection is needed. Just because a slope was safe yesterday doesn't mean it is safe today. Spring conditions are not here yet. Read more ...
Sunday 10th March 2013, 9:40am
Back to very un-winter like this morning as the thermomenter was at 7C even a few hours ago. Even high up on the resort this morning it is as warm as 7C and at base now we are seeing temps of 11C. Easily the warmest morning of the year.
It's a cloudy start to the day with most of the mountain hidden by clouds, though visibility on the runs isn't too limited by the looks of things.
A moderate to strong spring warm wind as well.
As today moves on it should quickly cool down and we'll be back in negative numbers overnight and tomorrow much colder, but it's a short cold snap as from Tuesday it will be warming up once again.
Things were calmer earlier on, but in the last hour or so some very noisy winds have whipped up and it's blowing a bit of a gale outside here in Minamiuonuma. I was in Yuzawa just earlier and it wasn't as windy but the forecast is for the warmth of the early morning to make way for wind and much colder conditions during the day.
I would expect that these winds might affect lift operations at some resorts, though at the moment we can't confirm any disruptions now other than Ishiuchi Maruyama saying on their website that the top lifts have been stopped temporarily.
Anyway, yesterday was warm but perhaps not as much as we expected. We have probably already had the highest temperature of the day today as it will quickly get colder and later on we may even be cold enough to see some snow falling. That would be nice. From Tuesday though a return to warm seems very probable.
Update: it has started raining
Official resort snow depths @ Sunday 10th March 2013, AM:
It was a great morning for the annual Nozawa Onsen top to bottom race this morning. Nozawan Swiss import Gabriel Sutter took out the covered number one spot in fast but slushy conditions. Congratulations Gab. He is the first ever foreigner to take first place in the events history. First place is no easy task with professional racers and olympians making the journey from all over Japan to take part.
As soon as the race finished wild weather moved over and at the moment we have strong winds, low visibility and light rain showers. Luckily the snow is not quite sticky just yet so the riding will be spring like at least for the time being. It is likely that some of the top lifts will be on wind hold this morning. The forecast is for cold air to arrive this afternoon with moderate snow showers expected.
Yesterday saw icy and very fast conditions in the morning before the warm sun heated the snowpack into fast and fun slush. The spot to be was the Yamabiko area, with the natural half pipe under the hooded chair in especially good form. Light winds and blue skies prevailed throughout the day and the atmosphere on the mountain was outstanding.
Looking at the forecast ahead we expect light to moderate snow showers and cool temperatures to continue overnight. Following that, tomorrow afternoon and tuesday will be clear or partly cloudy before more snow, which is expected on Wednesday night. It is possible that this system will produce decent snowfall. Lets hope it comes off.
Lifts operating: All lifts scheduled to be operating
Courses open: All courses open except Grand Prix Kandahar East Kandahar West Challenge 39
The sun is out and we have blue sky at the moment but for afternoon we can expect rain even at higher areas. Later at night forecast does tell us to expect snow as temperatures are forecast to suddenly drop right down.
From tonight will get colder than it has been but probably warm up again by Tuesday. Read more ...
Sunday 10th March 2013, 11:17am
A little late logging in today, but I'm glad I did; things started warm, with even a little sun, before rain started falling, the wind shifted to the north, things got cold, and now we've got light snow falling. Just as your trusty Snow Japan forecast predicted, the freezing line has come way down the mountain way fast. This probably means some not-great conditions on the snow--especially out in the backcountry (think some nasty crust, unless it was actually snowing up higher. Not likely, though).
Take the temperatures below as something for the record; things are a lot colder now!
Just a quick lunchtime update: the wind has really come up in the last 30 minutes or so; lift closures are likely so check if you're planning to ski this afternoon (and dress more warmly than the early temperatures would indicate!)
Winter is back in full force today as a huge low pressure system sweeps its way across central Hokkaido. The heaviest snows are forecast to fall this morning, with snow showers continuing on throughout the day and into the evening before tapering off during the overnight hours. We've already seen about 15cm+ of fresh, and this storm should easily put us over the 200cm mark.
Winds are still gusty but have quieted down somewhat when compared to last night. Temperatures are holding steady at -7C degrees, but we should see those rise over the afternoon with highs around -3C. If you like powder and lots of it, today is the day for you. Read more ...