Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
I want to see a resort with a good Indian restaurant near the slopes - now that would be good.
Well, there's one in Hakuba. It's called Hindy Momo (silent "h") and it's 50 yards up the road towards Echoland from the crossroads with the 7-11 on the Olympic Road. The chef is from India, I believe, though the "Momo" comes from little Nepalese dumplings that resemble shuumai. They've got a tandoor and do a great nan. Of the curries, the chicken one, what Brits would call a tikka masala, is probably the best. The vegetarian one has "real" vegetables in it and thankfully not the frozen diced mush you get at some Japanese Indians.

My fave Japanese Indian is Gaylords there in Sannomiya. I used to work in Umeda, Osaka and often went to the one in the Maru building which is commendable for its spicy lamb kebabs and the best kulfi (Indian ice cream) I've ever tasted. For a less expensive treat, the little Sri Lankan place in Kitashinchi is also worth a look. The guys in there are really nice and once lent me the video of Sri Lanka winning the Cricket World Cup. If you order chai there, the guys toss it from one pot to another numerous times. Its delicious, and great entertainment for 300 yen.

Indian food in Japan is expensive, but thankfully the good restaurants are pretty good.

You can see Indy Momo's menu here...

http://www.hakubanet.com/magazine/treasure_box/restaurant/momo1/menu.html

Surely it`s that 1800yen one up in Tenjindaira, ain`t it? Seriously, the one they serve up at Sapporo International(Kokusai)has got to be the tastiest, with 2 huge jaga-imo and all. \:\) Can`t wait to have it again..won`t be long.

• 2 months later...

Found it! At the bottom far skier's right base area of Happo-one (by the half pipe) there is a little Thai restaurant. They have great authentic Thai Curry for only 700Y a plate. Portions aren't huge but the Green Curry I had was delicious! Best deal I have seen at at resort.

i have yet to try decent food on the slopes in japan. mind you my knowledge and trips to the slopes have been very limited.

indian food is great. if you are ever in singapore try bukhara in clarke quay. for 20 bucks its all you can eat, and its some of the best "authentic" food outside of india. The indians at school even like it, and they are always complaining about how bland indian food is outside of india.

the indian chai pouring technique nofakie described is also common in the malay/indian equivalent "teh tarek" its great. i use to drink the stuff religiously when the malay guy down the road sold it.