Japan - out of the terrorist spotlight?

G'Day all,

It occured to me the other day that since the September 11 events, Japan has managed to stay out of the spotlight in terms of possible attacks by Bin Ladan, Al Qaeda and other terrorist networks.

Here in Australia we have had several threats against us. Most of which appear to be in Sydney, some in Canberra. The latest is that there WILL be an attack in the next two month's.

The media over here has not mentioned any threats to Japan. Is this so? I remember the the 1995 nerve gas attack. But since September 11 has there been any threats to Japan or the Japanese people?

Japan seems to be a pretty safe place to live in at the moment.

Any thoughts on it all?

Cheers

Drew

Japan is wide open to attack, and emergency services are probably not prepared at all. Japan's intelligence services are also not prepared for the current threats. Although there was ample warning of the Aum attacks, nothing was done to prevent them.

But as Japan has such a non-committal diplomatic position, it isn't a very interesting target. Also as cal points out, it isn't a particularly friendly environment for terrorists to operate in.

However, I don't think anywhere is really 'safe' anymore. Probably the safest places are the areas that have just recently been hit...

mmm..

i think japan seems to be a little safer than america for instance....

IS JAPAN BACKING AMERICA??????

as drew said we have had the "you WILL have a terrorist attack with in the next 2mths..." the reasonings behind that alert is because osama sent a tape saying that "you will pay for backing the united states in afganistan (cantspell) "

so we are "under" attack because priminister little johnny howard is playing hero and saying yes georgie boy bushy i'll do what you say cause im just a puppet like you!

.... i like japans odds!

didn't here anything about that ender.

I found out this morning that there was another threat yesterday and the nation was on "high alert". There was a "credible threats" by the al Qaeda and its subsideries. I'm so sick of this crap, oh what a worl we live in!! :rolleyes:

What an amazing topic...

Funny, the other forum I follow...

The "Camel Jockey's Forum" in the Middle East is having the exact same discussion about themselves... "Geez, Akbar, when do you think the infidels will strike next"

Think about it................. \:\( \:\( \:\(

Quote:
Originally posted by s_f_g / sam:

so we are "under" attack because priminister little johnny howard is playing hero
Dont blame the government, it is so easy and trite to say "good one little johnny howard". blame the people who build bombs and hijack planes in order to kill as many people as they can that dont follow the 'right religion' or who dont agree with mass murder.

I blame john howard for the very unfair superannuation laws in Australia. I blame him for the trade agreement he makes, but I dont blame him for causing fanatics to kill and destroy in the name of god.

Japan Times, 20/11:

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved a six-month extension of Japan's logistic support for antiterror operations led by the United States.

In line with the support, which involves several nations, the government will dispatch an amphibious vessel to transport Thai forces to Qatar. Equipment such as bulldozers will also be moved from Thailand, according to Chief Cabinet Secretary Yasuo Fukuda.

This is to be a single operation carried out between Dec. 31 and March 31.

The term of support provided by Japan, having already been extended once in May, ended Tuesday. Under the latest extension, the support will now run through May 19.

Initial efforts, including the deployment of Maritime Self-Defense Force ships in the Indian Ocean, have been in place since last November, after the U.S. launched its bombing campaign in Afghanistan.

Shigeru Ishiba, director general of the Defense Agency, said, "Many (terrorists allegedly involved in the Sept. 11 attacks) still remain in Afghanistan, and they attempt to cross borders."

He added that Japan must maintain its support as long as terrorists pose a threat to Japan and the international community.

Ishiba stressed, however, that the activities of the Self-Defense Forces remain within the scope of the special antiterrorism law and that the SDF will not support an anticipated military campaign by U.S.-led forces against Iraq.

I'm guess i'm like you deebee in that i don't blame little johnny for the world's problems with terrorists. That said, i do wonder however why the Australian Government seeks so desperately to get a seat at the Captain's table when it comes to international efforts aimed at combating terorism. By world standards our defence force is tiny, our borders are wide open, we have unstable neighbours to the north and our major allies are half the world away.

While i applaud the government for their strong stance against terrorism i'm not convinced that we are equipped to play a front line role. The art of diplomacy seems to be either dead or forgotten in Canberra these days. Of course it doesn't help that we have a twit of a foregin minister running round the world desperately trying to put his foot in his mouth as often as he can.

Well the safe part about Japan is that its relatively tough to get in, and seems to me that its a bit tougher going unnoticed here given all the registration and tracking they do. On the other hand the local authorities dont seem like they could catch a cold if they tried. There is a story in the Asahi Shimbun they solve less than 20pct of crimes here, lowest among major nations. If you ask me given the large number of US military, well, I wouldnt go to any of the big clubs in Roppongi (i.e. Gaspanic, not that I would go to that dump anyway). If they wanted to hit foreigners in Japan thats where they would do it I think.

Yes our defence force is pathetic at best. Especially when compared to the size of our country and the coastline. It is even more frustrating that a lot of our defence is OS at the moment, when there have been so many threats on us, even in the last day or two more have surfaced. Its getting serious and we need all the resources we can get.

singapore which was once considered pretty safe is getting bomb threats at a few of the expat visited places. (if you know singapore boat quay, and mohammed sultan rd)

its pretty bad because i go to an international school which is considered a target.

the american school here has numerous armed gurkas (dont know how to spell it, but the nepalese soldiers)

everythign is pretty tense here (singapore) at the moment.

There are armed patrols in Suwa. There's a bloke going around wearing a black snowboard mask, armed with a WWII vintage German bayonet and a Black Widow slingshot. He keeps asking young women if they've seen any 'A'-rabs in town. He looks a bit like me which is disturbing.

Interesting topic this one,I have been thinking wether japan was under any threats. I heard yesterday that Japan has also put OZ on list of unsafe travelling destinations..Like how out of hand is this crap getting..I agree to a point that it is the terrorists fault,but anyone who is in Oz and see's Johnny coward in action can see he is out of his mind.We have one of the most pathetic defense forces around,we cant even monitor our coastlines,our airforce jets are over 20 years old and can barely stay in the air..You just have to walk around any capital city to see how easy it would be for a terrorist to do some real damage,probably the same for the rest of the world..But when you have some nut crawling up Bushes orifice and saying yeah Bushy we'll back ya, you really have to look at the big picture and be a bit worried. SAS troops are coming home for a rest for chrissy,yep just a quick trip home before they pack their bags for Iraq...I had friends killed in Bali and I only blame the extremists, but Howard is like a kid poking a stick at a snake...it's gunna BITE! sorry to rave on..just sick of this nutcase of a world we live in..just want to be up in the mountains with that eerie but peacefull sound of nothing and watching ya mates do big rooster powder turns without a care in the world..

Stuck in this hole working until jan..Boy I miss the east coast

Howard is pushing the envelope. we don't have the resources to handle the punch up that he wants to be part of. However, as you say mongoose, our defense forces are crappy (I used to be part of them). They need some serious budget to get up to speed, and that budget won't come unless Australia once again gets in over it's head. Sad but true.