Something that you cant get used to??!!

The snack thing, Im used to munching on an apple or muesli bar if Im hungry, something to fill me up when I want it. But here were I work (city office)its the big DAME, you SHARE here, even if it means putting in a kitty and buying shitty chocolate and rice crackers that dont make a dent in your hunger. Maybe eikaiwa and more gaijin friendly places are different. It really pisses me off as it means I eat a big lunch and get sooo sleeeeepy in the afternoons.

Liked the rice cooker joke(?)

The thing that riles me the most is the way a lot of the English teaching materials used in Japan seem to have been made with some prescriptive agenda and not the students' needs in mind.

Anyone who has seen a JHS or SHS text will have seen passages about Mother Theresa, MLK, the ozone hole, indiginous cultures etc. etc. that sail way over the heads of the students in terms of vocabulary and sentence structure. While these are perfectly acceptable topics for discussion or study in themselves, why are they thrust upon beginners in a foreign language class? Social sciences are one thing, learning a language is another.

I haven't taught English for several years, but I'm still interested in the topic since my wife is a learner. She's been doing those Japanese Eiken tests, but even the level 2 (intermediate) study books have articles about UN peacekeeping and Bhutros-Ghali's definition of "the acceptable deployment of a UN presence". When you see things like that, it's hardly surprising that Japanese people have problems building up any confidence in English.

OK, here's one to p!ss everybody off - the rear entry permit!

You have a passport. You have a valid visa, for which you paid good money. Can you then travel freely in and out of Japan? No. For travel on business or pleasure, you have to take some time off work, trek half way across the prefecture and pay a BRIBE, a MUTHAF*ING FINE ON BEING FOREIGN, to be able to leave this GODDAMN MORASS!!

If it was NIGERIA or BHUTAN you might understand it, but this is supposed to be one of the G7 democracies with an economy that isn't built on fleecing people. Let the kiddies study the intricacies of the UN for all I care, just let me get back to my home (in Japan) without having to damn well pay for the privilege.

thats why my kid will use 2 passports Japanese to leave here and re enter and auzzie on to do the same elsewhere until they turn 21 and get an aussie one... but the way Jonnie howard is going an aussie passport might be as bad as an american one soon...

Eating slurping noises.

No matter how hard I try, I just can't help it.

I hate it.

Nothing worse than 'hearing' a babe eating noodles, oh I just hate that.

when I attempt to split my disposable hashi and it they dont split straight. that really annoys me. The symmetry is all stuffed up.

How many of these disposable hashi must this country go though in a day? 130 mio people, 30% eat out once per day = 39mio pairs or 78mio individual sticks which gives 28.5bn little sticks. Adds up rather fast. Poor trees.

• 3 months later...

There seems to be so much secrecy about private lives here. Like if you ask someone where they went on their holiday or something like that it becomes a big mysterious conversation where they try to get out of it. Wierd. Is that normal or just my experiences ?