I had a Handspring Platinum (Palm OS) and now I've got a Toshiba Genio E (Pocket PC). I never used the expansion slot on the Handspring, and if you buy anything for it, it soon comes up to the price of a Pocket PC. If you want to play music, forget about Palm OS. With Flash Memory, my PPC doubles nicely as an MP3 player.

Also, Palm is not particularly good at syncing with your PC, while PPC is nearly flawless. I can't remember using PDFs on the Palm but the PPC handles them nicely.

Benefits of Palm are easy operation, and lots of free software, but it really is quite limited otherwise. PPC can do a lot more, and is ultimately better value I think. (It has a built-in voice memo function).

Drop them hard though, or get them wet, and a fair wad of money goes straight down the drain...

If you work at a company and go to lots of meetings, it's great to have a PDA because you can play with it constantly and look like a keano when actually you're skivving off in plain view. They're nice to have for train commutes too - the games, e-books, music, email and internet functions can keep you from going more crazy than normal.

One of my friends has a new Clie (NX70 I think it is), it looks awesome and he's really happy with it - even though they're quite expensive.

OK someone explain to me - if you put in a wireless LAN card into one, can you just connect to the internet then? And you use the connect info you use for your home PC?? May sound silly question but no-one seems to explain it clearly. Cheers

kev

If you put an 802.11 wireless card in the PDA then you can connect to 802.11 wireless networks. This does not mean you can just walk around with the thing online at all times. If you want it to work in your house you will have to buy an 802.11 access point and hook it up to your home network. Then you can share your broadband connection with the PDA granting you have a broadband router.

There are two different flavors of 802.11 - 802.11a and 802.11b. 802.11a is the newer one that operates in the 5.8GHz range and is much faster. It is also more expensive. 802.11b has been around longer and is therefore cheaper but slower. It operates in the 2.4GHz range. Make sure the Wireless Access Point you buy supports the flavor of wireless you have. I have yet to see an 802.11a enabled PDA, but they may be available in Japan. Note: If you have a 5.8GHz or 2.4GHz phone they may interfere slightly with your wireless network (for a or for b respectively).

Many places in the US have 802.11b networks running in places like coffee shops, cafes, and shopping malls. Some you can just use for free - some you have to pay for. Your computer will detect a connection when it is available and ask you if you want to connect.

All this being said, the wireless add-on you are talking about may not be 802.11 at all. It could be a 'Bluetooth' card which allows you to transfer data over very short distances (just a couple of meters). This allows you to transfer data from you bluetooth enabled PDA (or cell or whatever) back and forth to your bluetooth enabled PC without having to connect any wires. Just get you PDA close and it can automatically sync up.

When I was in Japan I saw a bunch of ads for AirH or something. This is a cellular type modem that you can hook up to a notebook and probably a PDA. It is a modem and not a network card, I believe, so you still have to have an ISP to connect to...but that is quite possibly included. I don't know too much about this but am anxious to learn more.

You may also be talking about some other kind of device I am not familiar with.

You need a wireless (musen) LAN maching attached to your modem. Probably set you back up to 30,000 yen, but once you do that you'll be able to connect multiple PCs including your PDA to the internet without the cables.

The new Clie looks really cool. Looks like something out of Star Trek even.

I haven't seen the real thing so it's hard to judge for sure, but it looks to me like more of Sony's typical 'Break Me' design...

And what's with the twizzling screen? Humans have rotating necks which is why that sort of thing is not so very necessary.

I'll have to get me to an electronics shop one of these days and discover the new wonders (none of which I really need...)

I see. Now it all makes more sense. An innovative solution to the problem of what to do with the cover when it's not being used as a cover.

I've heard from several heavy users of Sony gear that it breaks easily as often it's too complex and not rugged enough. You can see that this would apply with the Clie design, unless it's very well made.

I actually bought one of them Sonys a couple of weeks back. PEGNX70V to be exact, the one in the photo.

It's a great little machine, looks sweet and beautiful screen - best I have ever seen on a PDA. The camera (takes pics and even video) is better than can be expected, and I have it hooked up so I can download mail and browse the web too.

I like gadgets anyway, but this is a very very nice one. Expect to pay around 50,000 yen for it though \:\)

Scouser, you'll need a wireless broadband router attached to your current ADSL tower. It'll probably put you back about 3man. Get a card in your PDA (and other PCs) and you're set for no cable internet access.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

I've heard from several heavy users of Sony gear that it breaks easily as often it's too complex and not rugged enough. You can see that this would apply with the Clie design, unless it's very well made.
i am not a great fan of sony.alot of the sony stuff i have bought has broken within 1-2 years of use.

i much prefer smaller brands like aiwa (they dont make pda's mind)

In response to the original question - it depends on your needs and budget of course.

I only use my PDA when I'm travelling. I bought a used Palm Vx with modem, got a folding keyboard and that's all I need to do email when travelling. (also use the address book and calendar). Works just fine. I don't need anything faster or better than that, so it didn't cost too much either. Of course if I was needing it for other things then that would be a different story......