Japanese test - how was it?

I (feel I) should be taking level 2 today, but I'm not...decided not to when the applications were going in because my level is not up there. Wish I was taking it now, just for the experience.

So, hey, test-taking people - how was it then???

:rolleyes:

As usual no matter how hard you study or what you study theres always stuff on the test that comes outta nowhere. Grammar and reading were really challenging but the other 2 sections were easy. There were just so many rude Chinese people at the test that I dont know if I really wanna move there now... mad.gif

Oblivion,

Keitais going off during the test, and not getting kicked out, talking, looking at the test before it started, sharing answers during the test, being pushed around in line while waiting for food at the cafeteria, and cutting in front of the line while everybody else was waiting patiently for their turn. Yes, the chinese were ****** rude. mad.gif

It wasnt one person. It was the entire group of them. I would say there were 6 or so westerners in my testing room. And, it was worse in other testing rooms according to our friends.

I'll go along with bad mannered Chinese contingent. Don't know where u took the test YP but up here in Sapporo i was stunned at the blatant cheating. A few, not all mind, of the Chinese started the test as soon as it was put on their desk. Even though it was ten minutes before the start. After the listening test, they where turning round comparing and changing answers and even making the 'invigilators' wait while they changed answers.

I know for a lot of the Chinese students it is an extremely important test, and if the invigilators are uniformly useless, which seems to be the case, u can understand them trying it on. But still, not a very good advert for the country.

Bad mannered Chinese? Yes, that sort or sounds right actually. I am ashamed to admit it but that trait seems to come with our culture. That's why I like going to Japan and other "civilized" places. My experience is that it is a bit better here in Hong Kong than in China because of the western influence but our manners in general are still a disgrace.

I tried telling a queue jumper to get back in line once and the general reaction was..."go to hell" and I received no support from others who were in the line.

Anyway, apologies to all.

Yeah Chinese are bad for cheating. The monitors do nothing to stop `em.A chinese chick sittin` next to a friend of mine in the level2 test even had a book and keitai out sussing things out.They were runnin` riot in the level 1 Test too.

my experience was different.

it was only 3kyu, but no-one was cheating in anyway. also, the invigilator was pretty hardcore. he was young, but i wouldnt have fxxxed with him.

YES, YES! I`d have to agree w/ Yuki`s passion on this one. Them Chinese(most of them probably from the countryside of China)haven`t got a clue at all! They`re just RUDE, in general. This one chick sitting in front of me had the nerve to peek at the testbook before we were supposed to begin in all of the sections. She did this pretty much right in front of the examiners, as if she was trying to see how far she could push her luck! I was so disgusted with her action I almost said something...but didn`t. \:\( It`s not like she didn`t understand the rules(it`s common sense anyway). Heck, it was a Level One exam for crying out loud!

Ocean, Im with you on that one, like we talked about in the other discussion we had this test has several problems. Long breaks, WHY? No written or spoken section, why? Once a year? Eiken and Toeic are like 5 times a month so every Toshi, Dai, and Hiroyuki can pass the test when THEY need to. But, we get it ONCE, just ONCE a year?? Come on people!!

Yeah, that grammar was hard Wizz... just gotta wait till the end of January!!

Gees....i only did level 4 in tokyo and there was definitely no cheating going on. One bloke where i was taking the test opened his paper early and got a yellow card for his troubles. Funny stuff that!

Also amused by the young bloke sitting next to me who only filled in half the answers....not the sharpest pencil on his desk. Fair enough if you don't know but at least have a guess!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Yuki's Passion:
No written or spoken section, why?
The only test I know here in Japan that covers this important part of proficiency is the JETRO Business Proficiency Test. Kind'a like the normal prof. test, except a much longer listening and not so much reading. All business jargon and situations.

Again though this test is only once a year and to be able to sit the oral part you have to past level 1. The oral test is about 6 months post the guts exam. At least it used to be anyway.

A funny thing about the prof. test is that you can tell if you passed or not by just checking you letter box.

A4 size envelope = pass.
Business letter size evelope = fail.

Sorry if I took the excitement out of opening for you all :p

Japanese test?

What is called in Japanese if i can ask?

I took a TOEIC English test for the first time back in September 2001. It was probably the same

with what you felt in the Japanese test.

Grammer is okay for me because English education in Japan always goes grammer grammer grammer..... reading reading reading... writing writing writing..

But hearing was extremely hard for me.

Have never lived abroad, neither had any

experience as a foreign exchange student.

I could follow the first some words, but could not follow the rest when the tape was played.

I learned I needed to improve my speaking/hearing skill. So now I take a private English lesson once a week, and it works! Should take more time for it, I'm sure.