POLL - For you drivers - driving license

not sure...

I definetly don't want to get thrown in the cell for running a traffic light...already had 1 close call with the "authorities"...the thing is, I don't think I will be in japan by summer 2003...how much does the whole shebang cost???

i probably will end up getting one...I drive almost 80km a day just for work! well...i'll think about it on the lifts...

danz

I wasnt worried about getting caught etc as have seen a total of 2 checkpoints in 2 years of driving here but more worrying is the insurance thing. I mean if youre not a licenced driver your insurance wont be valid so apart from being a major waste of money it means if you hit someone and kill them then if the rumours are true you might be paying it off for the rest of your life. No thanks

if you are from the UK, Australia, or New Zealand it's no problem to change your country's license over to a Japanese one- I think you just need to take an eyetest and pay for paperwork. But if you are from the US or Canada, you have to take the really difficult behind the wheel test. they encourage you to shell out 6000yen/hour for lessons in order to pass the test. heard of people spending many man and failing the test over and over. i was lucky and took it during a period where a lot of JETs were changing over their licenses and i passed on my first go without any lessons.