Hi there crew, wondering if anyone can help me.I'm heading over to niseko for 3 months in early Jan, but at the same time am looking at finding a good japanese language school in Sapporo or within a couple hours travel to niseko. I've studied in Oz for 18 months, here they say we are high intermediates, but I think more like a 5-6 year olds speech..

I'm looking at applying for student visa..yes I know ..I will have to leave the country..but does anyone know what immigration ask for in terms of money in the bank..eg. money to support yourself..I've heard too many conflicting amounts..Japanese embassy here in Oz has no idea.

Oh yeah I am an old bastard 35 so working visa is out,also no uni degree..any info small or large would be great...one last thing is there decent surf in Hokkaido? Saw heaps of potential breaks, plus all those lows must pump some swell.

From Byron..working in Hell (Adelaide)

Can't help you with much, but if you are considering surfing in Hokkaido I would suggest a dry suit or three max 5mm wetsuits and a huge ice pick attached somwhere to your board or body so you can break up the ice bergs as they float on past you!

You have really gotta be crazy to wanna go surf in the winter up there!

I was out just past Tokyo in the weekend and my feet are still there! THE WATER IS COLD!