Is Blowing your Nose Really RUDE?

mmm...

i had a friend tell me today that its seen to be very very very rude to blow your nose in japan instead u just sniff??

PLEASE EXPLAIN?

is this really ture... what happens if you do blow ur nose in front of somone?

im a tissue person not a sniff person! and in the snow ur nose just runs and runs and runs!??!?!

confused.gif confused.gif confused.gif

I have a limited understanding of the matter, but so far I gather that yes, blowing ones nose is not appreciated in Japan. But if you are a bloke it is ok to take a leak on the footpath at night.

I saw a really cute japanese girl on the train. Then she did this huge sniff and sucked a whole pile of snot into the back of her nose and down her throat. Made me feel ill.

But then, carrying a rag full of snot in your pocket is also a disgusting habit as well. I find it revolting when someone blows there nose near me.

In my opinion, nasal maintenance should be carried out in private.

People blow their noses with tissues if they don't hoick the snot into their digestive systems. There's nothing especially rude about it. As with all of these 'ironclad taboo' things, it's how you do it that's important.

Personally, I enjoy putting my snout into a fresh handkerchief and giving it a few a luxuriant blasts. Beats tissues anyday.

Hankys are just Discusting revolting cruddy grose... i cant stand the thought of using them more than once... thats yucking like using a preloved tissue... all soggy and musshy!

anywyas im a tissue person blow and throw!

so tissues it is!

i get very bad hayfever is there lots and lots of pollins in japan or is it reasonbly clean smog free air?

Quote:
Originally posted by s_f_g / sam:

is it reasonbly clean smog free air?
mate, in tokyo you can see for miles and miles, clean as a whistle. Yeah right. Winter is not so bad for the smog. Summer is a sight to behold. Very smoggy.

I'm not averse to the odd blow at work and i've noticed that one or two of the Japanese staff are the same. So long as you don't run round showing everyone the fruits of your labour you should be right.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
People who fart quietly at work and pretend it's not them offend me more than people blowing their noses.
Really? Maybe I should rethink my policy on this then.

These open planned offices really do impede on the basic things in life. Farts, picking, blowing, sneeezing. Whatever you do 50+ people are with you all the way mad.gif

It's rude in japan to blow your nose if your having a meal with people. Otherwords your safe to do the nasty........ when you have to release the snauttttttttt get it down instead of snorting it down.

Next if your on the mtn do what I do (rugby trick)

Clog your one nostrol passage with your index finger then blow very hard to extract the snaught. It works every time!

Nigelman

snow freak, not sure if you have ever been here, but everywhere you walk you see older men just popping it out and peeing everywhere! pity there are toilets every 10m in conbinis! dirty jiji means dirty old men!

Not having you on at all snow freak!

you see it everywhere here, at night more so, but I just can't get over when these guys are having a **** on the side of the road etc haven't they ever heard of stage fright?? i couldn't do it! most cases they dont even hide just flopsy out!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by deebee:
 Quote:
Originally posted by fisherkingnigel:

Clog your one nostrol passage with your index finger then blow very hard to extract the snaught.
that would be the bushmans hanky there nig.
Or in go'ol NZ: The Farmer's spit.
 Quote:
Originally posted by snowboard_freak:
After a surf is by far the best time to get your nose and sinuses into shape. Everything is just waiting to come out. Nothing like a good big "nasal spag"! \:D \:D
I like the 30mins after surf nose drip that seems to always drop out over important papers!

The pykies who live across the road from me are always popping out in their Playboy cuban-heeled slippers (size too small) to p!ss on their fence post. They do it carefully so as not to splash their BMW. Their dog that loves me so much always looks on with interest.