Maybe this should go in the "things that crack me up" thread or some other, maybe not.

Anyway, does anyone else get this? It seems Japanese think that New Year is a "non-event" in any other country apart from Japan. Christmas is the event, then New Year is nothing - according to all my Japanese friends (who all have absolutely no first-hand knowledge of the actual situation).

All I can say is that New Year here seems no more "special" than it does back home. That's after experiencing 3 of them here with a Japanese family.

Anyone care to add?

well in my book new years is a non event anywhere, just a over hyped up party that you could match for a better time at any night of the year...

Japanese new years is even less exciting, hey i might watch that crappy TV show, eat soba, go to the shrine and watch the sunrise!

maybe your J mates are talking about there being no meaning to our new years. just another excuse to get full of booze and drugs!

If you have family here it's like Echiniko says-so I think it's a similar kind of deal to Xmas in that regard. Can't say I dig the traditional NY food though-cold beans and renkon anyone? I'm thinking of introducing the roast dinner concept to my family. Anyway we have lots of laughs and the drinking is more important than the eating anyway.

Loads of people in England got divorced after the millenium stating as grounds that 'being with my husband/wife on the big day didn't live up to my expectations.' Stupid ******s. I spent that night sitting at home with Mrs 11 drinking Guinness and cutting up old T-shirts into little squares to use for wiping H11's bum with (and wondering if the lights were actually going to go off or not).

New Years in NZ kicks ass! Summer sun, camping with mates somewhere near a beach, huge party somwhere, not being cold, not worrying about where to sleep, bare feet - waaaaaay better than following the other 120 million people to a shrine that you cant even get anywhere near

• 2 weeks later...

its kind of the same the way the Japanese cant understand how Xmas day is a big family day in the west. For them NYD is the family day.

NY eve is a pile of tripe anyway, everyone desparate to be in the middle of the action somewhere. laaaddy dah good for teenagers but I can take it or leave it, if a good party happens on NY eve, fine I'm in just like if a big party happens on one of the other 364 other nights of the year, I'm in.

The best partys I have experienced definately didn't happen on NYEve. They happened spontaneously because no one had high expectations like always happens on NY Eve