Since the thread I asked this question in got closed for some reason... I thought I would bring it up again. At least until I get a "we can't disclose this information" answer.

Quote:
That makes me question, SJ-moderators, what are the sources of revenue for this site? It seems to be a hefty venture. Can you share any of this info with us?

Resorts pay for prime real estate? The reviews are very non-biased and there certainly is no advertising.

When I read the Parent Company's site, I understood that they use the technical features and popularity of this site as a marketing tool for there Japanese and worldwide Web clients....

Kinda a synbiotic? relationship I think - we get a nice site by a company that cares about our passions and they in turn get some great marketing...

Anyways - Works for me......... \:\) \:\)

I think you've got it on the nose there Higuma. It's understandable that they wouldn't wish to disclose information which is commercially sensitive. This site has the potential to be an awesome direct marketing tool. A potential which has, as yet, not been exploited. BTW SJG I for one look forward to being exploited if you can satisfy my needs better than any other commercial venture.

• SnowJapan Admin

The other thread got closed not because of your question - which we neglected to address, sorry - but because of the weather reporting/Now page accuracy issues.

deebee, you seem to have found us out! But alas, Mr Cheeseman has nothing to do with us at all. We do hope though that his comments will turn a bit more "on-topic" over the coming weeks \:\)

As for revenue for our operation. As you might expect, we are not going to go into the details of our business, but a simple explanation....

Snow Japan is part of a web design company owned and started by the creator of the original Ski Japan Guide site. The company is called Iponics Japan ( http://www.iponicsjapan.com ) and you can see our little logo at the top right of each page of the site. Snow Japan acts as a big part of our portfolio in many ways, and we have gained many contracts because of our work on Snow Japan.

As you rightly pointed out in your original post, there is no bias in any resort reviews/rankings etc towards any resorts on Snow Japan - and it is going to stay that way. We are not here to provide any kind of warped view of the winter sports scene, that's not what the site is all about.

We do have good relations with many resorts and hotels - hence we can provide lift ticket and other giveaways to our readers, and introduce some of them in more detail to our readers.

As you might expect, running a site like Snow Japan takes a huge amount of effort and also a very large amount of money - not only for the original design and programming but also in upkeep, reporting, development etc.

Check out the Ocean's View article for a bit more background info : http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/oceans-view-6.html

We do welcome advertising - and have proven results for current advertisers - but we are sure you will be happy to hear that there will not be large and annoying flashing banners all over the site any time soon. But if you do know of any businesses who you think might be able to benefit from our large audience (which has actually tripled since even last year) - whether it be hotels, resort or non-snow industry related - then please do introduce them to us! We would of course see that you were compensated for the introduction in the case of any new business contracts being brought to us.

Any advertising enquiries should go direct to business@snowjapan.com

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Oh, and they have a small sweatshop in the basement of Yuzawa railway station with 600 pre-teen children working which all helps to fund this site.
This explains the lack of Children in Tokyo!
  • SnowJapan Admin

Thank you enderzero.

As we said, the possible ways our readers can help and support us is:

a) spreading the word about the site by telling other people about it (E and J versions of course);

and

B) helping out with possible introductions to potential sponsors/advertisers.

Anyway, have a good weekend!