Without degrading into a "I'm cool" thread, honestly, are there drugs available in Japan? I was seeing a Japanese TV doc on Sunday that was talking about "increasing" drug use among young Japanese.

theres a huge rave culture. during the warm months there are big outdoor parties every weekend with thousands of ravers. lots in the mountains of nagano. my favorites are solstice at mt fuji and visionquest. you can find ecstasy, but it costs about 5000yen. everyones on something at the parties, sometimes they have booths selling the legal psychedelics.

you mean besides beer and alchohol????

there used to be lots of head-shops in Shibuya, and hemp _seems_ to be psedo-legal. Hash can be had easily, and if you're into speed, go talk to your local yakuza. I think acid is fairly common-place in Shibuya also.

So yeah, there's stuff out there, like anywhere else. But I can think of healthier ways to spend your hard-earned yen.

I went to the Solstice 'Crystal Skulls' event in Chiba and there were more than 10K, probably 15K there and most were off their heads!! It certainly could have been the music..it was there best rave ive been to..but it was more likely the ecstacy. this was most evident when the sound system blew for about 3 minutes. no music, dead quite and 10K people all tapping their feet and nodding their heads @ 140bpm. Then to walk outside and to see the other 2 or 3 thousand sitting on the ground like death warmed up summed it up to me. I was offered drugs at least 20 times, by foreigners, japanese and event staff and took up the offer of a spliff from the staff.

great night though. :p

Drugs are everywhere here as they are everywhere else! like others have said there are huge dance parties where you will always find a large amount of people with rather large smiles on their faces. My experience with the J-crew is that they do dabble in it but a large number these days are there coz trance is fashionable and they are into the music. I have spoken to many and met many at the outdoor/indoor raves who are there just for the DJ. This is not the case with the gaijin... they still know whats best for them!

• 2 weeks later...

There was a big ecstacy bust in Nagoya last month. Trance party at a live house, by the sounds.

BTW, has anyone seen the Japanese subculture mag "Burst"? I saw it for the first time today, and it's got a really long article about the Cannabis Olympics in the 'Dam. Loads of closeups of really furry gear and huge waterpipes. There's another article about a squat party in Osaka, and lots of ads for strange tats and body piercing. Next month, the leading article is about "American homegrown"!?!? I've never seen anything like it in Japan before.

mushrooms of the magical were to be had with the nod of mr plod, but this i believe has changed, as someone worked out they do funny things to your head.

a bit of a shame.

someone (who wasnt living there) used the gaijin pad i lived in to import shit via the post! then asked me to bring it over when it arrived!! the nerve of some people! i asked for it to stop, but at least one futher package came thru.

not to make peeps paranoid or anything but just a word of warning. Don't get caught! duh u say, well, the legal system in japan is prolly different to what u might expect. for example, there's the 99% conviction plus u can be held up to 20 odd days without being charged. Don't believe it? well, here's the link where i got the info from.

http://www3.tky.3web.ne.jp/~edjacob/qjindex.htm

i've never seen cops break up a party or anything before (altho i saw heaps circling round the rave in their patrol cars) but i've noticed that j-dudes selling drugs don't do it as openly as they used to. Before they would just plain ask random people if they wanted anything. now, i see guys doing it all hush hush like putting the pills in their mouth and "kissing" their customers. dunno if this means anything but i imagine getting busted in japan would be a pretty big downer.