though i expect to still do a bit of backcountry before the season is through, is everyone making the transition to the park now? our hill has finally got a decent park with two good sized tables (for me, not small, but not monsters) and three rails.

had lots of fun yesterday perfecting the tried and true straight airs (i'm finally doing them properly, going big enough that jared worries that i'm going too fast and big, not that that's saying much lol.gif )and now i think i'm ready to stick in a few grabs. lets hope they're decent enough for a vid \:D

but anyways, gotta go skiing now and practise!!!

..And that leads me to the big question.

How to get started on those jumps whitout getting hurt?

It looks fun, but i am really afraid of getting airborne. What are the "golden rules"?

thanks

ATB

Thunderpants

well, from someone who was trying them but not going big enough to make the down ramp or good enough to stomp a landing... till yesterday, i can say, try something smaller first and just practice straight airs and do those really well before you try any tricks. you see so many people trying flippy twisty things when they barely make it off the ground and can't even land...

go slower than you think you need to and "pop" hard, rather than going faster, not popping, going too big and not being able to control yourself. you get hurt that way (i've done it)

popping... keeps you in control and gives you height without having to go at great speeds (which can lead to disaster if you can't control yourself at that speed...)

but i'm no expert, just speaking from humble experience!!!

strangely, till this weekend, every jump scared me to death and i would have to psyche myself up for everyone... and the results were variable, but i suddenly (quite suddenly cos i don't know how it came about) i have been doing things right, going way bigger than i ever had, making the down ramp (sometimes landing halfway down it) and what's more amazing, i've been able to correct myself, stay in control and really stomp my landings. how this happened when the jumps they now have at our resort are bigger and more intimidating than any i have ever tried before... i really don't know. but it is soooooo much fun \:D

got some footage today (looks so small on video \:\( ) so should check out the vids soon...

approach the jump with enough speed to clear it...closing the last 30-50ft just straight with no carving...crouch down as low as you can...extend your arms out in front and slightly to the side of you (giving you proper balance before takeoff)...if your not used to doin ollies off the lip dont attempt to jump at the lip...just ride the whole jump crouched and you will get air...if you have to jump at the lip of the jump, your not going fast enough possibly causing you to not clear the jump and losing control at the flat table part of the jump...most important thing about jumps is make sure your in control right before take off and getting enough speed...totally balanced, otherwise its gonna be a bad situation if you try and correct yourself right at the top of the jump...if at all you think your not inline to hit it, bail it...trust me...ive broken my humerus and dislocated many a shoulder when starting before someone actually told me the dos and donts about the whole jumping thing...but once you find your comfort zone, thats when it gets fun...goodluck and BE CAREFUL \:D

tommyboy, wanna come with me when I next go into the park? I could use a coach.

I landed right on my tailbone last time I tried to hit a jump and nearly shook every tooth out of my head.

Some good advice posted, but....

In my experience, if you think about it too much, that's when things go wrong. Just do it. I'm not saying go big at first, but just try what you have in mind, don't overthink it and just GO! You can refine your technique later. It takes some cajones to do it that first time, but once you get that first jump/launch/drop under your belt, you're good. Wrecks are inevitable, but they also teach you respect.

I'm not much of a park guy, but more of a backcountry big drop kinda guy (at least I was before a couple of knee surgeries). You just have to go and damn the consequences. Just be smart about it.

Good luck - I look forward to checking the vids out!

Thanks All, i'll post some X-rays, if nothing else..

no really, i feel like going for some small jumps, after reading your posts. You need some basic knowledge and i am gratefull for the advices, but i agree with you Plucky, thinking about things too much, can mess up the flow.

ATB

ThunderSuit

I injuried myself this weekend on a simple big 180 I didnt even fall down but my ankle got popped in my boot. Was too bad cause I was stomping FS 360s to switch in the pipe this weekend.

My advice is always pop. If you dont pop youll get set back. Start small build a small one if you have too. Always pop. Shimba jared is right stay within limits if your running at the jump to fast and not popping you could land on your back in the flats or on the lip.

ahhh, but you see, what is great is that i gave him a scare, but i was totally in control... vid is going up today, so have a watch... it wast the top table and a shot of me doing both... jared's exclamations of suprise (and a little worry) were dubbed over by the music.

i dont know what you mean by 'pop' but i assume you mean an ollie. i read in some places that you shouldnt ollie off a jump with a kicker.

for me, i tend to ollie off smaller jumps that i am comfortable with, but for larger jumps, i just go off them crouched. however sometimes the kickers throw me off balance so i am rotating backwards in the air.

Why put the music on Shimba? Do you like music at the resorts? It's a bit daft having to tell us what sounds were there before you covered them over with something completely extraneous...

The doctor I will go tomorrow was praying that cause last night it felt ok but today it feels the same.

Shimba the reason you are being set back is cause your not popping. an ollie is a skateboard term but its the same. To pop will set your balance if you dont pop you have no balance. Off of cliffs you should pop also it sets your body position. Please be careful who ever is saying not to ollie or pop is giving bad advice. youll be set back and if your unlucky youll crash on the deck on your back.

I have run away with the computer today so I’ll answer. (It’s me who puts in the music anyway)

Yes I do like music at the resort. I will admit that they could make better musical selections 80% of the time but it certainly doesn’t bother me. If people are after peace and quiet in the mountains then a mega-resort with facilities for transporting thousands of people per day onto the hills is obviously not a good place to look for it.

I like music when I ski, I like music when I drive, I like music when I wash the dishes (just kidding I don’t wash the dishes) and I especially like music when I am watching ski vids.

What I don’t like is the sound of wind noise on microphone, the sound of my recorded voice or what windows media compression does to audio. If we did not have music in the vids I would still delete the existing audio track and have silence rather my strange voice saying dumb things. I do realise that the compression we use to make the vids small enough for the net butchers the audio but since the vids are mainly made for our friends and us rather that the net we don’t really care too much. (p.s do many people have DivX? I would rather encode the vids into that than wmv. But I think wmv. Might be more widespread.)

I could make a rather simplistic suggestion related to the volume control on your computer but I’m sure you are smart enough to sort that out yourself.

Fattwins, for the most part she isn’t too far back, the shot where she is almost sitting down is mainly because she went much bigger that she expected. (She has only really been doing proper jumps for 2 days).

I never commented on how she skied just what was said. The worst advice is not to pop, you know that. As for her jumps I saw them looked fine but one hell of alot of speed she has more guts then my lady, I wish I met mine earlier cause we arent young anymore.

Quote:
The worst advice is not to pop, you know that.
ok, i'm confused about what you are talking about fattwins... i don't think i ever said anything about not popping...

Quote:
go slower than you think you need to and "pop" hard, rather than going faster, not popping, going too big and not being able to control yourself. you get hurt that way (i've done it)

popping... keeps you in control and gives you height without having to go at great speeds (which can lead to disaster if you can't control yourself at that speed...)
i thought my point was to make sure you do \:\)

ok didnt get that part, was more directing towards tommyboy as just sit back on the jump and not pop if your not used to it.

Shimba you were fine on your jumps but you looked as if you were just riding onto them flying over like a downhiller. relax slow down a bit and pop it will be hard to grab if you dont pop to set your position.

yeah, i definately agree with you there, but also keeping in mind i only really started doing them and only two sets of jumps actually got filmed.

lol.gif my popping leaves a lot to be desired anyway, need more practice \:D

my point about popping or ollie on the lip is if your just starting out...just keep low off of the jump and ride it...if your not comfortable with jumps or new at it...trying to ollie off it is gonna throw you off...the guy is starting out with doing hits so i gave him some beginner tips...so as a beginner peeps tend to go slow at the approach to the jump forcing them to neither popping or ollieing off the jump but actually jumping straight up and out of the jump not clearing it resulting in a hard landing on top of the hit...just to clear up my point...i agree with ollies off the lip to get more air and to assist in rotations on a hit but thats for someone lookin to start tossin in style and steezin it out for the ladies...word ;\)

my point about popping or ollie on the lip is if your just starting out...just keep low off of the jump and ride it...if your not comfortable with jumps or new at it...trying to ollie off it is gonna throw you off...the guy is starting out with doing hits so i gave him some beginner tips...so as a beginner peeps tend to go slow at the approach to the jump forcing them to neither popping or ollieing off the jump but actually jumping straight up and out of the jump not clearing it resulting in a hard landing on top of the hit...just to clear up my point...i agree with ollies off the lip to get more air and to assist in rotations on a hit but thats for someone lookin to start tossin in style and steezin it out for the ladies...word ;\)

bad advice here is why. \:\) You need to know the basics first. You should pop off of every jump if your not that comfortable with yourself you shouldnt be jumping. Im not asking for 100% but just a try. Do it right now and you dont have to correct the mistakes later. \:\) \:D