Driving? Intl license? Go to the police NOW

timeline.jpg

(It should say Japans Drivers Licence rules are here)

well I just went to the Nara licence centre with Mrs Kamoshika in tow to translate with the pen pushers. I had my translation, gaijin card, licence, passport, photo the whole shabang....but.....

It didnt happen why you ask?? well here is why

NEW ZEALAND LICENCE HOLDERS PLEASE NOTE!!!

you need to have proof you stayed in the country of issue for three months after issue, fine I thought I got my licence in 1991 BUT BUT my current NZ licence doesnt mention that it only has the date of issue of that current version which is Oct 2000, which after I entered Japan in Feb 2000! (I renewed the licence on Holiday while back in NZ)

so the fickle little worm I delt with said "no good", need proof that I had licence before Oct 2000 because he cant verify it on the current license! unbelievable!!! I held my cool but Mrs Kamoshika was getting little argumentative!

And the oddest thing of all on the back of the NZ has the date of issue of My heavy Trailer learner licence which is 1994. No good he said again, its only a learner licence and not proof of full drivers licence. How the hell does one hold a learner heavy trailer licence without first holding a car and regular truck licence first???I ask you!

Luckily I kept a copy of my old original paper licence for posterity and will go back tomorrow and give it too him with a facetious smile.

argh the joys of Japan

:rolleyes:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
argh the joys of Japan
You're taking it with far more humor than I am. I suppose you being able to get to the place that does it may help. It's basically a full day off work for me getting there and back, so if I am not 100% OK on mine, I will be more than furious.

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Today I just sucked it it up and walked out and went to the gym and forgot about it,

Its like that "serenity prayer" today was a day for "serenity" and not for "courage" to change....

you need to import so seriously pi**ed off little graemlins like these guys

EVILLE.gif kickass.gif lynchstill.gif bs.gif wall.gif

Just a quick warning. They are pretty serious about the three month thing. So if you have renewed your licence since you have been in Japan and it doesn't have a original date of issue you'll have to get some proof from your home transportation ministry. I had some friends who forgot and they had to make a new appointment, which postponed everything another few weeks.

Getting proof of that sort may turn out to be harder than you think after maybe 8 years or more in Japan. The guy at the 'Shiojiri Safety Center' told me all sorts of things would be accepted as proof - old telephone bills (yeah, I still have a lot of them from the late 80s), national insurance slips - but none of the obvious, sensible things like a degree certificate or a passport. In the end I had to contact my TA regiment and have them certify that I was in the army for 3 years (the document had to be translated by a registered translator, but not by me, I couldn't be trusted not to cheat).

So before you even think about going in, I'd be sure to gather what proof you can, and check on the phone what they'll accept. Accept no bullshit about Japanese bureaucrats needing to deal face-to-face. I found that I got better help and things went smoother when I yelled at full volume, and used extremely coarse language. Get the name and position of whoever you speak to so you can quote and embarrass them later if need be.

just went back for round 2 and I walked out victorious with my licence groovy.gif ......but not after going to no less than 5 different counters a cumulative total of 10 times, lord only knows why, maybe they thought I was so impeccably prepared with my evidence, they couldnt possibly deny me anymore, but why not send me around a few counters for my trouble anyway....

\:D

sorry, one more time for me the slow one (me):

you need to prove that you stayed in the country of issue (Oz in my case) for 3 months after issue of the ticket? Is that correct?

So my Oz ticket has expired, I go back to Oz some time soon to get a new one whilst on holiday FOR 1 WEEK, not 3 months. I return to Japan, I cant get a Japanese ticket?

I must be confused.

Quote:
Originally posted by db:
sorry, one more time for me the slow one (me):

you need to prove that you stayed in the country of issue (Oz in my case) for 3 months after issue of the ticket? Is that correct?

So my Oz ticket has expired, I go back to Oz some time soon to get a new one whilst on holiday FOR 1 WEEK, not 3 months. I return to Japan, I cant get a Japanese ticket?

I must be confused.
Deebs, the way i understand it to be is that its 3 months from the first time you were awarded your current licence. I have had several renewals but the first issue was in 95 (full licence) so it should mean that. As my aussie licence has no Issue date on it either! just an expiry date!

hmmm, I have a guinea pig... my girlfriend. She has a valid oz card with her here in japan so she can go in first. That way she can experience all the hassles and be the designated driver.

I still have to buy the stinking car though.

I'm sorry Inodosimu-san, but your foreign driving license has no issue date. In Japan, we Japanese have licenses with issue dates on them. We cannot accept this, and furthermore, we will believe nothing further that you say. Please get a letter from your government explaining why your license has no issue date. This letter must be translated and signed by a recognized translation agency. Next. NEXT!

It is a major hassle in the states (or at least Washingotn state) to renew your license. You have to go down there and wait for 2 hours or more if it is really busy.

... and I always thought that was a real hassle.

and i thought they were hassling me in oz when they said i couldnt get my photo on my new licence cos i didnt have a photo on my old licence, and i would need to present my passport (it has since become compulsory to have a photo). so my current licence still has no photo... and no issue date. but i'm hoping the big city cops do it easy...

Well I've got my appointment - next Friday. So if I it when I go to the office, it will be like 4 weeks total.

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

PS I have been careful to be very polite and not lose my temper with the authorities without fail on this - perhaps that's where I'm going wrong ;\)

Big mistake I'd say. There was no more fooling about, and lots of bowing and scraping when I yelled at them.

One of them confided to my Australian friend that he's especially harsh with the Filippinas as they're backward and can't be trusted. People like that have a hierarchy in their minds, at the top of which I believe are Caucasians who go red in the face and bellow. mad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new here, but I went through the same kind of experience as Fukdane (maybe not quite as bad!). It was a real pain and very frustrating. When I asked the people at the driving center WHY we weren't informed about the change of law, he asked me incredulously "So you aren't reading the town law notices regularly" (as if I should be!). Can you believe it?

So there you go - every good gaijin should go to the police station or town office each week to check all the news of new laws being passed. OK, get on down there now!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Everyone got theirs?

My friend (who was thinking of getting his done) got stopped yesterday by the cops - and seems to be in trouble. They are asking him to "report to the main police office" today to hear the punishment.

More when he tells me.