Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
I used to be just Starbucks, but when I was in the UK there was a new one (Italian?), Cafe Nero - that was great!
I know your post is 2 years old, but it is people like you Rach that are turning the UK into a franchise dive for people like me who love food in all its social forms. You graduated from Starbucks (!!!!) to Cafe Nero? Please. I hav eno comment worth typing for Starbucks. But Cafe Nero and its competitors aren't even cafes. Seriously, they aren't cafes. They are franchise abominations that serve atrocious food and average coffee.... all with as much independent flair and local soul as a 7-11.

Rachy - have you ever been to another Anglo city like Sydney, Melbourne, San Fran? When you go, take note of the cafes. They are doing a stunning job of adapting the concept in non-continental Europe surrounds ;-) London and Tokyo still rank very low on my cafe culture scale of cities.

And yo, Bobby12 - it is impossible to buy an espresso machine for £40. Starting price for an ok one is more like £200. But at least you are loving your coffee all the same. I myself save the cash and use one of those screw-together metal espresso machines that sit on your hotplate. They cost about €5 from supermarkets (in Italy).

At work I have a small cappuccino for breakfast. I dunk my croissant into it. It tastes good.

Yep I have one of those stove top espresso pots too, but it produces really bitter coffee with no crema - I just use it when camping now. Honestly it doesnt compare to proper espresso!

The lack of crema is an issue, but I like the strength! It is hard enough getting any of the local 'cafes' to produce an espresso with proper crema, so I have learnt to go without. I only drink about 3 espresso a week at home so cant justify the expense of anything fancier anyway.

I was in St Albans once, at a crepe restaurant (they were deep fried eek.gif ). After the meal I had a double espresso. She gave me an espresso cup filled to the absolute brim with plunger coffee. I politely let her know that you do not pour an espresso like a pint of ale. She didn't get it.

Deep friend crepes, sounds grim!

Those atrocious chains selling terrible food also seem to get away with doing that at incredible prices. How can they get away with that?

Best coffee I had was in the PNG Highlands – we saw it growing in each village, drying in the sun on tarpaulins, and being sold/ground, etc in Goroka’s coffee market (coffee capital of PNG), then had it brewed – what a taste!

It was so sweet we didn’t need milk or sugar in it … can buy it here but not the same as straight from the villagers. thumbsup.gif

Reminds me of the coffee in egypt, its basically half a cup of ground coffee beans and half boiling water - you get 2/3rds thru drinking it and it suddenly starts tasting like chalk. then you cant sleep for 4 days.

• 4 weeks later...

How much do coffee beans cost in Japan? I'm talking about the beans before they are ground.

Also, are they readily available? ie. even in a supermarket in a small city can you buy coffee beans?

Just as an odd turn of happenstance, I was at Tokyu Hands in Sapporo last month, and saw a 7-ounce bag of 100% Kona coffee from Lion Coffee or Royal Kona (same company) for over twice the $18US I paid at the factory to bring to Japan as omiyage. Granted Hands isn't a coffee shop, but I've seen similar pricing at a dedicated bean shop near Maruyama-koen.

Quote:
Originally posted by bobby12:
How much do coffee beans cost in Japan? I'm talking about the beans before they are ground.

Also, are they readily available? ie. even in a supermarket in a small city can you buy coffee beans?
This may be of very little help, but there is a fresh bean place with many sacks of different varieties in Shimokitazawa near Shinjuku.

I was not a coffee drinker then so never sampled their stuff. But I would go in there very often to smell the beans. Roasting is performed on the shop floor in a big hot cement mixer.

There seems to be a fair choice at many places - my supermarket even has about 4 different ones (1 of which is really good, will have to check the name on that),

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Coffee in Bali is usually pretty good. Dirt cheap as well.
But it only tastes good in bali! (with the condended milk pre surfs)

I had some fresh coffee in Sumbawa. Helped roast it, and the did it with coconut too which gave it a nice finish. Was as strong as hell, probably what put the hairs on my back eek.gif