im going to add a second part to this question.

out of the countries/cities you have lived, which has been the most enjoyable?

im sure many will disagree, but for someone my age singapore has been a really nice place to live. its safe, good nightlife, relatively inexpensive etc. mind you, all my teen years was spent living in singapore so its the place ive had the most freedom to do what i want, plus for the last year ive been living away from home, so there is even more freedom.

im sure if i spent this time living anywhere else i wouldve had an equally great time, probably less freedom though.

In my opinion, Italy is the best country. They have everything. A jaw-droppingly beautiful land, eons of history, fantastic food, style, attitude...

If Italy was loaded with Shibuya girls, I would never leave the place!

By the way, are there any Italians on this board? I'd love to know where to ride in Italy. I've only seen magazine articles about how rich people go to Cortina d'Ampezzo, but there must be great little towns where one can stay cheap and ski advanced terrain. The Alps? Dolomites? Si parla italiano.

And here is the italian chap. ;\)

badmig,

I guess you've already lived here, so maybe I'm saying something you already know, but anyway...

The best skiing areas in Italy are Valle d'Aosta and Trentino (where the Dolomiti are). Valle d'Aosta is very similar to the French Alps and Valais (Switzerland), while Trentino... is quite unique. The vistas are beautiful and in the last

two years they got more snow than Valle d'Aosta. Valle d'Aosta is within easy reach from Milan (biggest international airport in Northern Italy), while going to Trentino from Milan can be a pain in the ass: some resorts are really far from here (4+ hours by car).

As a result, I think people in Valle d'Aosta got accustomed to all the people coming in from Milan and Turin, and they are more open towards

tourists, while in Trentino... well, they can be real assholes. Overall, Trentino is a bit more expensive than Valle d'Aosta.

IMO best places to ski/snowboard in Valle d'Aosta are La Thuile, Pila, Champoluc and Cervinia. Pila and Champoluc are dead at night, but they are cheaper than the others. La Thuile is ok (nothing special at night). Cervinia has some nice restaurants and pubs, but it's more expensive and the village sucks: most of the houses have been build during the '70 boom and the architecture... well, it's horrible to look at. Cervinia's ski fields are linked to Zermatt (Switzerland): If I had to choose between Cervinia and Zermatt, I would definitely go to Zermatt. The place is 10

times better than Cervinia.

In Trentino best places IMO are Canazei and Madonna di Campiglio. They are more expensive than their counterparts in Valle d'Aosta(especially Madonna di Campiglio), but they offer everything: ski and apres-ski. You can find tons of info on these places on the web.

Other names of good resorts on the Alps:

- Cortina d'Ampezzo (Veneto): probably the most famous resorts in Italy. Posh. I would skip it. Way too expensive.

- Madesimo (Lombardia): the Lombardia's version of Cortina. It's not bad, but it's quite far from Milan and if there is a lot of snow, sometimes they close the road and you're stuck there.

- Sauze d'Oulx (Piemonte): definitely underrated. Good skiing and good nightlife.

- Verbier: yeah, I know it's in Switzerland, but it's within easy reach from Milan. Great skiing and a lot of partying (ok, I'm biased... this is my "home resort" and I have a season pass, so...)

I know this is a very generic overview, but I don't wanna bore people talking about non-japanese resorts. If you wanna more detailed infos, help with booking or whatever, just let me know. No prob.

Two last things:

- rent an apartment. Hotels are way overpriced on the Alps.

- book for february. Sometimes march is already too late (and you don't wanna ride on artifical snow). Right now conditions are insane: snow, snow and more snow. Definitely the best days of the season, so far.

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon:

- Verbier: yeah, I know it's in Switzerland, but it's within easy reach from Milan. Great skiing and a lot of partying (ok, I'm biased... this is my "home resort" and I have a season pass, so...
verbier is so nice. i was there in 2000, and i definatley want to return sometime in the not too distant future.

Born in the states (near Chicago) but raised in Hawaii. After high school, lived in Mississippi, Washington state, Korea, Virginia, The Azores Portugal, Oklahoma, Okinawa, and now Misawa.

Without a doubt, growing up in Hawaii with no responsibility was the best but since then, Japan is where its at. Still prefer Okinawa over Aomori-ken because of my love the ocean (I have gills behind my ears like Kevin Cosner in Water World) but I have to admit, playing in the snow is a lot of fun too...