A new Backcountry Boardroom feature, "The Japan Sessions, So Far", has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/boardroom-10.html

"First off I would like to thank all of you who have helped to make my first winter here in the mountains of the rising sun, such a good one. Thanks for your help, and for all the great times and great lines, there will be many more to come.

So, wow, it’s been a pretty wild ride so far, and it’s only just creeping up on March with the spring touring season just around the corner. Things have definitely improved since I arrived in this kickass little valley back in mid-December, during the early season drought."

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/boardroom-10.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here...

its very uhm... technical! confused.gif

Quote:
Wind loading on a pocket of surface hoar created a slab crown, 1m deep, on a convex role 300m below the obvious start zone on this popular off-piste area.

you are of course 100% right FT - sorry - im just in a smart-ass larikin mood today \:D

& what you just said was exactly my attitude on my first 2 visits to niseko (& i did some ~really~ dumb things), but this last trip i was very careful. next time i go OS, i will do an avvie course for sure (not much point in doing one in oz i suspect... we dont get many avvies)

lpl is right. The point is, just reeling off geekspeak like that doesn't help anybody to 'know' any more about it. It's just showing off, and it would be funny if it wasn't annoying (and misspelled - it's 'convex roll' and 'whore' ;\) ).

When dealing with weather how do you not speak in tech terms? sun on the snow made a crust. Now snow fell on the crust making a layer that might be unsafe. Temps will need to warm up and melt that layer into the snowpack or it will need to slide on its own. his writing was understandable to anyone who has even picked up a book about avies

Well if you're going to write technical stuff for a predominantly non-technical audience, it might also be a good idea to pick up a book about technical writing and how to introduce technical terms to lay audiences. I don't have much call to pick up a book on avvies at the moment, but I wouldn't mind finding out a bit by reading an article that imparts knowledge, however limited.

I know SJ doesn't get that many articles to start with, but to bother reading them, it would be nice if they weren't full of cliches and jargon...

Ocean...perhaps Nathan feels no obligation to write an article for the layman and is gearing this towards a more educated audience? Surely, with more and more experienced skiers reading and writing articles, there will be articles such as these that are aimed towards advanced back country skiers/boarders. Maybe it is just a bit over your head........ wakaranai.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by low pressure lover:
its very uhm... technical! confused.gif

Quote:
Wind loading on a pocket of surface hoar created a slab crown, 1m deep, on a convex role 300m below the obvious start zone on this popular off-piste area.
Not at all mate, and I expect you of all good Oz types to understand what he is talking about (note - typical db crap follows):

Wind loading – holding your breath cause your mate dropped his guts in the taxi.
surface hoar – she dressed ok, but under the surface, she was a hoar.
slab crown – drink one of these and you will go home with any surface hoar
popular off-piste area – [any joke relating to getting on the piss will do here]

How are you supposed to spell "hoar"? :rolleyes: lol.gif

I thought it was nice to see an article with some technical stuff. I like it more than the gushing "awesome-fantastic-amazing-this-has-to-be-the-best-and-only-place-of-this-type in Japan" articles written by people who sound like they've bought into some hype and haven't really been to any other area in Japan, or anywhere else with a decent snowfall for that matter.

Talisker-indeed a fine drop!

Fattwins, I never imagined you'd be the one to teach me to spell. ;\) What I said he spelled wrong, he spelled wrong - it's 'roll', not 'role'. I actually found and read a lot of that glossary the other day when I was checking terms related to ceramic powder used in LTCCs (ceramic particles and avalanches share some terms in common).

And anyway what he wrote is actually plain enough from the context. One doesn't have to be part of some imagined BC elite to master a bunch of jargon. Nor does using a bit of misspelled jargon equal 'technical'. Sorry to anybody who thinks it does.

Anybody fancy trading a bit of Low Temperature Co-fired Ceramic terminology with me? I've got it down I have. wave.gif

Nate

Thanks for the information. Sounds like it was a good season despite the avi.

It may have been a bit technical for the non-BC type skier. However the info was still good. Just curious is there any sites that gives avalanche conditions for Japan in English.

lol.gif Cheers for setting me straight cobber! lol.gif

d=(^o^)=b said >

Quote:
Not at all mate, and I expect you of all good Oz types to understand what he is talking about (note - typical db crap follows):

Wind loading – holding your breath cause your mate dropped his guts in the taxi.

surface hoar – she dressed ok, but under the surface, she was a hoar.

slab crown – drink one of these and you will go home with any surface hoar

popular off-piste area – [any joke relating to getting on the piss will do here]

• 3 weeks later...