• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought new 6 gig mini ipod. I joined the vast line of fellow baa-baa's and gave apple my cash. What tipped me to apple in the end; new longer battery life (expect about 12 hours normal use on 5th gen mini) and the extensive list of add ons for the ipods.

Does anyone download (and pay for) music in Japan. My wife wants to download Japanese mp3's but we haven't managed to find a site yet. The ones we have seem to only offer WMT - Sony's lovely music format.

Yes we pay extra for some coolness I think. Not a whole lot more though. The mirror costs a fair bit I think. ;\)

Do a search on rakuten for ipod and you'll find some thin rubber (silicone) 'sheaths' for your mandaPod. (I thought there was some talk of those earlier on in this topic actually).

honest john; yeah no warning, one day i was looking at ipod minis and bang! next day on apple.com site their were new ipods.just had it for a weekend trip to Europe and got 12 hours out of it and it was still going strong.

Probablycrazyperson: Well when they come out in Japan you'll pay a lot less than we do here in the UK, probably about the same as US. We just love getting ripped off here, or rather we're too polite to complain.

yeah you need a skin like this one here; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75523&item=5755580961&rd=1

Apple have a battery replacement policy - if you're getting less than, I think, half the battery time you should be within the warranty period. You can also put it under applecare for extended warranty, including battery replacement, but 3rd party replacement batteries can be bought cheaper than the applecare cost, and often give more battery life than the original one. I think I'm just about ready for a new one. I'm down to about 3 and a bit hours after over a year and a half of use.

You're also probably a heavy duty user so battery runs out faster. Tips to extending battery life include playing it while charging, and topping up the charge as much as possible.

I see that the new minis have a longer battery life. Maybe apple is finally waking up and smelling the coffee..

thanks guys. that blue ebay one looks nice, but its for the mini.

all the skins ive seen in canada are fugly as. and there seems to be a better range for the minipod than my 40gigger.

ive got my mum looking for something in japan.

and sunrise, what would you consider to be a heavy duty user?

I know of someone who did it themselves. Bought a high performance battery from OWC who are selling a good brand there. The battery came with a special plastic tool to make opening the case very easy. However, if you have one of the thinner 3G iPods (which I do) you apparently have to be a lot more careful about it.