I'm thinking about buying something (not the shuffle or flash, bigger thing).

Since this thread started, a lot has been said.

So - if I wanted a 40GB machine what would you recommend to look at other than the ipod.

\:\)

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, i just read 17 pages of ipod, i'm pretty tired now.

I want a HD player for my car, and ipod seems like a good choice, but:

am i stuck with itunes for transfering, or can ipod come up in windows explorer with a driveletter?

how about file structure om ipod's hd, can you have albums organized in folders (like om my pc)

..and i probably misunderstood some of the earlier posts, but is playback not 16bit 44khz?

and is VBR ok? (probably)

thanks ipod freaks

ATB

TP

I'm not a techhead so I don't understand some of your questions, but as far as I know you need iTunes. And the albums I have are organised on my HDD in folder. Artist folders, then album folders within those.

You can play back in 16 bit 44.1k if you like. The files are a lot bigger of course, so they like to advertise compressed files cos they're smaller. I have a number of WAV files on mine.

I'm using a Mac and can't answer your other questions though I"d say you'd have to use iTunes (but iTunes is very cool).

ahh, thanks!

i will try not to talk to techhead talk.

soundfiles can be recorded in a frequence range from less than 6000hz to 192khz and probably higher. A 44khz file is actually only 22khz pr channel if it's a stereo track.

the resolution can be from 8 to 32 bit i think, an 8 bit track sounds something like an old Commodore 64 or a really old soundcard on a pc. 8 bit sound devices with frequence range less than 44khz (2x22) can play 16 bit, 44khz files allright, it just sounds bad.

but Sunrise, you probably know a lot more about that than i do anyway.

My question was if ipod delivers 8 bit sound from 16 bit(mp3) files, it is unlikly, but i read in an earlier post something about 8 bit sound, and i just wanted do make sure.

In other words: does it make good sound?

mp3's can be compiled in different bitrates the higher bitrate, the better quality.

The bitrate for an mp3 is not the same as resolution, it tells how many samples per second is used.

i asked about VBR, it stands variable bit rate, a vay of compiling your mp3's so the quiet parts of your file gets lov bit rate and "busy" parts higher bitrate.

most mp3 players plays vbr files, so i guess ipod does too, i just could not find info on ipod's website.

i guess i can live with itunes, but

Ipod seems like a great choice for my car. i am so tired of scratched mp3 cd's in my car, so i went to look for hd car stereo's last weekend. cheapest one i could find was a 160.000 yen sony with a 15 gb non removable hd. file transfer had do be done via a memorystick!!!!

would it be easy to browse thru 12.000 files while driving on a narrow mountain road at night?

must have....

ATB

TP

I'm not familiar with VBR, sorry.

Probably what you read about 8 bit files was for recording into the iPod - the best you can currently get is 8 bit mono, thru an iMic. Apple have crippled the software for recording stereo.

But playback is absolutely fine. ie - 44.1k, 16 bit stereo loud and clear.

i've tried it, but there are some things i really don't like about it.

i've already commited to another setup,

http://leif.cx/mp3stock/mp3stock_1.21.00_beta.exe

(a discontinued project btw)

and organized all my files, that has taken years!

i'm also a hardcore winamp fan

...and itunes is plain ugly btw.

but wtf, i'm ordering ipod when i get mi next paycheck, thanks for the input

ATB

TP

yes, i really think itunes is bad looking!

and now i have 2(!) processes running on my computer, just because i installed itunes.

ipodservice.exe and ituneshelper.exe

all for no use.

must be another way of getting files to that ipod, i'll let you know

atb

tp

Bose and Apple ... the perfect marriage.

Essentially you can output your MP3 player to any amplifier/speaker combination to play music out loud.

You could hook it up to something like this, from JBL (better than Bose):

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.asp?ProdId=CREATUREII&SerId=HMM&sCatId=

Or this from Harmon Kardon:

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_deta...TICKSII&sType=C

Both sound pretty damn good considering their size, and all you have to do is run a line out from your MP3 player (iPod, iRiver, Sony, Creative .. whatever) to it and you're done. Obviously if you compress your music too much it won't sound as good, but a 192kbit/44100Hz file would sound just like a CD I'd say.

voidhawk, does iTunes/pod support 192k files? Maybe it would if they were interleaved stereo files, but I'm not sure you can make interleaved stereo files at that bitrate. I hope I'm wrong. I'd just be happy playing back 24 bit 44.1k. Don't think you can make those interleaved stereo, either. I hope I'm wrong.

Sunrise: not an iTunes user myself - it's far too limited in my opinion. I do know, however, that iTunes "... lets you convert your music to MP3s at high bit-rate for no additional charge." (from iTunes page on Apple site) It doesn't mention the exact bitrate, only that it's 'high'. As for 'no additional charge...' - I have no idea what that means. Everything you do on your computer should be free, that's why I use stuff from http://sourceforge.net - but there's not much stuff for Mac users there.

34: So your HK's only form of input is a USB port? In which case you need something to convert an audio stream into USB? I found this which maybe fits the description. In any case, I'm sure such a cable/conversion would exist, and you would be able to play songs from your iPod through the HK's. (Griffin Technology have a similar item: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/index.php )

Yep, I could do it.... but dont really need to. My HK's are attached to my computer, which has iTunes on it, which is a mirror of my iPod.

But, if I were going on holidays (driving there) then yes, I could easily chuck them in my car, take them to the hotel room and plug them it top the mains.