• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question. Just got myself one of those iPods that you can load photos onto. As a windows user I wonder how I am best to load the photos onto it. According to the Japanese manual it says that I need some Adobe product ... They only have a starter available to download free on-line and I am not going to be buying software. Does anyone have any hints? I thought you would just be able to load the photos on from "My Pictures" or something.

Well Veronica and those interested, here's my thoughts on my Rio, particularly compared to an iShuffle.

Apparently, my friend's iShuffle has "David Hasslehoff sex appeal", whereas my Rio is more likened to Conan the Barbarian (interpret all that as you wish).

The basic rundown is this:

Size: Conan is shorter but slightly fatter.

Weight: Conan weighs a couple of grams more, but it's still next to nothing.

Battery: Conan lasts for 27 hours, Hasslehoff for much less

Functionality: Hasslehoff is designed only to look pretty and do almost nothing (play, pause, shuffle). Conan does all this plus FM radio, record (internal mic plus socket for external one), read text files (yep, it's got a display), play silly games, and can even be used as a tv remote

Reliability: So far, I've had one "button screwup" which I fixed with a small screwdriver, and it froze once, needing to reinstall the drivers.

Basically, I think my Rio is better than an iShuffle, but some of that may be due to the fact that I didn't pay for it \:\)

~Sven.

• 3 weeks later...

My ipod is having some problems at the moment.

I can listen to music no problems, but when the drive is being accessed it makes a loud noise for a few seconds.... and does that when I'm uploading songs as well (which takes about 10 times longer than it did before).

I suppose that all means the drive is on it's last legs and I'll have a dead ipod fairly soon, hey?

• 2 weeks later...

I see there are many happy ipod owners out there!!

I am glad I bought a Rio carbon, it has been trouble free,it also has a 20hour battery life and great sound!!

Quote:
When the music stops, iPod owners sing a different tune

By Hannah Edwards

August 28, 2005

The Sun-Herald

It has become a must-have accessory for thousands of Australians, but all is not well for Apple's iPod.

The Australian Consumers Association (ACA) is getting an increasing number of complaints from owners of the portable music players, with problems ranging from cracked screens to poor sound reproduction.

Many more owners are venting their anger on the online forums dedicated to iPods and their accessories.

Skipping songs, random pauses and newly charged batteries that run down in minutes are just some of the complaints being reported by purchasers of the iPod, which is an MP3 player.

There are also complaints that the device's body overheats after only minutes of use and, in some extreme cases, devices worn by joggers have malfunctioned through sweat seeping into the device.

The iPod stores thousands of songs in a compact package, its price ranging from $149 to $598 depending on its storage capacity and features.

The top-selling player's popularity continues to snowball. Apple's figures show there was a 616 per cent increase in global sales in the past 12 months.

The ultra-cool white ear buds and cords have become a status symbol and a new language inspired by the popularity of the machines has emerged, with words such as "podcast" now common.

Apple's media spokesman Rob Small calls the enormous range of lifestyle products associated with the brand the "iPod ecosystem".

Its popularity has even spawned an unofficial line of iPod baby clothing that uses the catchline "the only thing cuter than a baby is an iPodified baby".

While many owners remain enthusiastic about the convenience of the music player - which, in its smallest form, is as tiny as a cigarette lighter - that hasn't stemmed the tide of complaints.

ACA spokeswoman Georgina Swan said there had been a marked increase in the number of complaints about iPods in the past six months.

Mr Small said iPods were not suitable to being "thrown around" and that some problems may have been caused by their owners mistreating the devices.

Surprised to hear that (aside from battery complaints, which are well known).

My own 3G is doing just fine 2 years later. Battery life is shorter than it was, which is to be expected after 2 years of lots of use, but no other probs apart from that. When the battery gets to a point that it bothers me I'll buy a replacement.

It's good that the probs are getting good publicity in Oz, it's not cool to sell products that aren't durable.

Whats the plan for the next ipod? A friend is wanting to buy but wants to know when the next version will be out so he can decide whether he wants that or not and whether to wait until then.

I'm with you sunrise. Mine is going on 2 and is kickin along fine.

Battery hasnt been a problem for me (only when I am in the car with the iTrip connected, but thats expected). The only time I wish the battery lasted longer is when I am on long flights and thats only once a year!

Electronics are sometimes like a lottery, get a good one or a bad one!

My brother & I bought identical video cameras from Pana and his was faulty from day one. It's up to the dope smoking factory employee that made the product eek.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by ex-boyfriend:
My ipod is having some problems at the moment.

I can listen to music no problems, but when the drive is being accessed it makes a loud noise for a few seconds.... and does that when I'm uploading songs as well (which takes about 10 times longer than it did before).

I suppose that all means the drive is on it's last legs and I'll have a dead ipod fairly soon, hey?
My ipod died this morning at approximately 10:30am.

\:\( \:\(

So I am starting to think about what to replace it with........