• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use mine a lot (would you guess??!) and my battery seems to be holding up just fine! clap.gif I still seem to be able to get between 6-7 hours out of it (not much less than what I got right at the beginning).

Is deleting/removing songs a pain in the @ss? Im really thinking about getting something smaller and lighter like the Iriver, Rio. For a long time I had been thinking about getting something with like 40gigs, but just dont like the bulk and size of those players - and it would take me 5 years to listen to everysong at least once too. I keep asking myself is it worth it??

Im thinking a 5gig would be plenty and just take off and add songs as needed. One of those 256MBs wouldnt be worth it I dont think but then again, a 40gig might not be either for me.

For those of you who have a smaller size player do you find adding and removing songs is a huge hassle? Surely you can create a file of all the songs you would like to listen to and just transfer it over right?

I basically have never deleted anything and once they are on my pod they stay there (good thing about having 40GB!), but uploading them sure is easy using iTunes. Changing and deleting mistakes is also real easy....

Yama - iPods are great and easy - but you mentioned awhile back that you'd like to be able to record, if so you can forget the iPod! (unless you like 8 bit mono). If you don't need recording then the iPod's the way to go as far as I'm concerned, though others (hi Danz!) will beg to differ because they prefer to use other file formats besides WAV, AIF, mp3, AAC and Apple's Lossless format, plus of course they are correct in saying that battery life is frequently better in other players. But for ease of use and simplicity, and of course cool interface, etc, nothing beats the iPod. The minis would be pretty light if you only want something small.

If you can hang in there the rumor sites are reporting that Apple will release a flash based iPod in the next few months, though of course we don't know if that will actually happen.

I'm now looking around for something will record. My MD's dying and I hate the damn thing anyway. The iRiver h140 (and the h120, which isn't available in J-land) seem to be among the few that will do 16 bit stereo (WAV). I know two musicians using the 140 and say it's great. On the pro audio level Edirol's new R-1 (which also does 24 bit) also looks inviting, though probably for my current needs I'll probably be able to get by quite happily with the more more compact and cheaper iRiver.

(But I'm not planning on selling my iPod once I get my recorder).

For recording people I found another recording gizmo - around same size as an iPod, but also does video and downloads digicam photos. Archos Gmini 400. Looks very cool.

Unfortunately, you can't adjust the recording level in record mode (only in rec/pause). If that doesn't bother you and you have a digicam and want a tiny portable vid player this could be for you.

I don't care about vids myself, but the camera thing looks sweet.

I also found out that the iRiver doesn't have any recording levels so it's touch and go what you get without testing, and apparently skips samples when recording WAV files every time the hard drive buffers.

I'm now tossing up between the Archos and the Edirol. The Edirol should be able to adjust recording levels. Probably better if I want to make sure I'm getting a decent sound. Wish it was a tad smaller (it's a little bigger than ipod, etc). But ability to download photos on a smaller unit is also nice. Hmmmm.....

Yeh, I know this is an ipod thread, right?

Creative apparently "declares war" on Apple....

These could turn out to be some very famous last words, but at a press conference earlier today Sim Wong Hoo, the CEO of Creative (the company that makes all those Zen MP3 players like the Zen Touch and the Zen Micro) literally declared war on Apple, announcing plans to try to out-spend and out-market Steve Jobs next year with a $100 million advertising and marketing designed to dethrone the iPod, and that “the MP3 war has started”. Might be tough, given that over 90% of new hard drive-based players sold in the US sport an Apple logo.

Thanks Danz,

Couldn't find the recording info, I'll have to download the manual when I've got more time.

Turns out the Archos Gmini 400 only has line in, not mic in. It does have built in mike, but I want mic in for recording gigs and i'm not sure I want to drag a preamp around with me.

The edirol still looks good, but compact flash prices for 2gig will set it back to being a lot more pricey than first thought (retails for around 37,000 yen, but I'd need to get the 2 gig chip for it to be usable).

the rumor sites are still coming up with a Flash iPod due to be announced in within the next 2 months. This has also been taken up with someone at Merryl Lynch who announced it yet again. If only it would record!

Found a good quote about the ipod:

"I just don’t get the overwhelming appeal of the iPod, Apple’s MP3 player. It’s a beautiful device to be sure, but it does exactly what many, many other similar players do: It plays MP3s. Other brands are better, less expensive, have more capacity, are easier to use, and so on. But the iPod has something more than 85% market share. That’s incredible - that’s like finding that 85% of people in the country drive Toyota Camrys. It just doesn’t make sense."