My iTrip performed at about the same level as a not quite perfect radio reception. It was ok. I was in a rental car so the speakers were factory and not so good, but I have never given half a toss about my car stero anyway. Cars go from A to B and it is nice to have the music that you like in them.... that is about as far as my interest in cars goes.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pod mania!

Veronica - didn't see anyone answer your question about randomization. In settings select Shuffle -> Songs. Then go into browse and just select Browse -> Artists -> All - > All. That will randomize the whole list. Makes for a winde range of variety on my 6000 song 3Pod.

3Pod. Good one. \:\)

It is only a matter of time before cafes start providing iPod recharging points. Let it charge for 2 hours and buy 4 coffees, two cakes and a salad.

This of course only applies to countries with a cafe culture. Japan will have recharge points in every sento.

I tell you man, that is not a bad idea. Something to get noticed in the ultra competitive cafe scence back home. Add a special dog menu for the pampered pooch and you have the trifecta. Yupster heaven ;\)

Yes, you do have to get the reception right... it takes some fiddling. It is not the perfect solution but it has so much potential. For example, I rocked into a shag pile carpet road side motel (like in American movies) when on holidays in Australia recently. Within 5 minutes I had my choice of thousands of songs playing through the bedside radio alarm clock. Shit sound quality, but I was rockin none the less.

Have you started to play with Smart Playlists in iTunes? Have you noticed that if you play a song and rate it on the vPod that when you plug it into your PC it will update iTunes to show that song as being played last at a certain date and will also update the rating. Even better, smart playlist content is driven both at the iTunes and iPod level. Play around with them and you will see how they dynamically interact and update. The interactability (new word?) between iTunes and the iPod is cool.

nd also, be careful plugging the vPod into another computer. And be very careful when plugging your vPod into a new computer with no music on it at all (empty iTunes). Unless you do it right, iTunes will delete everything on your iPod.

I got an iTrip for my Oz trip, but didn't need it - my rental car still had a cassette deck, so I plugged it into the cassette thingy I have that lets me listen to iPod/CD/MD/etc thru the car stereo. Your talk about bad reception has me a bit dubious. I hope they bring out a better model by the time Bayswater upgrades all their cars to CD decks... I'll probably take the iTrip back to Bic for a refund since I never even opened it....

yeah it's better to have the auto-sync turned off so you don't accidently lose music like db mentioned. dont really understand the need seeing as you can arrange your music by date and add all the new songs from itunes to the pod with two clicks.

btw, am i the only one who calls my pod iNekobi rather than NekobiPod?

I'm on the lookout for a case for my ipod. Some seem real skanky, others nice but about 6000 yen which seems way over. Anyone got a nice one they can recommend. I want one where I can fiddle about with volume and the other buttons without having to haul it out of the case.

Cheers

Auto synch allows your smart playlists to be updated in both directions. It also allows for info such as 'last played', 'play count', 'rating' etc to be updated. Manual synch can do this but you will have to spend a lot of time isolating the songs with updated data (such as rating). A lot more info is exchanged between iPod and itunes than simply new songs. Also, what if you delete a heap of crap from iTunes and want it removed from iPod? Without auto synch you would have to do the filter and delete process on two separate drives.

I agree that auto synch can create some risks, but if managed properly it enables you to fully take advantage of the interactive qualities of iTunes and iPod.

oh... i didnt know about all the other features of auto sync. i don't use it bc i got hundreds of songs off my mates computer that arent on my itunes so i dont wanna lose them. anyone know of a simple way to rip from ipod to itunes? i think i heard something using simple text...

Nek,

here is the one I used http://www.crispsofties.com/

The demo version will not copy 100% of your files to iTunes, so I paid for mine.... cheap and about time I actually paid for something. Carefully read the 'read me' text. You will learn all about the dangers of auto synch and how to manage those risks.

Also check out ipodlound.com and the mother company forum apple

Answer.

it uses up the iPod battery which means it will go flat as the only reason you plug it into the car ciggy lighter is so that the iPod can check the oil temperature and clean your windscreen whilst you drive.

Are you V's sister?

Because I have a childish muppet like bad temper and a grumpy and harmless dislike for many things, rational or otherwise.

By pure chance I was last night wearing an old grover tshirt of mine (it used to be my nickname).