what's everybody listening to now?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

geeze, and I missed that. I made a huge mistake. Them niggas know their stuffing.

At this point, having got my thieving hands on some Johnny Cash tracks, I have to ask, why does anybody care? My grandma had some really cheesy 'Westin' records that she used to put on when I was a kid, and Johnny Cash sounds just like them...

artist: Amorphous Androgynous (Future Sound of London's alter-ego)

Album: Tales of Ephidrina

Genre: Electronica/Trip-hop/Ambient - bits of all that.

this was one of my favourite CDs after a long nights raving, around 10 years ago (geez thats a long time!)

their web site is looking very groovy these days, & i hear that have new material out.

http://www.futuresoundoflondon.com/fsol/fsol.html

I haven't been posting for about a month but everytime i come back, this thread is always here :p I feel special now ;\)

funny, my musical taste has done a full 180 and I've gotten back into trance in a big way. might be discovering shoutcast and it's ten gazillion trance radio stations had something to do with it. I put it on in the background and play video games - great way to zone out for a few hours \:D

ender&co: tell me more about The Get Up Kids. I've heard their cover of The Cure's Close to Me and thought it was pretty good. I remember there was another punk band that did a cover of New order's regret that was pretty cool, altho a little too similar sounding. anybody know the name of that one?

The Darkness - absolute crack up even though they are semi-serious. Think more talented spinal tap and you sort of have the picture. Catchy riff-laden songs and high pitched vocals. The best things is they don't take themselves too seriously. I am so sick of cheezy shoe-gazing angst filled poser pretty boys. Looking forward to The Darkness concert at Zepp Tokyo tuesday night, come along, rock out and laugh. (I need a headbanging mullet smiley right here).

Just pulled out my Primus collection for a listen..I'm still amazed by Les Claypools bass antics back in the late '80s. Songs like Tommy the Cat, Jerry was a Race Car driver, Harold of the Rocks make me wonder what music could have been like if more music was bass oriented rather than guitar.

Haven't heard electric six so I don't know sorry.

Check out The Darkness website and the new video at;

www.thedarknessrock.com

Neversummer, I like the way you think. I have played bass for 15 years and when I tried learning 'race car driver' with Tab I gave up in frustration. I could play the basics but not the flair of Les. He is the man.

wow, i have just read all 7 pages, i know less than 1% of the names, i must be getting old or very isolated here in Shizuoka or both?

Anyone into jazz? I like a lot of different music, but be bop jazz is the thing for me.

For starters i recommend:

Miles Davis Kind Of Blue

Other great artists

John Coltrane

Wayne Shorter

Thelonious Monk

Charles Mingus

Stan Getz

Lee Konitz

the list is long..

Right now i am listening to The Moody Blues though

Last week i listened to Brian Eno's 4 rock albums

here comes the warm jets

another green world

before and after science

taking tiger mountain

(So great, Ocean, if you liked your Laurie Anderson tape, u will love Eno)

Last, but not least, George Clinton and Parliament funkadelic, and good old Johnny "Guitar" Watson, whose song "It's a real mother for ya" i play when i am getting close to the snow resort

atb

Thunder

I didn't read any of this thread because my time is so precious \:\)

Right this second, I'm listening to Grasshopper Takeover (GTO) out of Omaha, Nebraska. I love this band.

Besides that - 311 is always in (Evolver, et all), Zebrahead, Alkiline Trio, Less than Jake, Ethan, and some old punk like Pennywise, old NoFx, The Clash, some Ramones, etc...

It's funny, these are all bands I grew up with and I still listen. They keep putting new stuff out and I buy it and I love it. They are the same age as me (28-32) so I can kind of relate. I think I'll always listen to them. Can you imagine a 60-70 year old guy rocking out to 311 though? My grandpa is into Miles Davis (whom I like also). Product of your environment? I don't know, but I sound like an old fugger when I talk abou the 'new' music of today...

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboard_freak:
I have been watching a fair few snowboarding DVD's recently so I've started downloading some of the songs from those. A couple from The Juliana Theory. I really like what I've heard from them so far.
the juliana theory are really good.
i really like the song "to the tune of 5000 screaming children"