what's everybody listening to now?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

geeze, and I missed that. I made a huge mistake. Them niggas know their stuffing.

Is that a Metallica parody band?!

My Japanese friend has the new Travis album - yawn.

I quite like the Linkin Park one though.

Have you seen that big tattoo he has on his back now. His name in huge letters. Good if you forget your name I suppose, or have an accident. Perhaps that is why he did it, can't think of another reason.

Almost giving up on finding new stuff so have been trawling through some older discs. High Octane Cult is what I'm listening to now.

does anyone on here like bjork? i like one or two or her songs, but overall she doesn't really do anything for me.

she's got a new album out and the music press are doing their usual fawning, and i just don't really get it. a whole lot of weird vocal arrangements that are pretty much unlistenable and entirely forgetable for me.

i guess music journos have to fill their pages somehow. it just seems that every few weeks "the best album of the year/decade" or "the most important album in whatever genre" comes out.

pfffft. don't believe the hype.

Originally Posted By: spook
does anyone on here like bjork? i like one or two or her songs, but overall she doesn't really do anything for me.
she's got a new album out and the music press are doing their usual fawning, and i just don't really get it. a whole lot of weird vocal arrangements that are pretty much unlistenable and entirely forgetable for me.

Let's face it, being a Bjork fan is just not 'cool' if you're a bloke. But --whatever --I think her music is a hell of a lot more interesting than most pop ....or pop that's thinly disguised as being alternative or innovative these days. She's a pretty weird chick so thumbsup.gif to Bjork.

that's cool ger. like i said she's got a couple of songs that i really dig.

this thread is too nice. everyone just seems to post what music they listen to with no follow up discussion. i'm gonna start slanging. maroon 5 are pap. there, i said it.

I gotta admit, it always makes me laugh when people apply their own tastes in music to other's in terms of what is cool or pathetic. Isn't music (whether pathetic pop ;\) or not) simply about what people get enjoyment out of? OK, you could go down the old "real artists" or "artist integrity" line, but I say bollocks to that! If people enjoy music, no matter how main stream or artistically bankrupt the artist is, then great. Even if I can't stand it. Spook, this isn't aimed at you, you just sparked my comment \:\) I have some mates who are what I call music snobs. I tend to agree with most of their tastes in music, but the way they look down on people who have no idea of the so-called "cool" and "alternative" bands that they like, really gives me the shits. It's all personal.

OK. You asked for it, and here it is in no particular order. It helps if you like blues..

Etta James

Dee Dee Warwick

Guitar Slim The things I used to do, The story of my life

Pinetop Perkins

Koko Taylor

Albert Collins Something to remember me by

Jonnie Johnson

Screamin Jay Hawkins

Willie Dixon

Rosco Gordon No more doggin'

Lowell Fulson

Johnny Otis Low down dirty dog blues

Percy Mayfield

Big Joe Williams

Roy Milton RM Blues

Otis Rush I miss loving

Esther Phillips

Freddie King(?)

Mississippi Fred McDowell You gotta move

Deja Blues All your lovin

Johnny Guitar Watson Don't touch me

BP, that’s bollocks, if we all agree about music, then there’d just be 1 CD and everybody in the world would be listening to it.

Simply because we like something or hate something that is different to other people creates an endless market for artists to create and flourish.

Most suck anyway.

Soubs, I suppose you like Erasure and Backstreet Boys too ;\)

I agree with Bushpig. I think you should re-read thursday.... his point was people being snobs about what is cool, not people having different tastes. Unless you were just being sarky.

Originally Posted By: brit-gob
Soubs, I suppose you like Erasure and Backstreet Boys too ;\)

lol.gif I'm sure I've heard them, but buggered if I could name a tune.

I'm fairly catholic with music, but I don't listen to pop.

I'm serious about that list. They are all "lesser known" but top class performers. We live in a wonderful age where the back catalogues are accessible.

Hendrix used to put on his guitar when he got up, and took it off when he went to bed. He was a blues fan. Me too.