what's everybody listening to now?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

geeze, and I missed that. I made a huge mistake. Them niggas know their stuffing.

Morrissey Live at Earls Court. Really good recording.

I didn't like his latest studio album as much as the one before which was really good.

Quote:
Originally posted by Goemon:
Oyuki: Try Desmond Dekker, early Wailers, Skatalites, Byron Lee or anything early Trojan or Studio One label.
And while you're at it, you might enjoy Skanky Panky by Kid Koala. Thanks to Goemon for turning me on to 'the Kid'.

O11: you might also want to check out some of the new Cut Chemist album, "Listen to the Audience"; you might not like some of the hip hop tracks, but I think you'd really like the more Thievery Corporation/K&D-ish tracks on there.

I'm listening to a Guns n'Roses bootleg of their new stuff.

Whenever it's done

Tracklist

01 Better 04:59

02 Irs 04:07

03 There Was A Time 06:35

04 Catcher in the Rye 05:40

05 Chinese Democracy 03:12

06 The Blues 04:43

07 Madagascar 05:34

08 Rhiad and the Bedouins 03:37

09 Oh My God 03:40

10 Silkworms 03:28

the quality's not so good but the songs have real potential thumbsup.gif

heard that Sting has just released a new album and is trying a revival of the Elizabethan Lute!!! Apparently smashed into 24 of the classical chart, and 30 something in the pops chart!! That`s what Yoga does for you!

That Sting album sounds really good.

Heard the Who have something new out. Wouldn't mind giving that a listen to see what they come up with. Lets hope its better than those other dinosaur Stones.

Velvet Underground and Zappa --great music. Zappa wrote volumes and volumes of strange and good music. Are you into that stuff O11?

At the moment I've got gerling playing again in my car. (No relation to my name btw.)

I think Soub's brief mention of the Velvet Underground's first album ("The velvet underground and Nico") needs a little expansion. It's brilliant. It was recorded in a couple of days in New York and released in early '67. It's generally dark and grungy with poorly tuned instruments, screaching guitar feedback at times, and a heavy heroin influence. A perfect 'alternative' album. Some tracks sound excessively sweet but are dripping with sarcasm and dark undertones, with poorly tuned instruments.

OK. You're probably thinking "Wow. That sounds like a terrible album! What the hell is ger talking about?!" But I'd say it stands out as one of the most unique, gritty and influential albums ever made. Another famous musician said it only sold -like 10 000 copies initially but each of those 10 000 people went out and started a band. I just finished listening to it now. I've got to put on something a little less dark next! cool.gif

(The 'delux' version has got a bunch of extra songs with Nico but I don't think they're necessary and they seem to water-down the overall impact and tone of the album. I don't know their later albums as well but I think they were hit-and-miss, depending on how much drugs they were doing at the time and also depending on Andy Warhol's mood --he was a big influence and he actually produced a lot of their stuff.)