what's everybody listening to now?

Last season I shamefully did a lot of driving (in a small 1.2L car) and listened to music quite often. I listened almost exclusively to the following bands. I like eating that kind of musical meat but need a little variety from lamb to beef. Any suggestions; if I like this, what else would I like? I have worn these cd's out and need something new. It doesn't have to be some obscure or cool band, I don't care if they are commercial and forgotten by the musical elitists.

- Pantera,

- Tool,

- Radio Birdman,

- Cog,

- Perfect Circle,

- Killswitch (only a little)

Some of them are run of the mill for heavy music, some are less well known.

I am asking here as I don't read music forums, chat rooms or websites, nor use p2p where I see what other people are listening too. Nor do I listen to the radio... I basically don't follow music at all, I live in a bubble and want to know what's outside it that I might like. I am sure there is heaps and I am missing out.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

geeze, and I missed that. I made a huge mistake. Them niggas know their stuffing.

I don't listen to a lot of new metal these days but I used to listen to stuff like Metallica and Black Sabbath among other stuff in the 1980's. The new stuff like you mentioned is really well produced. Other people could probably make better recommendations than I could regarding new stuff.

Old stuff... check out Led Zeppelin. New bands like Perfect Circle and Tool do a lot Led Zeppelin covers. They're FAR more than a rock band. LZ laid the foundation for all kinds of so called 'alternative' bands in the 1970s and actually they really don't sound that 'dated' even. Led Zeppelin 4 is absolutely one of my favourite albums. If you like that, get Houses of the Holy, then Physical Graffiti.

New stuff... I really like this Aussy band called Gerling. They play several genres. 'Bad Blood' is a fairly heavy album blending punk and techno. Not sure if it's what you're looking for. I like Red Hot Chili Peppers 'One Hot Minute' album too. It's NOT like other Chili Peppers albums and I think a lot of real Chili Peppers fans might not like it. Their guitarist was dealing with Heroin addiction so they got Dave Navaro from Jane's Addiction who likes to play modern hard rock guitar with lots of distortion, tasteful feedback tricks and so on. Good heavy album with a couple of softer radio-friendly songs too. Their old guitarist --Fusciatti- or something like that --came back after that and they stopped playing material from the album and have become less exciting in my opinion. (Actually I guess Chili peppers can't really be considered new anymore though!!!)

I dont know what O11 listens to but I imagine he can recommend some good 'DEATH METAL'!

Mate, nice one. I listen to Zep in my house pretty much every week, and not a whole lot more to be honest. Lived on a diet of them at uni in the early 90's. Then returned to them 3 years ago. No Quarter is and probably always will be my favourite song, although, that's a big call. Perhaps I just like it a lot.

Mars Volta are fantatsic for me, but I don't feel like them before/after snowboarding.

I'll check out Gerling. Same for chilli peppers. I gave them up ages ago as to funky for me.

Where is that confounded bridge.

Why don't you try the Pandora site ? Just plug in what you like and it will suggest other music for you to sample.

For example, plug in "Led Zeppelin" and it will play "What is and What Should Never Be".

It will then suggest "Sweet Leaf" by Black Sabbath as something similar.

And on and on like that.

You can fine tune it if you like a particular song or a different artist.

Pandora can be quite annoying I find - I'm really ambivalent about it. Sometimes it veers off very quickly into altogether unrelated terrority as if its categorizing engine has a mouse turd caught in it. It also tends to throw in a 'white noise shite' track with predictable regularity.

And sometimes with these 'radio' type things where I haven't actually selected the music to play, I often end up thinking "It might be good to listen to some music now", and then realize with a slight start that I am already, in fact, subject to musical stimulation, but it isn't working.

I was using metaphor \:\)

Pigs get a bad rap. They are fastidious animals. Given enough space will dung away from their living and feeding areas, unlike cattle and sheep. They wallow in mud, I believe, to rid themselves of parasites. It also helps keep their skin young and wrinkle free, just like me lol.gif

Its a nice idea but I rather fing hate that Pandora GUI interface! The grey box is small and pokey and the info box at the bottom... I cant get it to re-appear, although I don't think I want it to after it annoyingly popped up and down blocking the view of something I was reading. And I don't want to listen to a bunch of songs first, I want to be given a list of recommendations, and THEN listen to the songs/artists that I choose from that list. I don't like the interface at all, Pandora thinks it can drive for me and doesn't even let me navigate.

What are the messages? I don't see/hear any, but maybe Blues and Jazz are the wrong demographic.

Spud. You wanted the names named. Here is some of the stuff I've been listening to for the past 40 years.

Blues. Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Fleetwood Mac, Yardbirds, Eric Clapton, BB King, Hendrix, Tom Waits.

R&B. Stones, Van Morrison, Animals, Ray Charles, Booker T.

Female Vocalist/Jazz/Blues. Dinah Washington, Sarah Vaughan, Nina Simone, Dusty Springfield, Aretha Franklin, Billie Holiday.

Jazz. Oscar Petersen, Dexter Gordon, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Ben Webster.

Popular/other. Velvet Underground, Roxy Music, Doors, REM, Canned Heat, Eurythmics, Leonard Cohen, Sam Cooke, Talking Heads.

That's a fraction of my collection. What I've just listed is the modern stuff.

Have we got any discussion on Pink Floyd in this thread? Just listening to 'Wish You Were Here', I'm still undecided on what the lyrics are supposed to mean, it's such a great song. They are absolutely timeless \:\) .

The problem with The Killers is that Flowers bloke just can't sing. I actually like some of their songs but they'd be better if the singer could sing half decent.

Quote:
Originally posted by OUfreeski2:
Rob Zombie is good music to listen to on the way to the mountain.

Got my hands on Swollen Members latest "Black Magic" solid album
Will hafta look for SMs new one then thumbsup.gif

Been listening to tons of music that Ewok got from Eskimobumcramp - really like Fly My Pretties (spelling?)