what's everybody listening to now?

there's a film out soon calld distortion of sound, about how compressed mp3sand the loudness wars have really spoilt lots of music recently.

Looking forward to seeing that.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

geeze, and I missed that. I made a huge mistake. Them niggas know their stuffing.

Since we don't have them in Japan, I don't know about streaming services like Spotify and their sound quality, but I suspect it's going to be crippled for DRM reasons. To stop people recording it and getting a perfect copy that the music industry still wants people to pay for. It won't be for "convenience" and it certainly won't be consumer driven. The video and audio file formats supported by Ipods weren't chosen by consumers.

When I was young, everyone got into the Smiths because John Peel and Janice Long played them in mono on AM radio, which is way worse than mp3s. Radio 1 only started on FM in 1988. Everyone had a record player, but most of them were shit to be honest, made by such audio behemoths as Amstrad and Binatone. So the average person listening to music on poor equipment is nothing new at all.

I thought the problem with music today was to do with "loudness", producers making tracks sound louder so that they stand out. That's the music industry's doing, not Itunes or Amazon's or Spotify's. I also think that a lot of genres have simply run out of ideas, in the same way as jazz or country and western did many years ago.

Good points, Mr Wiggles. But still.

Loudness is part of the problem yes and robs people who even have the decent equipment from hearing what they should be. :grandpa:

New Linkin Park album. Much heavier and rawer than their last few.

:party:

I'd like to hear that as I love listening to them when working out. Might give it a go at work today, but may end up not getting much done and just bounce off the walls all day.

It's also arrogant of musicians to suggest that potential fans don't get their music just because of low-quality file formats. Most of the time its going to be because they don't like the music.

There's a bit in the film where they suggest four times the number of people will bob their head to a piece of music if they hear it in high quality. Its about 15 minutes in.

What's wrong with that?

I love hearing music in fantastic quality - the music I love sounds much better (to me) on my system at home than on poor quality pc speakers. I can hear all the clear details, everything that's going on........

So does music I don't like - still don't like it, but can appreicate the sonic quality. :)

I'm trying to think if there's much music I became to like after hearing it properly. I bet there is. Need to check!

Here's one - Kraftwerk. Never took any notice even though lots of the music I liked referenced them.

I remember hearing The Mix on a brilliant system though and it sounded amazing.

:thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Heard this in a bar back in England over summer loud and it really sounded good.

Even without being able to see Halls' fab hair, Oates' mustachetastic tache, wonderful clothes, lovely dancing and Oates' cheeky 'acting'.

Can say a lot of things about the 80's music, but short on melody isn't one of them.

• 1 month later...

I have been listening to the new jazz album cheek to cheek by Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga.

It is really good although I am not a jazz fan I am really getting into it especially with Gaga singing together as well as solo on the album.

For any jazz fans out there you should give it a listen and see what you think.

• 1 month later...

The classic Songs From the Big Chair by Tears For Fears - and 8 song album - is being released as a 6 disc box set.

:lol:

Great album, but 6 discs!! (Admiteddly one is Blu-Ray audio and another is a video DVD).