what's everybody listening to now?

Nice analysis ger. You could think of Velvet Underground as punk 10 years before its time, and much better than anything that followed.

It's interesting to reflect on what 1960s music I bought contemporaneously, and still listen to now. It's a short list, and includes Velvet Underground, Yardbirds, Stones, Animals and Fleetwood Mac.

And while we are in the 1960s, I recently picked up an Aretha Franklin compilation. I'm ambivalent about much of her material because I can't stand gospel music. This one is brilliant. A combination of great material, vocal virtuosity, backed by the Atlantic rhythm section and some wonderful arrangements. I don't normally play music in the car, but I'm rinsing the car stereo with this one.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

geeze, and I missed that. I made a huge mistake. Them niggas know their stuffing.

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
Frank Zappa??
Slow, don't be offended. This is Zappa (or one of his songs)

I am unfairly taking this line from a Zappa song that was overworked due to its notoriety: "I can spend about an hour on the tower of power so long as I gets a little golden shower, Oh God I am the American dream, With a spindle up my butt till it makes me scream".

The lryics from this famous song may offend.
http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Frank-Zappa/Bobby-Brown.html

Most of his songs where quite good, but as young guys in the last 80's we only listened to his stuff due to the retro-cool aspect and not because we knew anything about him as a musician.

ger, I never saw much appeal in Zappa - zany/fun music annoys me more than it appeals (although I've always liked Ian Dury who definitely fits in that box). I should give Zappa another try.

I listened to the Velvets a lot, and once had a couple of John Cale albums (damn, where are they anyway? "She's Back From Amsterdam" is a really moving song.) Nico was basically talentless but fell in with a good band. My roommate at college told me about going to a Nico gig in Germany and having a horrible evening fully in keeping with a night of Nico. He experienced a collapsed lung and expected to die - he had no idea what the hell was happening to him so he just lay on the floor in his black clothes and stared at people's feet in agony until the concert was over and he was carted off to hospital.

BTW, I'd take Mark Knopfler over Eric Clapton's masturbatory style any day.

Clapton is the most over-rated guitarist in hisory. He had stopped making interesting music by the mid 1970's. I wouldn't even say his style is 'masturbatory'. I think it's just lame. He was sporadic in the 70's from drugs and woman problems. Things got a lot worse when he sold his soul and became a born-again Christian. I admit that I have bought a few of his albums over the years and sometime they're OK but for the most part he just recycles the same predictable solos over and over. Actually though, my friend who is of the same opinion saw him on TV and said that he suddenly came out with a few really tasteful and original lines. Clapton had a shocked look on his face as if he was thinking 'Wow! Where the [censored] did that come from?' I guess it was a flashback. Interestingly he has played and toured a lot with Knopfler, which is a good combination. Knopfler often does SO much with SO little and Clapton is the oposite.

As for Zappa, I think he's a strange guy. Sometimes he's just zany, but he's also starkly critical. As ridiculous as his music sounds sometimes, he took it really seriously. He always got TOP musicians and he was REALLY demanding of them. He also made a HUGE amount of music, a lot of which is not very easy to listen to.

(I try to tone it down, but I'm really opinionated about music. ;\) )

skanky-panky is a great song. And thanks for the other bands too, Goemon.

And i forget who said it, but `skinhead reggae` is not a contradiction. The original skinheads were from Jamacia. How it got turned into a white-supremist thing goes to show you the intelligence of a crowd that copies a movement started by the people they hate.

It would be like having white-supremist hip-hop (which, not suprisingly, i have heard of).

Oh, that and i am listening to some This Bike is a Pipe Bomb and Sleater-Kinney right now.

Geez Ger, take a chill man ;\)

I am still searching for some mainstream heavy rock for this season. So far I only have ASG in my sights.

I also want some guitar and singing semi-hippy pot smoking music (I must sound so ignorantly offensive). Not stuff like Jack Johnson, he gets right up my nose that guy.

Hippy music?

i've got 2 good suggestions for you:

try some old Moody Blues stuff. really great music. Folk singer Mason Jennings is good too.

I had to respond to your Jack Johnson post

I get nauseous just thinking about him.

> I also want some guitar and singing semi-hippy pot smoking music

Hard to beat Cat Stevens for that. Doing the Woodstock album and then following up on some of your favourite artists from the album is another good approach.

Also, Inoue Yosui has some memorable melodies and lyrics.

As for pot smoking music, I still cherish the memory of an evening in Manchester of sensi and Marquee Moon by Television. I thought I was in heaven.

"Reggae, hip hop, rap, country western.

I'd rather eat poo put bits of it in my ears and nose."

Are you sure you want to write off entire genres of music?

Classifying music by genre is convenient but I don't really understand it.

"I am after mainly an Acoustic guitar (but a big one, not a small guitar)"

You might be looking for Neil Young. I'd recommend 'Everybody Knows this is Nowhere', or 'After the Gold Rush'. 'Live Rust' is also really good. The first half is acoustic, the second half is grungy electric. Also try 'Highway 61 Revisited' by Bob Dylan. I'm really not much of a Dylan fan but that album is great --one of the best of the type that you seem to be looking for.

i've been listening to Ron Carter. In fact,I went to see him at the Blue Note in NYC. He plays jazz with what DB or OCean would proabably refer to as a really big guitar (normal peeps call it a bass). I think he's the world's best bass player. Quite relaxing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
i've been listening to Ron Carter. In fact,I went to see him at the Blue Note in NYC. He plays jazz with what DB or OCean would proabably refer to as a really big guitar (normal peeps call it a bass). I think he's the world's best bass player. Quite relaxing.
Hands down Victor Wooten of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones is da bass god.

google him kintaro and find some of their stuff. Ive got more live concerts than you got ukelele's ;\) Hes da man!! His bro, Futureman, is just as sick on his drum-guitar. Check em out cool.gif

Good call CB!!!!

BF&F is da shit!!!!

For anyone who wants more here's 192 complete shows in FLAC os SHN for ya, you can also stream em. All bow down to the audio archive.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=...20Flecktones%22

BTW CB, your never gonna guess what happened...

You know those shows that I told you I'd send you 9 mths. ago, and then said they'll be there FOR SURE next week (5mths. ago) and then said I promise they'll be in your mail box Fri. (3 wks. ago) Well they got sent out yesturday. Got some Tea Leaf Green for ya too, but I gotta transfer them as for they're on DAT.

Give me a couple days lol.gif I'm such a flake.

Anyways now playing: Medeski Martin and Wood 5/28/98 from the Boulder Theatre.