what's everybody listening to now?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

geeze, and I missed that. I made a huge mistake. Them niggas know their stuffing.

A japanese friend gave me some CDs last week - including Love Psychedicico, Dreams Come True, Utada Hikaru, B'z.

Some decent songs in there, but don't think I'll ever get into it.... I think I need to understand what they're on about!

> Dreams Come True, Utada Hikaru, B'z.

All really painful listening. That Doricum woman just goes up and down her rather extensive range sounding intensely unmusical. Utada drones and whines. B'z sing through their noses.

Those in the know listen to Puffy.

More like see than listen, but a Japanese friend of mine is a big Bowie fan and recently got a new dvd of the Serious Moonlight tour. Really funny - it's very cliched 80's stuff - hairstyles, cheese choreography, but still some decent songs. (Heroes sounds pretty awful though). I really should find out more about his back catalogue.

The Hacienda Classics, 3Cds put together by Hooky (from New Order) himself.

Originally conceived, founded and financed in 1980 by Factory Records and New Order through a deal steered by Rob Gretton, the manager of the by then disbanded Joy Division, The Haçienda first opened its doors on May 21st 1982 sporting a Factory Records catalogue number of Fac 51, a pioneering interior designed by architect Ben Kelly and featured Bernard Manning as the opening night act.

Not surprising then that all of these forces combined turning The Haçienda into where is widely recognised as the birthplace of Acid House and responsible for shaping the face of UK club culture as it has since been known.

Virgin EMI have teamed up with Peter Hook, bassist from New Order, who shared a founding hand in The Haçienda and was present before, during and after the truly mental times of 1982 and 1997 when the Hacienda finally closed it’s doors.

‘The Haçienda was built on blood, sweat and tears… I think it’s safe to say we made every mistake in the book, that said it was the most magical time and I wouldn’t change any of it’

- Peter Hook

Through a chain of events that no one could have imagined, the ex-boat showroom on Whitworth Street, Manchester that became The Haçienda and the scene it gave birth to, went on to have one of the biggest impacts on youth culture since the punk movement and is one that is still reverberating today. Through the combination of legendary nights such as Hot, Nude, Flesh and Temperance Club with DJ’s Mike Pickering, Graeme Park, Jon da Silva, Tom Wainwright and Dave Haslam, clubbing had changed from simply a night out to an intense experience.

It was the heady mixture of new music, new ideas, cutting edge design and even new designer drugs that pushed the venue into overdrive long before the days of Ministry Of Sound, Cream, Renaissance, Gatecrasher and Godskitchen had even thought about opening their doors and inspired DJ’s from Sasha to The Chemical Brothers to Laurent Garnier. The Haçienda shone like a beacon rewriting the rulebook of what a clubbing experience was all about and inspired hundreds of thousands.

‘There’s no doubt about it, The Haçienda inspired nearly every club that came after it. I’m talking about the Cream’s,the Gatecrashers, the Ministry’s before The Haçienda there was nothing. The Haçienda laid the blue prints for the UK’s modern club culture’

- Peter Hook

To mirror The Haçienda’s genre bending music policy as well as chart a selection of the tracks that created The Haçienda and became anthems for the foundations of UK, even global clubbing as we know it, ‘Hooky’ has compiled three CD’s of definitive Haçienda classics bringing together elements of rare groove, soul hip hop, hip house, house and indie-dance painting a true picture of the highest moments of The Haçienda.

‘I have so many special memories from those days, the way the DJ’s would select the tunes especially for the club, I remember Sasha’s first set, the atmosphere was electric and he played the best set of his life, the music was perfect as was the crowd, when we left you just knew you’d been a spectator of something very special indeed’

- Peter Hook

Highlights from the album cross the whole spectrum of electronic music that made The Haçienda what it was including New Order ‘Confusion’, Happy Mondays ‘Step On’, Orbital ‘Belfast’, Candi Staton ‘You Got The Love’, Doug Lazy ‘Let It Roll’, Inner City ‘Good Life’, Guy Called Gerald ‘Voodoo Ray’, FPI Project ‘Everybody’, Sub Sub ‘Space Face’, Stakker ‘Stakker Humanoid’, 808 State ‘Pacific’ and Jaydee ‘Plastic Dreams’ to name a few. Everyone who went to The Haçienda had a classic music moment. Hopefully this album goes some way to capturing most of them.

No other nightclub can claim to have spawned a movement and subsequently a movie - ‘Twenty Four Hour Party People’. The Haçienda became a way of life for the people involved in it’s creation and for the clubbers who religiously went to worship on the dancefloor. The Haçienda Classics album goes a long way to defining all of this spirit and sense of belonging that has stayed a part of UK youth culture ever since.

So push back the sofa, pop on a beanie hat even, definitely turn up The Haçienda Classics and prepare to become one of the twenty four hour party people once again.

Well, for a couple of hours anyway…

FULL TRACK LISTING **SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CD 1

1. K KLASS – RHYTHM IS A MYSTERY

2. STAKKER – STAKKER HUMANOID

3. TURNTABLE ORCHESTRA – YOU’RE GONNA MISS ME WHEN IM GONE

4. CHARLES B/ADONIS – LACK OF LOVE

5. LIL LOUIS – FRENCH KISS

6. SNAP – RHYTHM IS A DANCER

7. FARLEY JACKMASTER FUNK – LOVE CAN’T TURN AROUND

8. HAPPY MONDAYS – STEP ON

9. DEGREES OF MOTION ‘DO YOU WANT ME RIGHT NOW’

10. 808 STATE - PACIFIC

11. URBAN SOUL – ALRIGHT

12. GUY CALLED GERALD – VOODOO RAY

13. NEW ORDER/ROCKER’S REVENGE – CONFUSION/WALKING ON SUNSHINE

14. MR LEE – PUMP UP CHICAGO

15. KENNY JAMMIN FEAT FAST EDDIE – CAN U DANCE

16. BLACK BOX – RIDE ON TIME

17. TWIN HYPE – FOR THOSE WHO LIKE TO GROOVE

CD 2

1. ALISON LIMMERICK – WHERE LOVE LIVES

2. INNER CITY – GOOD LIFE

3. RICHIE RICH – SALSA HOUSE

4. DJ MINK – HEY HEY (CAN U RELATE)

5. MR FINGERS – CAN U FEEL IT

6. ORANGE LEMON – DREAMS OF SANTA ANNA

7. T COY – CARINO

8. PRIMAL SCREAM – COME TOGETHER (REMIX)

9. ORBITAL – BELFAST

10. ROBERTA FLACK – UH UH OOH OOH LOOK OUT (HERE IT COMES)

11. YOUNG MC – KNOW HOW

12. KARIYA – BABY LET ME LOVE YOU FOR TONIGHT

13. ROMERO FEAT ROBERT OWENS – BACK IN THE DAY

14. KEVIN SAUNDERSON – DETROIT HUSTLE

15. ROB BASE DJ EZ ROCK – IT TAKES TWO

16. SHANNON – LET THE MUSIC PLAY

17. ERIC B – KNOW YOU GOT SOUL

18. DOUG LAZY – LET IT ROLL

CD 3

1. SUB SUB – SPACE FACE

2. TODD TERRY - WEEKEND

3. PUBLIC ENEMY – REBEL WITHOUT A PAUSE

4. BERRY – TC 1991

5. BASSHEADS – IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE?

6. ERIC B + RAKIM – JUICE

7. AL NAAYFISH – HASHIM

8. FPI PROJECT – EVERYBODY (ALL OVER THE WORLD)

9. LOLLETTA HOLLOWAY – LOVE SENSATION

10. NEW ORDER – RUINED IN A DAY (K – KLASS)

11. FSOL – PAPUA NEW GUINEA

12. SUENO LATINO –SUENO LATINO

13. KING BEE – BACK BY DOPE DEMAND

14. RHYTHM IS RHYTHM – STRINGS OF LIFE

15. STERLING VOID – IT’S ALRIGHT

16. CANDI STATON – YOU’VE GOT THE LOVE

17. JAYDEE ‘PLASTIC DREAMS’

It's a bit of a strange choice to get Hooky to do that and not one of the djs. He was only one of the owners and probably spent most his time in the Gay Traitor, the bar at the back.

For a trainspotters list of more Hacienda-specific music, check out this record shop. Tunes like Robin Wants Revenge, Wild Times, and the boot mix of 2 Hype are what I remember from the house nights and from 808 State's show on Picadilly Radio. I've still got tapes of it knocking about somewhere.

http://www.htfr.com/vinyl/browse-specials/?text=HACIENDA%20CLASSIC\'s

I went to the Hass once. I didn't like it. I felt completely out of place.

I saw one girl there who had her hair pulled up into such a fantastically tight massive ponytail that it made her eyes go all Oriental. On close inspection I could see she was a mad local lass.

I preferred the Cypress Tavern myself.

The Hacienda certainly had it's good days and bad. Lots of bad days at the beginning. The place transformed when the dj/rave culture came in. When was it you went Ocean11?

Quote:
Originally posted by giggsy:
Hooky actually now owns the "Hacienda" brand/name....
Mystery solved.

Most of my mates were into three-chord indiepop so I went on a Thursday more than anything, which was really nothing special. Basically just another student/indie do, but without the goths and psychobillies you'd get on the bouncy floor down the Ritz on a Monday. No cheap drinks either, but they did have Sapporo in a designer can that opened fully at the top like a glass. Something I've never seen in Japan. I only went on a Friday maybe four times 88-89 (a fiver in was a lot in those days), but it was phreaking amazing. 90% dodgy-looking locals all off their box. Lots of them in wacky technicolour gear from Afflecks. It was really intense.

The Brilliant Green. I vaguely remember them - the girl was a (very bad) MTV presenter before starting up right, doing all the Tommy February stuff now?

Had some mad nights myself at the Hacienda. Top, "special", place.

Actually both Hooky and Rob Gretton bought the name after it shut its doors. Gretton is no longer with us, so I think it's just Hooky that owns it now.

Tony Wilsons son has recently licensed the name for a "Hacienda night" he was doing.

On each of the 3 cds there's some kind of "intro" (they're calling it) from Gretton. Tony Wilson, and Mike Pickering/Marting Hannett. (Not heard it).

Hooky said he was looking at all the Cream compilations and "they're always shit", so thought he'd do a Hacienda one.

More hacienda stuff here

http://www.thehaciendamustbebuilt.co.uk

Also:

There's a Hacienda launch party at Sankeys Soap on April 8th with Hooky & Mike Pickering Djing... The Hacienda Live is coming soon!

Play Music Management in association with Peter Hook are proud present the following Haçienda classics nights.

April 8th 2006 Sankey Soap Manchester

May 27th 2006 Cream

August 26th 2006 Creamfields

August 26th/27th 2006 Get Loaded in the Park

----

Looks like Hooky might actually make some money out of it in the end.... 10 years after it shut down.

Funny that.

69 - yeah but tommy february is crap pop stuff whereas brilliant green were indie rock heavily inspired by Ride, an old 90s british group that I really like.

I used to be really into Madchester stuff, but I think its all crap now. The Stone Roses used to be worshipped by me but now I just think Ian Brown is a total charlatan (excuse the pun). I saw them live when they released second coming and it was biggest let down ever, they were totally useless just stood motionless on stage with Ian Brown hopelessly out of tune. I mean he is worse than even your average guy on the street at the kareoke, how on earth can he call himself a singer? I dont mind a bit of grit and edginess in a voice (Cobain, Van Morrison etc) but when you cant even hit the notes then I dont think you can be called a singer. One thing that really bugs me is when people with no talent become successful.

New Morrissey album. On 2 listens, I like it.

Just read an interview with the man.

Quote:
His only previous pronouncement on this subject came 20 years ago: "I always thought my genitals were the result of some crude practical joke." And indeed, Morrissey's testicles are no normal testicles. Judging by the metaphor here, they are massively distended, swollen - presumably by decades of loudly trumpeted celibacy - until they resemble "explosive kegs between my legs".
lol.gif

About the Hacienda, this is a good quote

"Peter Hook once claimed that New Order would have been better off if they’d given ten pounds to everyone who ever came to the Hacienda, sent them home, and not bothered with the club at all."

I just bought Wild Wood from a 2nd hand shop. Good innit. The eponymous song is very addictive. I don't know why the hero or heroine deserves all those good things now, but I feel sure they must. Portishead did a nice mix of that too.